starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LiftingLiz's SS Log

Default LiftingLiz's SS Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I have been off and on with strength training since January. I started with StrongLifts 5x5, then got pointed toward SS and decided to do that. I'm still trying to get my ass in gear for three workouts a week. Lately, I've been alternating two and three a week. Work has weird schedules that differ every week, and I'm on my feet the whole time I'm there, so it's been "interesting".

Current Stats:

Sex: Female
    Height: 5'4"
    Weight: 241 lbs
    Body Fat: 54%
    Squat: 125 lbs = 0.52 x BW
    Bench Press: 65 lbs = 0.27 x BW
    Power Clean: 65 lbs = 0.27 x BW
    Press: 60 lbs = 0.25 x BW
    Deadlift: 155 lbs = 0.64 x BW

Goals:

30% body fat
    2 x BW deadlift
    1.5 x BW squat
    0.75 x BW bench press

Currently I add 5 lbs to the squat, bench press, and power clean, 10 lbs to the deadlift, and 2.5 lbs to the press. My workouts are supposed to be Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. My diet is "primal", meaning I eat mostly meat and vegetables with some dairy and fruit. I aim for about 100g of protein a day, and typically less than 50g of carbohydrates. I will go over on the carbs about once a week, for the sake of my own sanity and enjoyment.

Today's Lifts:

Squat:
    2x5x45lb
    1x3x75lb
    1x2x100lb
    3x5x130lb (work set)

Bench Press:
    3x5x70lb
    The bar wavered around a lot during the second set (bad form) so I think I'll repeat this weight.

Deadlift:
    4x165lb
    Was supposed to be 5 reps, last one I couldn't straighten up. Will repeat this weight next time.

Welcome! Looks like you're off to a good start. I like your list of goals, how specific they are, challenging yet achievable with a lot of hard work.

One question: why do you list warmups for the squat but not the bench press or deadlift?

Right now, I don't warm up for either of those. Bench press I should probably add in some reps with the bar now that I'm working with 25 lbs on it. With the deadlift, though, I still feel like I'm "close" to 135, which gives me the proper height. I want to make sure my warmups don't make me too fatigued for my work sets. Of course, I'm a total newb at this, so let me know if there's something better I could do!

A set or two of warmups with the empty bar would probably help you fix your bench press bar path problem. Warmups can make you tired for the work sets if you overdo them but they can also make you feel stronger for the work sets because they get your nervous system ready for the lift.

Missed Monday's workout. For now, as long as I can get another on Friday, I'm happy. 3 times a week is brutal, but 2 is doable.

Today's Lifts:

Squat: 2x5x45 lb
    1x3x80 lb
    1x2x105 lb
    3x5x135 lb (work set)

Press: 3x5x62.5 lb (work set)

Power Clean: 2x5x45 lb hang cleans
    5x3x75 lb (work set, was supposed to be 70 lb... oops)

Squats were great. I widened my stance a few inches, narrowed my grip by a few inches, and they felt really light today, even with the 45's on for the first time!

The press was brutal. I almost missed my very last rep. The bar was really wobbly and shaky, but it made it up to the top. For now, I'll keep adding weight.

Cleans need a LOT more work. I'm not squatting down to catch the bar, and they overall lack explosiveness. I need to re-read that portion of the book (and probably watch some more youtube videos). Of course, it didn't help that I accidentally put on 5 lbs too many. I think I'll repeat 75 until I get form down. It doesn't feel hard on my muscles, I'm just not doing them right, so I won't deload.
    Last edited by LiftingLiz; 04-14-2010 at 04:39 PM.

Glad to see another female lifter on these boards.

Welcome, Liz!

I agree with Isis; warmup sets are definitely necessary. Even when my work sets aren't that far away from my warmup sets, I find that doing them helps my work sets. For example, my press is around 75lbs, but I still warm up with 45x5x2, 50x5, 55x3, 60x2 etc. The warm up sets are where I practice the explosiveness I need for higher weights, plus the breathing pattern.

You already have the right idea by lowering your reps as you approach your working weight; adding in some extra warm up sets will give you a chance to really nail your form so when you reach working weights you don't have to think about it as much.

Quote Originally Posted by LiftingLiz View Post

Squats were great. ...even with the 45's on for the first time!
    Hi Liz!

I dread squats the most, but I always feel great after doing them. I aspire to using 45's, I am not even close to squatting that much yet.

Hello to everyone that dropped by! I'll probably check out your logs this weekend, so be on the lookout.

Today's Lifts:

Squat
    2x5x45 lb
    1x5x50 lb
    1x3x80 lb
    1x2x110 lb
    3x5x140 lb

Bench Press
    2x5x45 lb
    3x5x70 lb

Deadlift
    1x5x135 lb
    1x5x165 lb

As you can see, I did more warmups. I think it worked! (duh) The path of the bar was much better on the bench, and I feel confident in moving up in weight on it now. The deadlift got out of its stall, though it was a little troublesome. I kept losing my right thumb. It would pop out from under the bar and lay on top instead of curling around. I was able to maintain grip with my other four fingers, however. Could this be a sign to use the alternate grip? Or perhaps I just need to do some grip work? Or maybe I just need to focus on squeezing on the bar so that my thumb remains in place? Tips are welcome.

starting strength coach development program
    If you are having problems with keeping your thumb around the bar I would first switch to a hook grip. There's a really good picture and explanation in Starting Strength (page 180).

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast