• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    5/28/2010

Session 66

Squat: 280# x 5 x 3

Bench: 170# x 5 x 3

Dead: 285# x3 x 2

Not much to say. I haven't had a day where all three lifts went this well - almost easy - in a while. Had the day off of work today, so didn't have to get up at 4:15 a.m. to get in to work. Slept in, good breakfast, relaxing morning, then into my secondary gym. Lot of dudes in there doing cable work, bench press, tricep skull crushers, etc. Not once in the nearly two hours I was there did anyone need the power rack. Good for me I guess. Did feel a bit sheepish with my 285 dead just after one of the regulars, who is back from Iraq for a while, was pulling around 500 to 550#.
    Will do some O-lift technique work with the bar this weekend including some Burgener warm-up.
    Thanks to all who have, or are, serving. My sincere condolences to those families who have lost someone in service to our communities and country.

5/31/2010

Session 67

C&J (heavy singles): 125# x 5

Snatch (sets across, on the minute): 90# x 7

First real workout at home. Finally got a small portion of the garage cleaned up enough to do this type of workout. Really need to get a different bar for O-lifts as this one has a pretty generous diameter and is hard to grip for this work. Can't wait to get a rack either; still scanning Craigslist.
    Anyhow everything felt heavy today and my shoulders and upper back are letting me know about it. May keep this weight for the next session as well as I feel some more technique work is needed and it's pointless to progress unless I do so. Not the prettiest workout, but it was still nice to get some work in for the day.

6/1/2010

Session 68

Squat: 285# x 5 x 3

Press: 120# x 5 x 3

Chins: 1-2-3-4-5-4-3-2-1, 1' rest per chin-up ascending, 30" rest per chin-up descending

Good session today. Focused on knees apart, mainly to have something to think about. Worked well and squats were done in good rhythm.
    Press was slightly difficult after yesterday's O-lifts. Got off balance by a small step once or twice, in part because I think I was bringing my torso forward too hard once the bar cleared my forehead. Otherwise things went well.
    Chins went well until the set of five, where I only did about a 3/4 rep. This held true on the sets descending, where the last rep of each was a partial, except for the final chin-up, which was complete. I wanted to stick with it and complete the ladder to the best of my ability.
    Rest day tomorrow; arms and shoulders will appreciate it.

6/3/2010

Session 70

Snatch (heavy singles): 95# x 5

C&J (sets across, every 2'): 105# x 7

Snatches went better today than on Monday. I like doing the split snatch and so will probably stick with that technique.
    C&J were okay, though I did manage to clean the bar up into the bottom of my chin once - not sure why I did that, a bit over zealous maybe. Will continue to work technique/Burgener warm-up sequences with light bar over the weekend.

6/4/2010

Session 71

Weekly weigh-in: 202#

Squat: 290# x 5 x 3

Bench: 175# x 5 x 3

Dead: 295# x 3 x 2

Nothing of significance. Arms a bit sore from bench as I think I had the bar a bit too low and unracking was a bit more challenging; nothing serious though. Deads went well; hook grip and no chalk. Time to rest with a bit of light O-lift technique work over the weekend.

6/7/2010

Session 72

C&J (heavy singles): 105# - 115 - 125 - 135 - 145

Snatch (sets across, on the minute): 85# x 7

Dropped sets across snatch back to 85 as this is really for technique work and shouldn't be real close to what I do for the heavy singles. Glad I did as I felt a bit sharper doing these.

6/8/2010

Session 73

Squat: 295# x 5 x 3

Press: 125# x 5 x 3

Chins: 5-5-3, last three with 10#

Well after about a five to six hour night of sleep last night, I expected to be a bit flat today. As expected things were definitely tougher today than in recent workouts. No specific comments as everything, across the board, was hard today - and that's okay. I finished all sets, though the last two press reps were close to not going.
    I've got a fair amount of soreness in my arms, especially around the biceps which, I'm guessing, is from the O-lifts yesterday. I need to make sure I'm not jerking my cleans with my arms and producing some strain that way. I don't think I am and maybe it's just residual soreness.
    A good night of sleep and a scheduled rest day tomorrow will, hopefully, have things right again.

6/14/2010

Session 74

Squat: 300# x 5 x 3

Bench: 180# x 4, 177.5 x 5, 177.5 x 3

Assistance: Mix of Kroc rows and pul-ups

Missed some days towards the end of last week, so I felt a bit off today. Ran some trails for a couple of hours on Saturday but still felt pretty rested. Squat went well, though I got a bit too upright on a few of the later reps, and a bit of knee cave. Now that I'm back to 300, I need to concentrate on pushing the knees out again.
    Bench was as I kind of expected. Last time at 175, it was a bit challenging on the last few reps. I probably should have microloaded to 177.5 right off today but really wanted one more five pound increased. Not to happen today and felt really fatigued on the last set. Repeat this weight next week.
    Assistance was fun but tiring.

starting strength coach development program
    6/18/2010

Weekly weigh-in: 202#

Session 75

Squat (80%): 240# x 5 x 2

Press: 130# x 5 x 3

Dead: 305# x 3 x 2

Squat easy; press hard, but will try to get through 135# before microloading; deads went very well, looking forward to 315# next week. A couple of hours of hilly trail running tomorrow otherwise rest up.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678