starting strength gym
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Homer's Quest for Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Friday 2/25/10

Squat - 285 - 3x5
    Bench - 205 - 3x5 (but had help from a spotter on the last reps so I will try this again next week).
    Chins - 9,5,4

Squat - 295 1x3
    Chins- 9,5,4

Squats - I got greedy with another 10lb jump! Wed, will be 290. Also, my arms hurt like hell today, my form probably got screwed up at some point. So I skipped the press.

3/3/2010 Wed.

Squat - 290 3x5
    Press - 125 3x5
    Deadlift - 355 5x1

Squats - I felt I was a bit high on the first and last reps of each set. I don't know why that is. Also, while I kept things tight on my descent, I kind of "lost" the bounce (which could contribute to why I felt I was so high on the reps). Other than that, I felt pretty good.

Press - this was a reset, I hope to break the 140 plateu soon. I plan on microloading as I get to 135.

Deadlift - This was tough! As always I take too much time resetting my positioning due to the hexidecimal plates so I do a 5x1 instead of a 1x5. So far so good.

"Deadlift - This was tough! As always I take too much time resetting my positioning due to the hexidecimal plates so I do a 5x1 instead of a 1x5. So far so good."

I've been doing the same. I let the bar down, and do a conscious reset of form and tightness. I'm not trying to do any foolishness like deadlifts for time, so I don't think my 10 secs of "rest" between reps will kill me. I'd rather have good form on each of my five reps.

I also have the non-round non-bumper rubber coated plates, so I also end up repositioning the bar each time. My gym membership is about $15 a month, so I can deal with a few of those issues.

I took like a 20-30 second breather before the 5th deadlift. lol

3/5/2010 Fri

Squats - 295 1x5, 1x2
    Bench - 205 3x5 (PR)

Today was such a bullshit day. I was happy to hit the 205 mark on the bench, but the squats are really pissing me off. My IT bands are wound up so tight, it's hard to reach depth and when I do, I have ZERO bounce. I'm not sure where to go from here.

I"m going to try and get a vicious massage on the IT bands tomorrow, and maybe take it easy on the squats for a week.

I bombed out on my squats today, too. This is getting weird.

Mon 3/8/2010

Squats - Warm up Sets
    Press - 130 3x5
    Chins - 10, 5, 4

My IT Band was very tight, so I wasn't expecting worksets. I used the warm ups to gauge how I felt. I bougth a PVC pipe and a lacross ball. I"m going to give my legs a vicious massage for the next 4 days, and hopefully by friday I'll be able to squat properly again.

Presses - felt good! After 135, I'm going to microload and hopefully be able to nail 140.

Chins felt great too.

Quote Originally Posted by homerj742 View Post
    ...Presses - felt good! After 135, I'm going to microload and hopefully be able to nail 140.

Chins felt great too.
    If 135 felt good, then you should do fine going to 137.5 next session, and hitting 140, all other things being good/normal, shouldn't be a problem. Nice work!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Lofton View Post
    If 135 felt good, then you should do fine going to 137.5 next session, and hitting 140, all other things being good/normal, shouldn't be a problem. Nice work!
    Thanks Tim, I appreciate the encouragement!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast