starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Training Log

Default Workout 13

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Body Weight: 206

Squats: 250 lower back is still tiring out, but sharpening up the rebound helped out a lot.

Bench: 185 felt MUCH better than last time at 180.

Deadlift: 295 still going up strong.

Default Workout 14

Body Weight: 208

Squat: 255 - FAILED hard. Lower back was tired as shit today. It was burning quite a bit just during the warmup sets. I was only able to barely get the first set. Tried foam rolling my back out, but that didn't help. I unracked the bar for the second work set and immediately felt it tighten up a ton and just had to put the bar back on the rack.

I had this same issue at about 245 last time through. Monday's workout will be a recovery day for squats. Hopefully I can get past this sticking point without doing a reset.

Press: 110. The press actually felt really good. This is coming along nicely. 110 isn't "light", but I've got some more 5 pound jumps in me. 115 will certainly go next Wednesday.

Pullups: BW x6 x4 x3. These felt pretty good too.

Default Workout 15

BW: 206

Squats: Worked up to 225 for 2 sets x5, x4. Today was a recovery day for my lower back. Didn't feel very good. Quads are hurting a good bit.

Bench - 190. went fine.

Chins - x7 x4 x3

No cleans today to let the back heal.

Default Workout 16

No Squats on Friday. Let back rest over weekend. Body Weight: 208

Press: 115
    Pullups: x8, x5, x2
    Curls: 3x10

Default Workout 17

Bodyweight: 208

Squats: 225. Got 3 sets in. My lower back still feels tired/tight. Need to do more stretching and foam rolling. Hopefully this weekend I can go get a deep tissue massage to try and loosen it up. I've got to get through this damn sticking point so that I can get back to cleans and deadlifts.

Bench: 200. Easy

Chins: BW x7 x4 x3

I just randomly decided to check your log. One thing you might want to try is getting a lax ball and using it to massage your glutes. If they are tight it could be causing mobility problems that lead to a sore back.

hey good point. I am gonna give that a try. also getting an intense deep tissue massage this weekend, so that should help. After my back heals up I should be fine. 255 wasn't heavy at all, other than the lower back thing.

Default Workout 18

starting strength coach development program
    BW: 209

I went to Tulsa to visit family last weekend. It turns out that Shane Hamman is a personal trainer there. I tracked him down and got in a session with him, working on my cleans. He's a really great guy and an excellent trainer. He really helped my form a LOT.

Prior to meeting him, the most I've ever done on the power clean was 155. My session went as follows...

Warmup:
    Squats x45, x135, x155, x185

Cleans: 40kgx3x1, x60kgx3x2, 70kgx3x2, 80kgx2x2, 90kgx1x2 !! huge prs. felt great. Afterwards he gave me a brief primer on the snatch (just with an empty bar) for kicks.

Finished the workout with presses (work sets: 120 x5, x5, x4). I'm satisfied with the work set considering how tired my shoulders were from all the cleans.

Anyway, strange observation... my lower back didn't bother me really at all. I am finding that the stress on my lower back seems to be less from pulling from the floor too much, and more from having a load on my back during the squat.

I'm not sure what the deal is here. My form is fine. I got a deep tissue massage after the workout, which seemed to help also. I am goign to get another massage at some point this week hopefully and start stretching out my hips more, as posted above.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345