starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dusty's Iron Odyssey

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    "DEADLIFT : 120KG x3 x5"

Is this a typo or are you actually doing 3 sets? That'll be hard to recover from if you're doing it all often.

Also are you doing sets of 5 on cleans? Sets of 3 are recommended to prevent form breaking down during the set.

Numbers look good on the lifts though to start with, keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnetotail View Post
    "DEADLIFT : 120KG x3 x5"

Is this a typo or are you actually doing 3 sets? That'll be hard to recover from if you're doing it all often.

Also are you doing sets of 5 on cleans? Sets of 3 are recommended to prevent form breaking down during the set.

Numbers look good on the lifts though to start with, keep it up.
    Good catch yea this is a typo I only did 1 working set at 120kg though it wasn't pretty.
    In regard to the cleans Yea I did 3 sets of 5 rep's today? But now you got me thinking! hold on my books handy.....

In table 8-2,Example warm up/work set distibutions on page 292 of the 2nd edition SS, it shows reps 5 sets 3.
    Dose everyone advise doing 3 rep sets?

Cranked out another round of workout A yeasterday, Fri 5th.

the numbers:
    Squat 2x5@20kg
    1x5@40kg
    1x3@60kg
    1x2@70kg
    3x5@87.5kg - 193lbs
    felt great no prob with depth used med ball to be sure, suprised at lack of difference in the feel of it.

Bench press 2x5@20kg
    1x5@40kg
    1x3@60kg
    1x2@75kg
    1x5@87.5KG I WAS LOOKING AT THE WRONG NUMBERS WHEN I LOADED THE BAR, BUT IT WENT UP NICLEY, REAL GOOD TO KNOW.
    2X5@82.5KG - 182lbs This should have been the wieght for all working sets.

Deadlift 2x5@50kg
    1x3@75kg
    1x2@105kg
    1x5@125kg used mixed grip on the working set seemed to really improve my form felt very tight no big problems completing the lift.

So, I was at my sisters house the other day and she is currently winning the war with her wieght so she had a set of scales sitting .Couldn't resist.
    As it stands with clothes and boots I'm 198.2lbs
    not sure of the muscle / fat ratio but strength is good.

Thought for today :
    Spring Cleaning, Spring clean your mind. Brush away the cobwebs of guilt. Scrub out the stains of anxiety. Hoover up the dust of depression. Exfoliate the dead skin of inadaquacy.
    Take your brain to the dry cleaners, don't lose the ticket.

Mon 8th workout B

Straight into the numbers
    Squat : 2x5@20kg
    1x5@40kg
    1x3@65kg
    1x2@75kg
    3x5@90kg - 198.4lbs

Press : 2x5@20kg
    1x5@30kg
    1x3@40kg
    1x2@45kg
    2x5@57.5kg - 126lbs failure on the last rep 2nd set finished with a push press.
    1x6@50kg pressed until I failed, 7th rep.

Powerclean : 2x5@20kg
    1x5@30kg
    1x3@40kg
    1x2@50kg
    5x3@62.5kg - 137lbs working sets were pretty hard going glad I listened to Mangetotail .

Going to reset my Press to 50kg for working sets see how it goes, any advice?

Thought for today :
    High and Low’s, we talk about the ‘the height of folly’ and ‘the depth of despair’. why is folly HIGH? and despair DEEP. Challenge conventional wisdom, experience the depth of folly and the heights of despair.

Any way the wife’s looking particularly good to night, going to see how my luck holds out. ( I must remember to floss my balls )

"Going to reset my Press to 50kg for working sets see how it goes, any advice?"

Have you thought about microloading? My pressing movements are generally pretty poor in comparison to the rest of my training, and the only way I get anywhere now with my overheard press is microloading.

I bought a long, thick-ish chain from a hardware store, then just cut it down to size so that I had two chains collectively weighing 1.25kg. There's threads on here about alternatives to buying micro plates. My press is moving up nicely thanks to this, it might help you push through 57.5kg.

Thank's Mangetotail,
    Chain could be the way to go the smallest plate's I have are 1.25kg each. 2 lengths weighing 625g, that could work.
    Should I still reset then use Chain?

If I was you I'd reset to maybe 52.5/53.75/55. You know best how you feel. Depends how 57.5kg felt, and how progression has been over the last few sessions. If it'd had been progressing nicely until today when you came to a stall, maybe go for 55. That way you'll back at trying 57.5kg by the end of next week.

Though given you failed on the second set, this might suggest going back one or two more sessions would be useful to give you a good run at getting past 57.5kg. As I said, it depends how you feel with the weight you're at, that means more than arbitrary percentage deloads and so on.

PS. I like the new name you've given me! It'll be Mingetotail next.

EDIT: I just noticed this was you're first attempt 57.5kg. If you think you can make this weight next time, do that. If not, try something from above. You know best.

Yea I've been slapped more than once, going stright for the MINGETOTAIL. Thought I'd ease my way into it!

Wed 10th
    The numbers
    Squat : 2x5@20kg
    1x5@45kg
    1x3@65kg
    1x2@85kg
    3x5@92.5kg - 204lbs I’m really pleased with my progress on the squat It all seems to have the same difficulty level !

Bench press 2x5@20kg
    1x5@40kg
    1x3@55kg
    1x2@75kg
    3x5@85kg - 187lbs last couple of reps are starting to get slower but I think I’ve got plenty of room to go yet !

Deadlift 2x5@50kg
    1x5@60kg
    1x3@75kg
    1x2@110kg
    1x5@130kg - 286lbs I’m working up to my PR @ 155kg and right now I feel like I’m going to smash it.

I’ve been thinking about pressing on Fri I’m going to reset to 52.5kg and if I stall or fail when I get back to 57.5 I think it’s probably time to start micro loading.

Thought for the day:
    Your Mind. Your mind is like the surface of a lake. It is calm and smooth, until anxious thoughts ruffle the glassy expanse. Empty your mind. Drain the lake. Refill it with Scotch.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi all,
    I haven’t posted in a couple of days due to spontaneous development of internal genitalia ! I have officially become a PUSSY.
    On Fri I awoke to find pain on moving my right hip so did the sensible thing decided to leave training until Saturday. When Saturday came Sunday looked better, and so on until today where I find my hip marginally better but the rest of me is rearing to go! So tomorrow I plan to move into Workout B maybe with squats maybe not, we’ll see.
    Any way I apologize to any one who gives a fuck and leave you with a …

Thought for the day:
    Ignorance is bliss, Even Oedipus would agree he ruined a geat sex life. You can ask too many questions.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast