starting strength gym
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smoke_Eaters INDTP Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    You're definitely bending your elbows which will only lead to a bicep injury. Also, it looks like you're not following the best bar path on the deadlift. Seems to far away from the body by my reckoning. Good job on the progress though

Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    Hey man,
    FF out of St. Augustine here, IAFF L3865. Good to have you on board.

Your squats looked nice and clean, however you take an awfully long time to start squatting once you've unracked the bar. It's not so much an issue at lighter weights as it is when things get heavy.

I second the comment about bending your elbows during the DL, you will be asking for a bicep tear with the supinated arm once it gets heavy enough. Try to go double overhand until it fails, then switch to mixed grip. What helped me keep my arms straight at first was concentrating on locking out my elbows, once this becomes ingrained it will be second nature and never be a major issue again.

Good luck!

-Hat
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainmatt View Post
    You're definitely bending your elbows which will only lead to a bicep injury. Also, it looks like you're not following the best bar path on the deadlift. Seems to far away from the body by my reckoning. Good job on the progress though

Thanks guys. Cant wait to Deadlift this week and work on the problems. Im a stickler for form so Im glad I can iron this shit out before things get heavy.

On a side not, what would you guys do in my situation. New job has be working 7am-5pm. Do I:

A: Workout at 5am and beat the morning rush
    B: Workout at 6pm with all of the meatheads?

It might just be me, but I've always lifted better in the morning, assuming I'm well rested.

Alarm clock has been set for 4:20. Coffee machine has been pre-programed as well, gona need it.

Workout B

Weight: 178.8lbs

Warmup: 5 mins C2

Sq: 185x3x5
    Press: 100x3x5
    PC: 140x5x3
    Dips (BW): 20. 15. 10. 10.

Post workout: 2 cups whole Milk, 9oz Sweet Potato, 2 scoops whey, Almond Butter

Notes: Fucking bagged. Workout was done at 5am, then I went and worked my second job at 7am. Must have walked 15-20k trimming industrial plazas today. Working again tomorow 7-7, time to hit the sack!

Workout A

Weight: 177lbs (-1lb)

Warmup: 5 mins C2

Sq: 195x3x5
    Bench: 160x3x5
    DL: 225x1x5
    Chins (BW): Bw+15x10/Bw+15x10/Bw+15x8
    45 degree Back Ext w/45lb plate: 10x2 sets
    45lb V-ups: 20/20

Cooldown: 10mins Bike L15

Notes: Yesterday was another long ass 11hr day at work. My back was torched when I got home so I did some foam rolling along with some piriformis, glute and psoas strecthing. Slept like shit becuase I probably ate half a carton of ice cream before bed. Sugar rush FTL!

Got my new Do-wins in today and it felt alot different Squating with them. Squats are feeling heavier and bar speed is starting to slow just a titch. Really need to focus on not dive bombing the start.

Took everyones advice and locked my elbows beofre grabbing the bar for my Deadlifts. And whadya know, things got easier! I really felt alot more glute involvement pulling like that, probably becuase I wasnt curling a 200+lb fucking bar.

Firehall/Rest day tomorow, Training Sat if I feel fresh. Firehall/Rest again on Sunday.
    Last edited by Smoke_Eater; 05-20-2010 at 02:00 PM.

I don't know where you work, but being on shift is anything but a rest day for me. If you really plan on working your second job, you might want to consider going to a 2x per week workout schedule so that you can give yourself some true rest days. You will burn out sooner rather than later going at your current rate.

-Hat

PS - How is it you only work 2 shifts a week, do you guys run with a kelly day?

We work 24hr shifts. My hall/truck runs 2700 calls a year so we are pretty busy. Shift Rotation works like this:

Week 1: Fri, Sun
    Week 2: Weds, Sat
    Week 3: Tues
    Week 4: Mon, Thurs

Give you alot of spare time, but I find I NEED to sleep when I get home on the days after being at the hall. We work 7am-7am and Im usually in bed by 8am the following morning. I sleep till 11am-12pm.

Im not sure how long this part time gig is going to last. Even if I cut down to 2x's a week, with my hall being as busy as it is Im sure itll burn me out as it is.

So do you guys run a 4 shift platoon then? Most every department here in NE Florida runs 24/48 (24 hours on, 48 hours off). I think the engine I'm currently assigned to ran close to 4500 last year. We run primarily EMS calls, 20% fire related, 80% ems related.

If you get up more than twice during the night for any extended amount of time it definitely wears on you. You won't notice it so much now that the weights are still relatively light, but once you get into some heavy stuff you will reach a point of no return.

Currently I do strictly conditioning/metcon/crossfit type workouts on the mornings when I'm getting off shift and I do my strength work on the days before I work. It's been working well so far.

Anyways, good luck!

-Hat

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke_Eater View Post
    Forgot to add that I ordered the following on Sunday:

- 1 Pair Rouge Do-wins
    - 13mm Inzer Lever Belt

Hopefully both come in asap. Will continue to Deadlift in my Chucks however.
    I like your log. I'm Tacoma firefighter. Just started doing SS with a friend. I too just got some rogue do wins and a 13mm EliteFTS belt. It's good to see another firefighter on here.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast