Default 5/21 Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    BW = 172.0 lbs pre-shit

Today's work sets

Squat: 240 x 5,4,5
    Bench Press: 165 x 5,3,3
    Deadlift: 310x1x5

Squat 240 happened, yay! It was hard as hell, but at least I got through it. I think I'll do a 2.5 lb jump for Sunday.

Bench was alright, but I showed my friend power cleans right before (cold) and strained a muscle in my arm - it felt like the reason I failed the last two sets.

Deadlift went well, although I don't think I locked out the last rep completely. I'll still count it and bump up 5 lbs for next Wednesday.

Default 5/23 Log

BW = 172.2 lbs pre-shit

Today's Work Sets:

Squat: 245x2x5, 245x1x4
    Press: 120x3x5
    Power Clean: 160x5x3

Today went very well. Got em all done except last rep of last set of squats due to fatigue. Will progress anyway (2.5 lbs?)

Attached are some form checks... I'll be posting these in the Technique thread as well, but feel free to respond wherever if you'd care to.

Squat: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9L6YP7LKCbU

Press: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S69kYELgfYc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q940tF7wVko something in the mirror distracted me on this one

Power Clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LXsyl_XMho
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrwNsyiY7o8

Thanks all
    Last edited by skills101; 05-23-2010 at 12:20 PM.

Default 5/25 Update

Got my Inzer Forever 10mm Single Prong today.

Tough as a bitch,

we'll see how squats are tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Today went very well. Got em all done except last rep of last set of squats due to fatigue. Will progress anyway (2.5 lbs?)
    No, don't do 2.5 lb increments. When you stall you'll switch to the advanced novice program, which will have you doing lighter sets of squats in your middle-of-the-week workout. But you still have some mileage left for your squats on plain old linear progression...you just need to eat more.

Attached are some form checks... I'll be posting these in the Technique thread as well, but feel free to respond wherever if you'd care to.
    Squats are high.

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Got my Inzer Forever 10mm Single Prong today.

Tough as a bitch,

we'll see how squats are tomorrow!
    Your squats will be great tomorrow, as long as you break in your belt properly beforehand. And I mean REALLY break that thing in...you want it to be as loose as physically possible. I didn't break mine in fully when I first got it, and as a result it took a few workouts to get the full effect of the belt.

Default 5/26 Log

BW = 172.0 lbs. I know, I'm upping the milk damn't!

Today's Work Sets

Squat: 250x5,5,4 Belt
    Bench Press: 165x3x5 Belt
    Deadlift: 315x1x5

Squat was way different today with a belt. Definitely felt weird, but the lifts were pretty solid so it probably worked. I think I could've done the last rep. I just convinced myself I couldn't and pussy bailed at the bottom. Will do 250 next time.

Bench and DL were solid. Will progress 5 each next time.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    No, don't do 2.5 lb increments. When you stall you'll switch to the advanced novice program, which will have you doing lighter sets of squats in your middle-of-the-week workout. But you still have some mileage left for your squats on plain old linear progression...you just need to eat more.

Will do, uppin the milk dosage.

Squats are high.

Really? Someone said that in the Technique thread too, but it looks like my pants crease is dipping very slightly below my knees, which is what it says in SS pg 8. Am I wrong? You guys have better eyes
    Thanks for the advice

Default 5/28 Log

BW = 173.8 lbs pre-shit

Today's Work Sets:

Squat: 255x3x5 Belt
    Press: 125x5,3,4 Last Set Belt
    Power Clean: 165x3,2,2, 162.5x2,2

Squat was solid. Press was tough, but I think I'll progress w/ microplates.

Power Clean was terrible. Still trying to adjust form. Will maintain 165 for next time.

Default 5/30 Log

BW = 174.0 lbs

Today's Work Sets

Squat: 260x5,5,4 Belt
    Bench Press: 170x5,4,4
    Deadlift: 325x5 Belt

Squat was pretty solid, will progress 5 lbs on Wednesday.

Bench was definitely not solid, I'll add 2.5 lbs only next time.

Deadlift was alright, although I don't think the last two reps were fully locked out. I'll add 5 lbs next time. I'm thinking about adding a set or two lower weights AFTER my work set to train my double overhand. I find my power cleans getting tougher to catch in the hang (no bumper plates), and I think this grip training might help. Also, I don't want my double overhand to trail my mixed grip too much...

you really need to eat more man, your workouts will go much smoother and you won't be stalling on lifts as early.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by burnsco View Post
    you really need to eat more man, your workouts will go much smoother and you won't be stalling on lifts as early.
    Hearin ya man.

Just wanted to throw this out there... I'm looking for a new gym in South OC, SoCal area... There's a Crossfit near hear, but does anyone know if they allow gym usage without taking a class? Does anyone know of any good gyms around here?

24 hour fit is getting pretty ridiculous. And my thighs are getting pretty mad at having to catch PC's.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast