Thread: Magnetotail's training log

Default Wednesday 17/02/2010

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Bodyweight: 88.3kg

Bench Press:
    5,4 - 100kg
    2x6 - 90kg

Just kind of messed around today cause I still feel pretty rough. I really miss squatting, I'm hoping to be able to go light friday and monday and then be good to start heavy again wednesday. Would quite happily have not gone today, but felt like doing something.

Eating is much better, hopefully get my bodyweight up over 90kg for the first time soon, and my recovery should be much better from then. I'll reset to 92.5kg on the bench and hopefully with the better recovery I should push past 100kg when I get back to it.

Default Friday 19/02/2010

Squats:
    3x5 - 110kg

Press:
    1x4 - 63.75kg
    5,5 - 55kg

Power Clean:
    5x3 - 70kg

Squats still hurt, even with such a light weight. I'm just gonna push through it though I think, cause my workouts feel so empty without squats. I'll squat heavy-ish on monday, maybe 140kg, and go from there with my new plan.

I thought I might miss the press, but not in the first set. My form was all over the place, so I'm going to start over at 55kg, adding 2.5kg a time and hopefullly push past this in a couple of weeks. I'm blaming all my recent failings on illness/poor eating resulting in awful recovery. Not things are getting back on track as this cold fades away and I'm starting to eat more again I think I should be good to progress some more with linear progression after taking a step back in a few of my lifts.

Decided to start power cleans again, cause they are quite fun. Need to properly read the chapter in SS again and get my technique down. 70kg was very easy weight wise, just wanted to get a feel for cleans again.

Overall, despite recent setbacks I feel like I'm in a good place to move forward again. Going to drop the bench to 92.5, press to 55, squat to 140 and move up from there hopefully with good recovery. I'll squat heavy 3 times a fortnight at 3x5 and deadlift once a fortnight, as follows:

Week 1:

Monday: Squat, Bench, Clean
    Wednesday: Light Squat, Press, Weighted Chin Ups
    Friday: Squat, Bench, Clean

Week 2:

Monday: Very light squats, Press, Deadlift
    Wednesday: Squat, Bench, Weighted Chin Ups
    Friday: Light Squat, Press, Clean

Usual sets/reps of 3x5, 5x3 or 1x5 for the appropriate exercise.

Default Monday 22/02/2010

Squat:
    3x5 - 150kg

Bench Press:
    3x5 - 92.5kg

Clean:
    5x3 - 75kg

Groin hurt after the squat a bit, but I think it's ok to push through the pain, it feels like it's slowly going away so I'm just going to work through it as planned. This felt like really hard work today, probably because it's been a while since I've squatted heavy.

Bench was harder than it should have been, but recovery should have been better recently so I'll just get on with it for now. I think this may also have felt harder because I hadn't done heavy squats for a while and I was just exhausted after those. Probably wasn't used to that feeling recently.

On cleans I have such a hard time brushing my thighs with the bar. This weight is still relatively light for me but it's such a difficult movement to critique yourself on because it's goes way too fast for me to think about how I'm doing every little step. I'll keep going up and keep working at it.

Overall a tough day, even with some resets, first time in a while I've done a full workout but it felt good.

Default Wednesday 24/02/2010

Bodyweight: 88.5kg

Overhead Press:
    3x5 - 60kg

Chin Ups:
    5,5,4 - BW +20kg

Default Friday 26/02/2010

Squat:
    1x3 - 160kg

Bench Press:
    3,3,3,3,2 - 100kg

Started cleaning but the pain in my elbow was horrendous. Still rehabbing damaged radial nerves in my arms from about a year ago, and some stuff in the gym gives it problems - ie. cleans and chin ups. Will be cutting out cleans until this problem appears to have fully resolved.

Didn't feel great on the squat. I could have made the last rep on the bench but my spotter took it too early.

Default Monday 01/03/2010

Bodyweight: 88.2kg

Deadlift:
    3,1 - 200kg

Press:
    3,3,3,2,4 - 65kg

No idea how my bodyweight stayed above 88kg after having just 2 big meals over the weekend and a fraction of my usual milk intake.

I was very happy to pull 200 for 3 reps, but my breathing was horrendous. I found it really difficult to get a decent full breath before pulling. I couldn't tell if it was the belt or the cough I've had for about 3 years that happens to be worse at the minute. For this reason I didn't even try after the first rep of my planned second set of 3, I just wasn't feeling it.

I've moved to 5 sets of 3 on the pressing movements. I much prefer it cause I feel like even if the first set is really hard I can still push out more sets of 3 after. Failed the 3rd rep on my 4th set, though I still felt like I had it in me. This made me re-evaluate my grip width, as it felt too close. I noticed my elbows weren't perpendicular to the floor half way up the rep so I moved the grip out a few inches. Felt way, way stronger and managed 4 reps just to show myself that technique had held me back and not my strength at that weight.

starting strength coach development program
    Bench Press:
    3,3,3,3,2 - 102.5kg

Chin Ups:
    10,8,6 - BW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12