• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I agree with Gwynn, you are tough!

Workout 9

Squat 3x5x80
    Dumbbell Bench Press 3x5x46.5
    Deadlift 5x90

This workout was for Saturday morning, as I feel asleep again with the children Friday evening.

Workouts are starting to feel heavy, so I have to watch my form! As soon as I have time will post a squat check.

Thank you for the encouragement, Gwynn and Tonya!

I wish I would have been smart enough to do SS right after I had my babies. I think it rocks that you are right in the swing of it after a C-section, too. Tennies, is your baby cooperating and letting you sleep/recover?

Quote Originally Posted by applescruffette View Post
    Tennies, is your baby cooperating and letting you sleep/recover?
    Hah! I haven't had more than 3-4 hours of continuous sleep in almost 3 years. Occasionally I get 5 hours of sleep in a row now if I skip chores and go to bed by 8:30 pm with the children.

Typically the toddler is up twice a night, and sometimes more often than that. The baby sleeps well in the early evening, wakes up to nurse once around 12 am to 2 am. But the baby is restless after 4 am until the house wakes up.

Since the new baby, my husband takes care of the toddler at night, but I still wake up when I hear them anyway.

Mornings are the hardest, I am a little stiff, sore and grumpy when I roll out of bed, usually by 6 - 7 am when the toddler starts running about.

Hah! I haven't had more than 3-4 hours of continuous sleep in almost 3 years. Occasionally I get 5 hours of sleep in a row now if I skip chores and go to bed by 8:30 pm with the children.
    Same here. At 3 years old, the boy still wakes me up at least once, if not more, during the night, which results in frequent insomnia. I just read a blog about being active while pregnant and some of the benefits. One was you would have a better sleeping baby. I had to laugh at that one. The boy has never been a good sleeper, despite my being very active during pregnancy. I was lifting up till a few weeks before he was born and still walking long distances up till two days before. The only reason I didn't go for a long walk the day before they induced me was because it was a holiday and we were busy with family things.

Tonya

You two are both so amazing! When my babies were little I never had the energy to do much of anything for myself, and here you are going to the gym on a regular basis and lifting heavy!

Hi Isis,

I have a power cage in a spare room, I work out from home. If I had to get in a car to drive to a gym I would never make it there.

I find that when I have little energy and am depressed, exercise is the only thing that helps. If I can form the habit of working out, my daily life is easier for it.

workout 10

Changing format to pounds x reps x sets, seems easier to read

Squat 85x5x3
    Press 40x5x3
    Power Clean 40x3x5

Sore throat coming on, I am hoping against a full blown cold. I was glad I could workout tonight, I almost fell asleep again with the children.

Default Equipment recommendations for a woman?

Workout 11

Squat 90x5x3
    Dumbbell Bench Press 52x5x3 (26 lbs/dumbbell)
    Deadlift 100x5

I am now sick with a cold, oh well.

Each time I lift I have a twinge of doubt that I can do all the reps. So far I have made it, but boy these lifts are starting to feel heavy.

I am looking to upgrade to an Olympic bar and plates. Does anyone have any bar recommendations for a woman, or should I look for a bar with 28.5 mm diameter? Need I be picky about the diameter, or will a 30 mm bar do as well? What is a good price for a beginner's bar? I don't think myself or my husband will be lifting beyond 300 lbs, if that, at the moment!

I am also wondering about shoes, I have been lifting barefoot so far. Will Chuck Taylors be worth the money, or should I spring for good shoes? I have flat feet.

It is time to get serious about this lifting thing I have going on.

Thank you all!
    Last edited by tennies; 04-08-2010 at 06:48 AM. Reason: edited the squat weight, was a typo, forgot the 15 lbs for the bar! Thank you, Isis!

starting strength coach development program
    I never posted my height, I am 5'1" and a bit chubby at 148! Love that post-baby baggage. I can't restrict calories by much, as I am breast feeding.

Does any mom here have experience breast feeding and losing weight postpartum? I always loose the bulk of it by two weeks postpartum, but 10 lbs always seem to hang on. Add 10 lbs from the previous pregnancy that never left, and 10 lbs from before that and I am roughly 30 lbs overweight. Blech.

I want to start monitoring my body weight and composition. Can anybody tell me if calipers are useful and accurate, and how to use calipers, or recommend a reference site?

I am hoping that the muscle I gain will eat up some of this fat.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast