starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: John's training log

Default John's training log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Been using linear progression for 5 months now. Figuring diet was the hardest, becuase I was 212# when I started.

Current status: 5'10" 235# 28yo

weight (all numbers in pounds) x sets x reps
    Back Squat: 345x3x5
    Deadlift: 390x1x5
    Shoulder Press: 172x3x5
    Bench Press: 255x3x5
    Powerclean: 192x5x3

Feeling like I am stalling out of linear progression though.
    My back squat took 3 workouts to get 345x3x5. Moved to 350# but my knees are burning b/c I think my knees collapsed.
    My shoulder press is down to 1 pound increments per workout
    My bench press is down to 2.5 pound increments per workout
    My powerclean is down to 2 pound increments per workout and my friend told me that I am slow (??)
    My deadlift is gassing me out by the fifth rep, and form is failing too
    After reading Starr's Strongest Shall Survive I have shifted to cottage cheese and a couple gallons of milk, really watching my carbs. Also have to maintain my swimming times for the Navy. PRT is coming up and I have about 8 weeks, doing 10 - 15 minute swim time.

This weeks goal:
    Monday (1.25)
    Swim 10 minutes

Tuesday (1/26)
    BS: 350x3x5
    B: 260x3x5
    DL: 395x3x5
    Chinups: bw+10# 3x10

Wednsday (1/27)
    Swim 11 minutes

Thursday (1/28)
    BS: 355x3x5
    OHP: 173x3x5
    PC: 194x5x3
    Pullups: bw+5# 3x10

Friday (1/29)
    Swim 12 minutes

Saturday (1/30)
    BS: 360x3x5
    B: 265x3x5
    DL: 400x3x5
    Situps: bw+20# 4x20

Protein intake weekly is roughly: 2.5 gallons of milk, 3 cartons of cottage cheese, 6-7 cans of tuna, 1.5 dozen free range eggs.

Reason for posting is for other eyes to identify flaws, motivation, and accountability.
    My goal is to stay around 225-235# range and achieve 200 OHP, 275 PC, 315 Bench, 405 Squat, and 495 DL.

Anyone in the Mystic, CT area please let me know!

Tuesday (1/26) workout was killer. Got the BS 350x3x5 but the last rep was shit. I failed to suck in more air and went for it thinking if I explode up quickly no worries. Well my chest collapsed half way up and I was so pissed off at myself. The mind is the hardest thing to control. The Bench went well and my partner told me that my form was spot on for the all sets. The DL was killer. The last rep was again gassing me out. I believe that DL and SQ may need shifting to 2 pound jumps instead of 5 pound jumps. Give 2 pound jumps a try for 3 weeks then re-evaluate shifting to Texas Method.

Nice lifts. What's your MOS in the Navy?

Machinist Mate, Submarine Service. You in the MC or Navy?

Default 1/28 lift gone bad

Today did good warm up and stretch then got under the bar and began to squat. Turned on the Led Zep (Levee Breaks) and it really helped me get focused, had a runner on a treadmill in front of me. On base we have a female oriented gym, and I am not complaining about women working out at the bigger gym.... If you are going to work out where the majority of guys work out don't get dolled up and cute, come to workout. Running in a skort is bad for concentration when the skort is hiked up too high, but good for other things.

Squatted 350x3x5 but after the second set my right bicep began to hurt, I think I failed to keep my arms in the correct position and the weight slid down and the bicep got injured. The squats felt good though and excited to hit it up on Saturday if the arm feels better shooting for 352x3x5

Scrapped the rest of the workout press and pc. Came home uploaded last weeks videos of lifting and realized my power cleans suck!!!! need to reread the book. Luckily I got the mid watch coming up so I will have nothing but time.

2/2 report

1/30
    Same thing with squat hurting my right arm, but not until the third set. It is improving, and someone posted a similiar issue in the technique section that might help next workout (today). I did do OHP with 115 for 5x5 and really really worked on my PC form with 155#. I skipped the chinups and substituted with situps 4x20 with 25# (hurts!!)

2/1
    Biked to the pool - easy gears. Swam for 15 or so minutes, really working on foward crawl form. Also did a 400 medley - butterfly will kick your ass people.

2/2
    Shooting for 360x3x5 with no arm hurting. I am stoked b/c thursday (2/4) will be 365 which is a mini goal for me. 3 45's and 25 on each side - it is a mental thing.

Bench is 265x3x5 - worried that I might need to shift from 5 pound jumps, 260x3x5 was tough, we will see.

DL is 400x1x5 - posted previous DL for form check and every report was it was good. Hope to continue. Don't really want to think that I have to shift to halted DL and rack pulls this early, but if necessary to get 500 so be it.

Pullup and Chinup routine is getting tougher, adding weight and keeping 3x10 range. Up to 10 pounds and starting to fail by third set. Want to get to 3x10 with 25# and then begin to reduce the rest period to 2 minutes. Once completed 2 weeks straing shift to 5x5 and more weight.

More to follow after workout.

Quote Originally Posted by Gottatri2lift View Post
    Machinist Mate, Submarine Service. You in the MC or Navy?
    Former Army. I figured if you are in CT then you probably work with submarines in some capacity.

Nice log so far!

Quote Originally Posted by Gottatri2lift View Post

2/1
    Biked to the pool - easy gears. Swam for 15 or so minutes, really working on foward crawl form. Also did a 400 medley - butterfly will kick your ass people.

More to follow after workout.
    My nine year old daughter loves the fly and makes it look easy, but then she's on a swim team. She swam her first competitive 500 free a couple of weeks ago. I'm not sure how I made it through 5 1/2 years in the Navy and I swim like I'm undergoing electroshock therapy. Welcome to the board!

tim

2/2 not a bad workout.

Got BS 360x3x5/5/4/1 - felt my knees slide a bit, going to redo the weight again on 2/4. I was lacking mental focus which allows my mind to overthink parts of the lift while lifting. Diet and mental focus can make or break you!

Bench is ready to shift to smaller jumps then 5 pounds. Can't complain though. 265x3x5/5/3. I really don't care too much about my bench weight. I like the OHP more and my goal is 315x3x5 by this summer which I think is attainable even with 2 pound jumps.

DL rocked!! Flush with confidence from my form check in the technique section I added a leather belt from the gym and pulled 395x1x5 and it felt strong!!!! I am stoked. 105 pounds away from my goal. Only question that I will post to Coach is the use of a those shitty leather belts. 4 inch back and 2 inch front and maybe a 1/2 inch thick. I tightened the belt and rotated the belt 180 degrees so the 4 inch back was in the front. Anyone see a problem with that?

I skipped chinups today b/c of the bicep injury and did 115x2x10 shoulder press, a half assed Starr rehab. I think my right bicep is the issue, but it might be more then bicep and include the right shoulder.

starting strength coach development program
    IWillLiveFreeOrDie - when I saw MOS I thought Marines. and luckily I am on shore duty teaching and evaluating fire fighting tactics. Duty every 13 days is great compared to the 3 or 4 day duty onboard.

With that handle do you live in New Hampshire?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast