starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sgsolberg Finishing Strong

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Today was my first day back at more or less full speed. I can still feel a day-day improvement in my strength coming back from the flu. I was feeling pretty good today. Minor issues include a tweaked back from Tuesday, some IT band issues on my left leg, and slightly stiff elbows. Nothing in this list held me back today.

Squat: 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x3, 330x5x3. 4-5 mins rest between sets.
    This was awesome. I got fired up before each set and the bar came rocketing up. I videoed my third set and I felt pretty good about depth and form. I feel pretty confident in new PR's next week.

Bench: 95x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 205x3x5. ~4 mins between sets.
    I really enjoyed benching triples on Monday, and am going to try progressing with this format for a while. I had been struggling with 5's for a bit, so 3's may help me get past this.

Chins: 7-5-5. ~2 mins rest between sets.
    I was running out of time tonight, so I rushed these a bit.

---------------------------------------------
    Misc. Notes:
    9 hours of sleep last night.
    Weighed in at 222 today (full 100.00 kilos). This is partially due to the creatine that I'm including with my shakes every day. Waist officially measures 38" today, which estimates me for 20% bf. This is fine. I am eating everything I can. I can tell that the biggest struggle for the deep end of the novice progression will be recovery.

Shit. That was a tough one. I had gone skiing yesterday for 5 hours, and didn't eat enough because I was on hill. I tried cramming as much as I could, but I doubt I got over 3k calories. I've felt pretty irritable all day, and tired throughout the afternoon. While I completed all my reps and weights, I'm considering redoing this workout on Friday.

Squat: 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x3, 315x1, 340x5x3 (PR). 7 mins rest between sets.
    Tough, but they went up. I definitely GM-ed a few reps, so I'll consider repeating this weight on Friday.

Bench: 95x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 207.5 x5x3 (ties PR). ~7 mins between sets.
    Tough. I think I'm going to repeat this weight on Friday.

Cleans: 135x3, 155x3, 175x3x5. ~4 mins between sets. These were not great, but they got the job done.

Misc. Notes:
    Weighed in at 218 today.

Default Wed, Feb 25

Well, this was an epic fail. I went home and went to bed early, so this is yesterday's post.

Squat: 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x1, 340x3.
    Today is my light day, but I thought I'd work up to one triple at Monday's weight. This felt pretty good, but heavy.

Press: 95x5, 105x5, 115x5, 140x5x3. ~5 mins between sets.
    This felt good.

Deadlift: 135x5, 225x5, 315x5, 380x3 +1. ~3 mins between warmup sets.
    I used no belt for the warmups. Wow, after the way 365 came up last week I expected this to be fine. I really struggled with the deads today. I wonder if I fucked myself with my squats... I will repeat 380 next week.

"Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill

Squat: 185x5, 225x5, 275x3, 315x1, 345x5x3 (PR). 10 mins rest between sets.
    Tough, but they went up. This actually felt better than Monday, tougher, but better.

Bench: 95x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 207.5 x3x3. ~7 mins between sets.
    I'm considering shifting the pressing movements to a TM progression. I think I can make better progress using that.

Chins: 7-5-5.
    Weighted Situps on the incline bench. 45 lbs, 3 sets of 8.

Misc. Notes:
    8.5 hours of sleep last night.
    Weighed in at 217 today.
    I didn't eat enough today, and had to grab a pop during my workout. This definitely affected the session.
    Skiing is having a profoundly negative impact on my training. I'm trying to think of ways to keep from stagnating, but not being dead to the world all the time. There may be no way around this.

Are you making 2.5 lb jumps on on your pressing movements? IF so, you can still make 5 lb - 2.5 lb jumps per on your bench/press. Something to consider.

Yeah, I'm trying to make 2.5 lbs jumps, but I've been having trouble recently (last month or so). I am still fighting off the tail end of my flu that I had 2 weeks ago (slept 18 hours yesterday). I have a feeling that that is still affecting my recovery.

What I've decided to do is to give myself a reset on the bench press, dropping 10% and moving back up in 5 lb jumps to 205, then I should be able to ramp up in 2.5 lb jumps from there. The extra recovery could help with this situation.

My presses are still progressing fine with 2.5 lb jumps, I think, in part due to the increased frequency that I've been benching.

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for I am the baddest mother fucker in the God damn valley..."

Squat: 135x5, 225x5, 275x3, 315x1, 350x5x3 (PR). 7 mins rest between sets.
    Tough. Each set felt like it was a max effort. GMed a rep or two, but this mostly came up like it should.
    Forgive my quote above, but this made my day. 350 is one of those nice big round numbers that makes each of us so very happy. Also, I was able to do it with one of the guys who lifts heavier than me watching... he was totally stoked for this milestone.

Bench: 95x5, 135x5, 155x5, 195x5x3. ~5 mins between sets.
    This felt really good, very easy. I'm hoping that this ramp up will work, if it doesn't it's intermediate benching for me.

Powercleans: 115x3, 155x3, 180x3x5 (PR). ~3 mins between sets.
    This really came together for me today. I felt like the bar really was flying during the second pull.

Misc. Notes:
    8.5 hours of sleep last night.
    Weighed in at 221 today.
    I slept and ate a ton this weekend, and it really showed today. I felt energized and strong all day long.
    Tweaked my back at some point this weekend (maybe while sleeping, I might have slept on it wrong). This was mildy bothersome, but it didn't hurt during my squats or cleans, and it doesn't seem worse for the work.

My bench stall worries me. I’m eating enough to recover and grow, which is attested to by my gains on the squats. I understand an occasional bad day (last wed. for example), but my bench has hit a wall hard.

I wonder if I’m hosing my gains by having fucked with the program… I had increased my bench frequency (Monday and Friday every week) because it had lagged so badly, and it worked for a while, but I’ve repeatedly stalled out at 207.5 lbs.

I could use this reset as a time to return my presses to the basic progression. Hmm…

starting strength coach development program
    Oh, Yeah! Today, I feel like the man!

Squat: 135x5, 185x5, 225x5, 275x1, 315x3x2.
    Today is my light day for squats. Really not much to say about this except that I felt great, super tight on all sets. I can't believe this was my work set not too long ago. No belt.

Press: 95x5, 105x5, 115x5, 142.5x5x3 (PR). ~5 mins between sets.
    This felt good, really good. I nearly lost my last rep forward on my last set, right as it was getting above my head. I made sure to drive my torso through the gap and it shot up from there.

Deadlift: 135x7, 225x5, 315x1, 385x5 (PR). ~5 mins between warmup sets.
    I used no belt for the warmups. After my epic fail last week, I decided to bump this up just 5 lbs. I really wanted those 35's instead of the small plates. This came up great. It looks like 10 lbs per week is about what I can handle right now, but that still will give me 405 in 2 weeks.

Misc. Notes:
    Weighed in at 221 today.
    Tweaked back is gone. I felt powerful all day long. I'm really focusing on making sure I get 1.25+ grams of protein per lb bw.

I really think the biggest difference for my success has been sleep. Seriously. Since I've committed to sleeping at least 8 hours per night, and sleeping more than that whenever I can, my lifts have felt so much better. My wife also says I'm less of an asshole, but that's to be debated.
    Last edited by Sgsolberg; 03-03-2010 at 09:27 PM. Reason: correcting weight used

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123