starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Track Junkie Hits the Gym

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I made a 10 lb jump in my press today, even though I hadn't trained it in the last week. That was... accidental. The squats are going to move to 5 lb jumps now. I should probably stop trying to exercise before school, it seems like there's never quite enough time.

I felt confident and decided to go for the 225 lb squat yesterday which went really well. Then, I went and bench 135 and deadlifted diddly squat. I think I need to spend more time on the deadlift.

Maybe switch up the order of exercises for a bit, hit the Deadlift first?

From your other posts, it sounds like your deadlift issues are probably related to your grip. You might want to do some back-off sets after your work set to get some more grip training in. Or, maybe someone else can give some grip training suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Maybe switch up the order of exercises for a bit, hit the Deadlift first?
    Yeah, I'd wondered about that, but wasn't sure if I wanted to fuck with the program like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Platus View Post
    From your other posts, it sounds like your deadlift issues are probably related to your grip. You might want to do some back-off sets after your work set to get some more grip training in. Or, maybe someone else can give some grip training suggestions?
    That sounds like a good suggestion.

I think I might take a brief jaunt into the programming section.

I don't suppose I can blame grip strength for the difference between my 200 lb machine bench and 135 lb barbell bench?
    Last edited by TrackJunkie; 01-30-2010 at 04:16 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm taking a bit of a detor for a while. I'm changing up the exercises in my program, but I'm keeping the heart and soul of SS, which I feel is linear progression. I'm switching my focus briefly to deadlifts. I've heard it said that any program followed with intensity is better than the best program followed without heart, and I think if I can come back into SS with a deadlift that's roughly proportional to my squat, I'll be a lot better for it. My workout today was powercleans up to 111lbs as a warmup for deadlifts, followed by actual deadlift warmups to about 185, and then I just threw on 10 lb plates until I couldn't move the weight for sets of three. Once I hit about 240 on an alternate grip, I finally felt the right muscles straining against the weight. I'm not sure how many sets of three I did once I got there, but I did at least two at that weight maybe three or four? Who knows. Today was sort of an "instinctual training" day I guess.
    Then, I went down to around 180lbs I think, and walked the weight back and forth for a bit.
    Then, I dropped to 110lbs and did some standing rows.
    Take that weak grip! Next stop: better lifting shoes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12