starting strength gym
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Recovering from 6 years behind a desk...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    4/13/10
    bw - 239.0lb
    squat - 275 x 2,3,4
    press - 145 x 5,4,4
    deadlift - 325 x 5

Looks like it's time to reset the squat and start 5lb jumps.

4/15/10
    bw - 237.4lb
    squat - 245 x 5,5,5
    press - 145 x 4,4,4
    powerclean - 145 x 3,3,3,3,3

Squats feel off somehow. Really sore in the thighs and I can't seem to get a decent rebound out of the bottom; still working on it.

4/18/10
    squat - 250x5,5,5
    press - 145x5,5,5
    deadlift - 335x5 (switched to alternate grip for the last rep)

I finally feel like I'm starting to get the squats right. A wider foot placement helped keep the knees from sliding foreword at the bottom. Also trying to fine-tune the downward movement to produce a "bounce" in the right direction to help the ascent. Trying to work through some horrible IT band tightness and pain right now. I never thought learning to squat would be so complex.

I came across something interesting in the press today. During the warmup sets, I tried doing a series of small bounces throughout the range of motion and made minor adjustments until there was no "wobble" at each position, just a bounce. Kind of like faking a stretch reflex at many points through the range of motion. After bouncing through the range of motion a couple of times I followed up with a couple of full range presses. During the work sets, the movement felt much more powerful than in previous workouts.

Great numbers! Keep up the great work.

Are you foam rolling those IT bands? This should really help you.

Thanks!

I don't have foam rollers yet. I've heard mention of using PVC pipe (3" or so), would that be suitable?

I've been doing some really aggressive stretching and digging under the full length of the IT band with my fingers. Not too pleasant but it seems to feel better after. At least it's a relief to know what the problem is. For a while it was just an ambiguous deep soreness in the thighs that was increasing with each workout, and I was wondering how the hell I could be overtrained so soon.

4/20/10
    squat - 255x5,5,5
    press - 150x3,3,3
    powerclean - 155x3,3,3,3,3

I did a couple of single presses at 155lb at the end of the powerclean sets. That's about a 1RM right now.

Used a heavy 3" cardboard tube to roll my IT bands leaning against a wall between squat sets today. I see now why foam rollers are so popular; legs felt better immediately. I ordered a roller this evening.

I'm waiting for my foam roller to arrive in the mail. The success with briefly rolling my IT bands with a cardboard tube leaning against a wall yesterday inspired me to improvise. I went to work on all areas of my upper legs and glutes with a wood rolling pin this evening. It's amazing how much of a difference it makes. I can move without pain right now and I'm very very happy. Almost giddy. Giggling like a schoolgirl, and my dogs are looking at me like I'm crazy.

4/22/10
    squat - 260x5,5,5
    press - 150x3,3,3,3,3, 135x8
    deadlift - 345x5

6'5" tall...keep training and you will be a beast...how much weight are you willing to gain?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by zepled37 View Post
    6'5" tall...keep training and you will be a beast...how much weight are you willing to gain?
    Plenty.

I started at 212lb on 3/7/10 and weighed 239 on 4/13/10... 27lb in 5 weeks without too much fat gain.

I cut the calories a bit recently and have been holding steady around 238lb. Kind of taking a break from big eating to let my strength catch up to my bodyweight and reset the growth-stimulating effects of caloric surplus. I plan on going through at least two more surges of weight gain at 20-30lb each this year.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast