• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    4/7/2010

Session 50

Squat: 240# x 5 x 3 (80% day)

Bench: 175# x 5 x 3

Dead: 315# x 3 x 2

Nothing remarkable with squats, so on to bench. I think I realized today that my hands have been overextending at the wrists, causing me to lose support for the weight after a few reps. I actually looked at my right hand mid-rep today (don't ask me why) and straightened things out at the top. Bench is still hard for me, but this just made things a tad easier. Still going to continue the 2.5# microload; don't think I helped myself out that much.

Deadlift was a mo-fo, but still, not much problem in getting it pulled up, still with double hook-grip. Our fitness center here at work only has a total of six 45# plates, and I'm using them all for deadlift, and will soon for squats. Still a ways to go, for now, until I'm ready to add another, but at least I can use a 35/10 combo when I get there. Anyhow, a bit a tough go, but overall today went really well. Gotta get to work on a power rack for home.
    Last edited by Tim Lofton; 04-07-2010 at 02:44 PM.

4/9/2010

Weekly weigh-in: 201#

Session 50a

Squat: 305# x 2, 305 x 5, 305 x 2

Dips: BW for 7-10-8

Chins/pulls: Three various sets

Well, not your textbook SS workout. It was supposed to be squat, press, and PCs, but after a couple of so-so nights of sleep and not super enthusiastic about things, I thought about trying some 3RM lifts. Standard warm-up found me feeling fairly lackluster, so I decided today was not a day for 3RM.
    Thought it best to, at least, try to get my squat sets. Felt strong enough on the first set but got a bit off-balance and put the bar down. Second set complete but with a shakey couple of last reps that came very close to not happening. Third set, legs kind of twitchy and head not in the game, so after the second rep, I racked the bar and stopped. Obviously, this weight will be repeated on Monday.
    From this point I just decided to get some assistance exercises in. I hadn't done dips in almost a year, so I thought I'd see what I could do. I'd like to work these in, but am not sure where or if I'm at a point where I could benefit versus hampering recovery.
    Chins/pulls were a mixed bag with some neutral grip, narrow grip, and somewhat lame form L-sit pull-ups.
    Had a study to get completed at work that had been worrying me about the time involved, so this somewhat shorter workout still got me in to do some work and out again to get back to reality. It was nice to have a little variety in there as well. Back to it in a couple of days.

5/12/2010

Session 59

Squat: 225# x 5 x 2

Bench: 150# x 5 x 2

Dips: 10 sets of three, bodyweight

Returning to linear progression as running just wasn't taking off with me and the 5/3/1 program was driving me crazy. I will still do some trail running throughout the summer, but am going to temper some of the initial plans I had for really long distance stuff. Ready to get back to steady strength training.
    After the 70sBig 225 challenge on Monday, I felt a fairly light day was in order. My hamstrings were pretty sore, so I opted out of deadlifts today. Friday will be a slightly higher day as I prepare to realign back into the linear track again. Looking forward to it.

5/14/2010

Weekly weigh-in: 200#

Session 60

Squat: 260# x 5 x 3

Press: 105# x 5 x 3

Chins: 4 sets of 3, 1 set of 2; one minute rest between sets

Getting back on the linear progression track. Re-entry weights felt about right, though I'm still a bit sore from the 20-rep squats on Monday. Was shooting for five sets of three chin-ups; not quite. A couple of days off then back to it.

5/17/2010

Session 61

Squat: 265# x 5 x 3

Bench: 160# x 5 x 3

Kroc rows: 45#, 17 right, 16 left

Plowed right through everything. Heard some music in the gym I use at work and it took me back a bit to an old girlfriend of days gone past and how we parted ways. The weight has never surged so forcefully.

5/19/2010

Squat: 215# x 5 x 3 (80% day)

Press: 110# x 5 x 3

Dead: 275# x 3 x 2

Return to linear progression at appropriate weights I guess as everything was pushed, pulled, and squatted in good shape. Not much to comment on.

5/21/2010

Session 63

Squat: 270# x 5 x 3

Bench: 165# x 5 x 3

C&J: 95# x 1 x 10, rep every 2 min.

Squat and bench went fine. C&J was a bit tough over the last five as I started lacking some oomph in the clean portion. Lots of little form things to work on with empty bar and/or lighter weights. Tis' the weekend however.

5/24/2010

Session 64

C&J (5 heavy singles): 95#-105-115-125-135

Snatch (sets across, on the minute): 85# x 10

First week of blending in O-lifts with SS linear progression so, yes, I'm NDTP. I'm still squatting heavy twice per week, taking out the 80% day on Wednesday; bench and press 1x each per week; and deadlift once per week, which isn't a change. So a bit of deviation from advanced novice program I was using, but not much and still going to maintain linear progression, so I will continue to log here.
    As expected, form a bit sloppy here and there though the 135 C&J went very well I thought. Still trying to work out between split and squat snatch, so doing both at the moment.

5/25/2010

Session 65

Squat: 275# x 5 x 3

Press: 115# x 5 x 3

Chins: 5 x 3, on the minute

Initially, I wasn't looking forward to squats today as I had some residual soreness/fatigue in the hips and legs. I took a protracted warm-up and took it a little easier than usual, which seemed to work. Set-by-set they didn't get easier, as usual, but they weren't all that hard either. Yeah I had to grit through a couple, but was never that close to failing.
    Press went well, especially as I realized last press session that my bar path was an inch or two forward of center or midfoot. It was just enough to make things hard, but now that I've corrected, all sets went fine.
    Chins were tough, especially after press, and the last couple did not have my chin completely clear the bar.
    Looking forward to a good night of sleep tonight with an off day tomorrow.

starting strength coach development program
    5/27/2010

Session 66

Snatch (work up to heavy single): 75# - 85 - 95 - 105 - 115

C&J (sets across, every 2 min.): 100# x 8

Need to do some technique work this weekend on the triple extension portion of the snatch; probably some more Burgener warm-up as well. Also need to work on dropping under the bar faster on the jerk. Squat, bench, dead tomorrow...

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast