starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Man to Milkbeast - dsp's ss log

Default Man to Milkbeast - dsp's ss log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Edit: I did some silly bullshit (cutting) when I first started this thread. Since I can't delete posts, I left them blank below. Scroll down a few posts to see my log, which actually consists of linear progression and eating to fuel that progression!

18yo, 5'10, starting weight 170, weight after silly bullshit: 193 (weight before 210)

A little while ago I stumbled upon Starting Strength from (surprisingly) word of mouth. I did a google search, and from that day on, my life changed. I bought the book, read the book, and picked up PPST right away. I started training as soon as I finished reading SS. Since then, I've went from being an inactive skinnyfat slob to an extremely dedicated novice weight-lifter looking for endless strength. Plus, I needed a reason to have my own milk jug.

So, basically I've never played a sport competetively and I have ZERO background in physical activity. I was a really inactive kid who preferred to kick ass in smash bros than go out. That's changed now, and while I got into weight-lifting as a way to appear more attractive, now my focus has shifted to become a strong phuker. Besides, at this level they go hand in hand, so why not train for everything at the same time, in the most efficient way possible?

The only worry I have is finding jeans that aren't transformed into "skinny jeans" as soon as I don them. Goddamn squats.

3X5 PRS AS OF THREAD (1x5 for DL)

Squat: 260
    Bench: 170
    Press: 115
    Deads: 270

short term goals: Squat 3 wheels, Bench 2, Press 1, and DL 3+

Let's set some PRs. Oh, and I stopped cleaning because I felt like it. Eat me.
    Last edited by dsp; 04-27-2011 at 01:48 PM.

-SB-
    Last edited by dsp; 04-18-2011 at 04:13 PM.

-SB-

-SB-

-silly bullshit-
    Last edited by dsp; 04-18-2011 at 04:14 PM.

Ok well, long story short I trained again on Wednesday and had another awful workout. I've decided that because of my attempt at cutting has plateaued my strength training, I'm gonna reset on everything. Each movement was harder than balls, and I failed a few. So, I've reset my weights a bit so that I'll hit most of my PRs in two weeks, and then hopefully blow past them. Also, for variety I'll be doing the "lame" version of SS, with Rows on B days, and adding in alternating chins/dips for 3 sets after the main lifts. Gonna actually focus on progression in the weighted situps this time.

Training session, Sunday (1/3 this week)

Squat - 230 : Was easy, focused on form. I worked in with a weight lifting chick and was only doing 40 more pounds than her. I feel a little pussyish. and yes, she was do-able. +5

Bench - 160 : Was decent, gonna re-read the SS chapter. Focused on no elbow flair and where the bar comes down. +5

Deadlift - 260 : Was really easy, but I'm never doing these without chalk again. Paper towel for grip, yay! +10

chins - 5, 4, 4 : First set was real close to the floor, etc excuses.

Good workout. It's nice to actually get all my sets and reps. Found out my bar weighs 50 lbs instead of 45, so pretty sweet that I'm doing an extra 5 pounds than I thought I was. The reset actually let me drop my weights so that I left my deadlift higher in comparison to my squat (legs are already massive and could use extra rest anyways), so at least feel more normal. It feels really nice to be all milked up again. Stuff really is steroids.
    Last edited by dsp; 04-18-2011 at 04:20 PM.

Today's Wednesday and I'll just recap yesterdays workout and state what im doing tomorrow.

Training Session Tuesday (2/3)

Squat - 235 really easy. Really really damn easy. +5

Press - 110 wow. I've been re-reading SS and came across how to place the bar in your palm, and the change in form made this stupid easy! +5

Rows - 120
    I need to research proper form, but these seem pretty damn good and give me the "deadlift" effect of having chest out all day. +10

Dips - 8/9, 7 Forgot to count the first set lol, too lazy to do a third. Skipped abs.

Best workout I've had in a while. Press in particular, an exercise I hate doing, went extremely smoothly with the new hand position. Rows are also a welcome addition, but I need to read up on proper form. Dips are the best for making your arms feel like fat sausages. This is the 2nd workout of the week, tomorrow I plan to Squat 240, bench 165, and DL 270. Should go great.
    Last edited by dsp; 04-07-2011 at 06:13 PM.

Thursdays Workout (3/3 this week)

Squat - 240 easy. Hate doing em, love being finished with em. +5

Bench - 165 medium. Seemed to be sightly easier than last workout, probably due to the change in palm position. +5

Deads - 270 piee. Wow, these were ridiculously easy, form didn't come close to crumpling. Told everyone brb gonna do rails when they looked at the ziplock bag full of white powder in it. Goddamn commercial gyms. +10

Chins - 6, 4, 2 I really rushed these, except the first set. I use the smith machine for these because it's the only thing with a straight bar for chin ups, everything else has your hands at an angle. So yeah, I've actually found use for the machine.. putting the bar at the highest position and chinning off it.

Weighted sit ups (45lbs) x ~8, one set. A plate is just too awkward to sit up with, next time I'll hold two 25's, and do more than one set.

Killed it today. Squat seems good to go for a while, Bench I predict stalling out around 180/185 (hopefully not though), and Deadlifts I'm hoping to hit 3 plates within the next 3 weeks. Stay tuned!

Ps. Is it normal to not feel sore after PWO nutrition? (I down about 3/4 a bag of milk that includes a mass gainer shake which is just alot of sugar and protein, plus a banana and PB for taste, and then half an hour later I eat dead animals and veggies or potatoes) - It seems that as soon as I finish my meal, I feel energized and not sore, although I can "feel" my muscles more. Ah well.. I'm not complaining!
    Last edited by dsp; 04-18-2011 at 04:23 PM.

Sundays Workout (1/3)

Squats - 245 easy. gotta check out elbow position during sets, right elbow hurts a bit after sets, but its nothing unbearable. +5

Press - 115 last rep was pretty hard. I need to acquire 1.5 lb weights real soon, but the palm position prevailed again. +5

Rows - 130 these are still not challenging at all. I think my forms alright, gonna check though. hopefully helps my rear delts show up. +10

Dips - 10, 8, 8 dayumm, I destroyed on these today. Gonna start looking into a dip belt for the near future.

-no additional ab work (gym kicked me out at closing time)-

I'm seriously impressed with this workout. Last night I got pretty messed up and did alot of naughty things. Still, I managed to get a hamburger in me while I was out and when I got home was able to microwave some leftover chicken breast. I think the 12 hour sleep helped balance out all the booze (and other stuff) that went on last night, because when I woke up I felt fresh and capable, I even felt stretched and my back didnt need any sort of warm up (except warm up sets of course). I was the only one in the gym and the guys kicked me out right as I finished my last set of dips, so I was stoked. On another note, none of my friends believe I weigh over 200 lbs.. feels good brah.

Tuesday I'm probably gonna catch a movie, but the gym closes late on weekdays so I should still be good to go. Screw homework, acquire strength!

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesdays Workout (2/3)

Squat - 250 easy. These are going up with no problem in the foreseeable future.

Bench - 170 hard. Real damn hard. I hope my strength goes up in proportion to how much I bust my balls on this, or problems will be had. +5

Deadlift - 280 managable. I can see 5 lb jumps coming very soon, but I'll attribute difficulty to rest/nutrition. I kind of lifted a bit with my arms at the top of the reps and it gave me some nasty elbow pain.. needless to say I won't be doing that again. +10 (ps using hook grip double overhand w/ chalk, awesome forearm workout)

Chins - 5, 4, 3 : the elbow pain from being stupid with my deadlift really messed these up. My biceps also seemed pretty damn tired from benching. I'll fare better next time.

Decent workout, much later than I normally go to the gym. Rest/nutrition hasnt been the best the past two days, but the next few should be pretty good so hopefully it makes up for it. Looking forward to getting my little weights so I can actually start setting some PRs for the bench and press.. Three crabwalking spacer kids out of five is my rating for today.

Edit; watched suckerpunch and thought it was a pretty sick movie with a video game vibe. A little extreme at times especially in imax but was pretty damn cool.
    Last edited by dsp; 04-18-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast