starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LiftingLiz's SS Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ah, party weekends. Those were the days.

As for the cardio, I'm far from an expert at this type of program, but I ditched regular cardio. I usually get in a few 30-60 minute walks a couple of times a week if the weather is nice. These walks probably put me at around 50% HRM, so not difficult. If I'm not having trouble sleeping (like this week) I do some sort of conditioning interval work after my lifts for 4-12 minutes. The sleeping thing for me is directly related to stress. I wake up in the middle of the night and can't get back to sleep. So I figure I don't need the added stress of the intervals.

But like I said, I'm no expert and I'd be interested in what other people have to say.

Tonya

I'm no expert either at adding conditioning to the mix, but I also like intervals better than regular cardio. Intervals suit my attention span better, plus they worked really well for me once. In the first three months after I learned the word "Tabata" I lost 12 pounds without changing my diet. But that was years ago now and I was really out of shape when I started.

Today felt pretty sucky. Squats went excellently, but I failed both my other lifts. I think I need to take a good look at my recovery, especially sleep and diet. Could I still be performing badly due to eating practically no protein and shit in general over the weekend? I don't really think so, but there are no other glaring deficiencies I can see.

Today's Lifts:

Squat
    2x5x45 lb
    1x5x60 lb
    1x3x95 lb
    1x2x125 lb
    3x5x60 lb
    Thinking about chest up, elbows back, and extended lower back really helped. These squats felt way lighter.

Bench Press
    2x5x45 lb
    1x3x70 lb
    4/3/4 x 80 lb
    Will try this weight again. I felt like I could almost do a fifth rep on sets 1 and 3.

Deadlift
    1x5x135 lb
    1x5x155 lb
    1x185 lb
    I went to get the second rep, and I almost immediately dropped the weight again. Felt like I was going to throw up and pass out for a second, but instead I hobbled off to sit down.

Quote Originally Posted by LiftingLiz View Post
    Today felt pretty sucky. Squats went excellently, but I failed both my other lifts. I think I need to take a good look at my recovery, especially sleep and diet. Could I still be performing badly due to eating practically no protein and shit in general over the weekend?
    Absolutely, your performance is probably directly related to no protein over the weekend, especially if you are restricting calories in general. How many calories are you taking in daily?

I actually count carbs instead of calories, but I typically eat around 2000 calories per day. Admittedly, I haven't eaten much today, so that was probably a factor, too.

I actually count carbs instead of calories, but I typically eat around 2000 calories per day. Admittedly, I haven't eaten much today, so that was probably a factor, too.
    To me that doesn't sound like it's enough to support the weights you're at, at least for lifting days.

Admittedly, I haven't eaten much today
    For me this is a sure-fire recipe for a sucky workout.

Yeah, I was just having a weird day Friday, and I think I'll chalk it up to bad recovery. It has inspired me to really up my protein, though. Instead of going for 1g per pound of lean mass, I'll go for 1g per pound of total body weight. Still restricting carbs to under 50g most days.

Today's Lifts:

Squat
    2x5x45 lb
    1x5x65 lb
    1x3x95 lb
    1x2x135 lb
    3x5x165 lb
    I felt totally beastly. I really have to focus on trying to hyper-extend my back, or else it ends up rounded. Also, I think heavy squats give me headaches. Nothing too bad, but it's definitely noticeable.

Overhead Press
    2x5x45 lb
    3x5x62.5 lb
    This is my current PR. Today felt way lighter than last week. I plan to add 1.25 lbs from now on.

Hang Cleans
    2x5x45 lb
    Power Cleans
    1x5x60 lb
    5x3x70 lb
    Cleans are fun again! I still need to focus on really getting my elbows up. I may be lacking some flexibility there. I'll really try for a high rack next time, and if I'm still not getting it, I'll start doing shoulder dislocations. Explosiveness has much improved -- stomping really, really helps.

Man, power cleans make me wish I could clean and jerk. I'll have to save that stuff for after I leave the starting strength program, though.

Fantastic progress so far. You're squats are rocketing up.

starting strength coach development program
    Cleans are fun again! I still need to focus on really getting my elbows up. I may be lacking some flexibility there. I'll really try for a high rack next time, and if I'm still not getting it, I'll start doing shoulder dislocations. Explosiveness has much improved -- stomping really, really helps.
    They are fun. Makes me feel all athletic and stuff.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast