starting strength gym
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Dastardly Advanced Novice Log.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Indeed, I am very used to training myself. I dont feel group pressure/coaching really aids that much in terms of 5 rep type training where you or I are trying to move bigger weights than last time.

For all these guys that train with no goal or structure, training a lift in a group does help accumulate much more volume than would probably be possible on ones own. People not letting you rest because its "your turn" and not letting you remove any weight from the bar I guess really helps if volume/conditioning/hypertrophy/endurance is your thing. You do end up lifting much more than you would be willing to by yourself & with much less rest too.

But yeah, Im going to try my best to avoid it. Its fucking with things too much.

On a positive note, I think its helped me to learn how to control deadlifts with a roundback much better and also helped me get used to relying on Valsava less. And not nearly pass out on heavy pulls which has been an issue for me!

Are you still pressing without a belt?

Do you think your health problems are preventing you from a proper valsalva?

The press won't go up unless you can learn to use the valsalva.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    Are you still pressing without a belt?

Do you think your health problems are preventing you from a proper valsalva?

The press won't go up unless you can learn to use the valsalva.
    I can do the valsava very well, a little too well. I adopted it fully when starting SS (jan2010) but I could hold it so strongly that it made me dizzy & my eyes black out.

This was mainly a problem on deadlifts & cleans. It has taken me many months to get used to it. The "forced" high volume deadlift sessions I feel helped in this regard. To cope with strong valsava over many heavy reps/sets.

I used a belt during my last pressing session which did help when I put it on very tightly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    On a positive note, I think its helped me to learn how to control deadlifts with a roundback much better
    Why are you deadlifting with a round back?

...and also helped me get used to relying on Valsava less.
    When is it ever the case that you would deadlift without relying on the valsalva maneuver?

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Why are you deadlifting with a round back?

When is it ever the case that you would deadlift without relying on the valsalva maneuver?

I can only deadlift with a roundback while using the conventional stance. In SS there is a picture of a lifter with long legs/short torso ratio with kyphosis. The caption describes that the lifter is in their correct pulling position.

I am similar to that person. My back does not round greatly (probably less than confuzzld who regularly posts vids of his round back deadlifts), my problem is that it is just impossible to get my back extended at the bottom.

Working more sets, and doing slightly round backed good mornings has helped me to learn how to keep back tight even if it is rounded, it has developed a better level of muscle control.

I still plan to pull sumo if I manage to do my deadlifts when the group is not there, I do wish to do my pulls with a flat back if I can.

Sup Dastardly, I randomly stumbled across your log. I wish you all the best.

But, I hope you don't take this the wrong way: I gotta agree with LondonTiger on this one:

Quote Originally Posted by LondonTiger View Post
    This group "deadlift" day is pretty ghey.

If a hardcore deadlift session isn't part of your programming, and messes it up, you should just tell them you ain't taking part...
    Fraternizing with the others and having a good time is chill, but being sucked into 'group deadlift' seems a bit counterproductive and silly... I'm not sure what your reason is for taking part. Perhaps you felt like you needed the volume? Or perhaps it was a matter of demonstrating that you could to others? Whatever the case, if you can drive your deads up with a single heavy set once every week, that is good progress (and perhaps better progress than many of the other 'serious' guys). If it's disrupting your training as you seem to indicate, then it needs to feel the cold steel of Iron Man's foot kicking it in its arse on its way out the door. But if it's working out for you, then that's cool too.

Anywho, maybe I'll drop by again sometime. Good luck with everything!
    Last edited by imnotbncre8ive; 05-31-2010 at 02:55 PM.

Working more sets, and doing slightly round backed good mornings has helped me to learn how to keep back tight even if it is rounded, it has developed a better level of muscle control.
    Ah, okay I see what you meant, but you still use the valsalva even with a round back.

Quote Originally Posted by imnotbncre8ive View Post
    Sup Dastardly, I randomly stumbled across your log. I wish you all the best.

But, I hope you don't take this the wrong way: I gotta agree with LondonTiger on this one:

Fraternizing with the others and having a good time is chill, but being sucked into 'group deadlift' seems a bit counterproductive and silly... I'm not sure what your reason is for taking part. Perhaps you felt like you needed the volume? Or perhaps it was a matter of demonstrating that you could to others? Whatever the case, if you can drive your deads up with a single heavy set once every week, that is good progress (and perhaps better progress than many of the other 'serious' guys). If it's disrupting your training as you seem to indicate, then it needs to feel the cold steel of Iron Man's foot kicking it in its arse on its way out the door. But if it's working out for you, then that's cool too.

Anywho, maybe I'll drop by again sometime. Good luck with everything!

Thanks, do you have a log yourself?

Thanks, do you have a log yourself?
    I don't.. but perhaps I should?

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday 1st June

It was a bank holiday on Monday so it disripted my mon-wed-fri scheduling. But on the Bright side this means I wont be there on wednesday when group deadlift happens. I bumped into some of the guys, the first think they each asked was if I would be coming tomorrow. Everyone was kinda dissapointed that I wasnt for some reason, one guy even pleaded with me!

I also forgot my belt today, which really pissed me off as I was desperate to PR in my squat. I was also drenched in water from heavy rain. I decided to do high bar, I was too conservative with the weight so I did 5x5.

High Bar Back Squat
    20kg 5
    40kg 5
    60kg 3
    70kg 5x5

My form felt better/tighter with high bar that with low bar, I could also get a lot of "bounce" unlike low bar where I get none.

Press
    20kg 5
    25kg 3
    35kg 3, 4, 4 - Used layback & olympic press style bowing to get it up.

Hang Power Snatch

I decided to do snatches intead of cleans as my knees/arms are always too wide for me to rack a clean anyway.

20kg 5
    25kg 5x5 - tiny weights still tough on my shoulders.

Had plenty of energy left as I did not do heavy low bar squats today. So decided to do some assistance stuff.

Seated DB press

12kg 12, 8, 12

Shoulder impinged heavily and I had severe pain (suprised me a lot). Did sleeper stretch then went for 3rd set.

Plate Halos:

10kg 10 (rotations each direction)
    15kg 3x12 (rotations each direction)

Hanging Knee Raises

5x12 (knees tucked into chest)

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast