starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cervicornis Learns to Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    OK, back to the log. Have been dieting for exactly 2 months, weight is down from 205 to a current 182. Very happy how quick and easy the fat came off. I did lose some strength across the board, about 10-20# on all the lifts. I am confident I can get back to my max numbers within a couple of weeks as soon as I am eating at maintenance again. Heavy lifting while on a restricted diet sucks. I plan to diet down a bit further, and then get back on the horse.

New goals: 315 for reps on the squat and 500 1RM on the deadlift. Without gaining any body fat. Hopefully in 4-6 months from now.

This will be a work in progress, but the idea is to eat slightly above maintenance to facilitate gains, with occasional week-long fat-cutting periods. Ex. gain ~4 lbs of body weight (presumably a 50/50 split between LBM and fat) and then shed the fat quickly, and repeat. Unlike my first round of SS, I intend to mix in other activities like surfing and BJJ, which are also important to me. I won't progress as quickly, but that's a worthwhile trade off.

Current numbers on my very low-carb, calorically restricted diet (sets across):

Squat: 250 (was 270)
    Dead: 350 (was 365)
    Press: 140 (was 155)
    Bench: 215 (was 227.5)
    Clean 135* (was 165)

Elbow tendonitis flared up about 8 weeks ago (hmmm, right around the time I stopped eating enough). It comes and goes and I've been training around it, and seems to be slowly clearing up. I stopped cleans for a while as a result, and then reset to a much lower weight to facilitate recovery.

March 5, 2010

Squat: 255 x 5 x 3
    Bench: 217.5 x 5 x 3
    Dead: 355 x 5 x 1

The squat felt real good, some form tweaks seem to be paying off. I'm trying to keep my upper body as tight as possible and I'm not dive-bombing to the bottom, like I used to. Really concentrating on keeping my abs tight and my back in extension all the way down and back up. Depth is still just slightly below parallel.

Bench felt very heavy and the deadlift is right at the limit.

March 9, 2010

Squat 290 x 1 (PR)
    Bench 235 x 1 (PR)
    Deadlift 405 x fail

Decided to test out my 1RM today. I've never tested my squat or bench prior to today, though I did make a half-ass attempt at 280 on the squat a few weeks ago (and failed). 280 went up without excessive difficulty so I gave 290 a shot. I'm very pleased with this, considering the fact that I've lost about 25 lbs. of body weight in the last 10 weeks.

I think I have another 5-10 lbs. in me on the bench, but my elbow is a little iffy and I didn't want to push it to the limit.

I pulled this weight on the deadlift right at the end of my first round of SS, but it wasn't happening today. I broke it off the ground but just died after moving it a few inches. I can still feel my last heavy deadlift workout, so
    I feel confident this weight will go if I'm well rested. A good day, overall.

March 12, 2010

Squat 260 x 5 x 3
    Press 142.5 x 5 x 3
    Clean 140 x 3 x 5

I still feel a little beat up from Friday's workout, and I didn't eat anything today (IF'ing for 24 hours once every 7-10 days). I felt good on the first couple of reps on all the above, but finishing each set became a real grind.

March 16, 2010

Squat 265 x 4 x 2, 265 x 2
    Bench 220 x 5 x 2, 220 x 4
    Deadlift 355 x 5 x 1

Body weight is 180 lbs. This appears to be the limit of my strength, I failed at sets across on the squat and bench, and just barely scraped through the deadlift. That last rep felt like 400 lbs. I'm not eating enough to facilitate recovery, so I don't expect to increase strength until I'm eating normally again.

starting strength coach development program
    May 21, 2010

Just realized my last three posts show the wrong month, those should all read April. I don't know what the hell was going on there, this diet must be frying my brain.

Anyway, nearly done with this dieting nonsense and am itching to return to a proper progression. Body weight is 178. Have shed nearly 30 lbs. of fat and I think I actually gained some muscle, which is hard to believe. Plan to start the Texas Method in 3-4 weeks from now.

I spent the last month training lower volume at 70-85% 1RM intensity. As I've gotten leaner, it's become very difficult to hit sets across at any meaningful weight.

Squat 245 x 1, 265 x 3
    Bench 235 x 1, 240 x 1 (PR), 245 x 1 (PR)
    Deadlift 365 x 2, 345 x 3

The squats were really hard, haven't attempted anything over 245 in over a month. Got a PR on the bench, which came as a surprise. Deadlift was terribly heavy and I didn't have much left in the tank at that point.

Can't wait to start TM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123