starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Unpossible's ABA-BAB extravaganza

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks Beltshumeltz, I'll try that on Wednesday. It's quite possible that I'm focusing on everything else and just assuming the grip will hold, when I should actually also be thinking about gripping the bar as hard as I can. I'm actually resetting my grip between each rep already. This is definitely 5RM territory for me.

Today (5/17):

Bodyweight 100.2 Kg (220lbs).+ 22 lbs in 5 weeks, +4.5 lbs/week. Can't complain there.

Squat 3x5x300
    Press 3x5x142.5
    PClean 5x3x170

As Rxd, but I went up on my toes slightly on the very last press rep. I also managed to tweak my neck (??) during the first set of presses.
    Squats felt heavy but my lower back was fine.
    Power cleans were sloppy overall, I think.

Squats 3x5x305
    Bench press 3x5x215
    Deadlift 1x5x410

As Rxd except deadlift again, which was more of a 3+2 with at least 10-15 seconds between each half-set. Grip seemed to be the issue like last time, even though I tried to focus on gripping the bar and only went up 5lbs from last Friday. So what's my next step? Back off on weight? Straps? Keep doing 4+1's and 3+2's with minimal rest?

I think I'm going to tape myself squatting. Not sure about depth either way and would like to see what's going on at the bottom with my knees, hips and lower back.

Bench press was heavy but went well.

I did a quick farmer's hold with 2 120lb dumbbells for grip work, but I don't have time to add the accessory work I would like (grip and rack presses). One hour + in the gym is plenty right now.

Squats 3x5x310
    Press 3x5x143.75
    Power clean 5x3x175

As Rxd. Had a long day at the office yesterday and only 4 hours of sleep (baby acting up), so I was a bit worried, but evrerything went pretty well.

I still would like to double check my squat depth but it felt like I was getting a decent bounce and drive at the bottom. Shoulder/arm flexibility is still crap, though, causing my wrists to bend under the bar a bit. I'm going to want to work on that so I don't get in my own way as things get more and more serious.
    During my warm-up sets, some guy doing seated calf raises with 85 pounds tried to convince me that I should look up when I squat to protect my neck. I thanked him and said I had heard otherwise.

Press went surprisingly well. Last rep of each set was a bit of a chore, but nothing like the grinding misses or near misses on Monday and last Wednesday. I think it's form as much as strength that is improving here.
    Note: For microloading, I'm using chains as described here: http://stronglifts.com/madcow/Topics/Microloading.htm Cheap and effective.

Power cleans were half-decent, as far as I could tell, with a few uglier ones and few nicer ones. At 175lbs, I can still work on form without worrying too much about misses.

Played indoor soccer for about an hour and 1/2 last night. My heavier, slower, deconditioned self is feeling it this morning!

Today:

Squat 3x5x315
    Bench press 3x5x220
    Deadlift 1x5x415

Additional grip work: Rack pull+hold 2x1x315

As Rxd except good old deadlift, 3+1.8. Rested just enough to re-chalk after the 3rd rep felt borderline. Last rep wasn't a meet-quality lift. My grip was, as ever, the main culprit.

Nothing really noteworthy going on with my squat and bench press. The bar feels heavy but I'm not detecting any major issues. I'm really hoping I can ride this progression for a few more weeks.

Waiting for my Inzer 10mm lever belt! Hopefully some time this week.

edit: bodyweight 101.4 kg (223 lbs). These are all bw "PRs", of course, but weight gain is no longer a priority, so I'm going to ease up on the milk while trying to make sure I eat enough to recover well.
    Last edited by Unpossible; 05-25-2010 at 07:59 AM. Reason: forgot weekly weigh-in

Squat 3x5x320
    Press 3x5x145
    Power clean 5x3x180

Everything as Rxd, but felt beat up and sloppy all round, most likely due to playing basketball yesterday. And to the weights getting heavier of course.

Inzer 10mm lever belt arrived yesterday! Better keep working hard, 'cause this baby is going to turn a few heads at the YMCA.

Squat 3x5x325
    Bench press 3x5x225
    Deadlift 1x5x420

Squat:
    First time using my brand spanking new belt. Used it for my last warm-up set and all work sets. Looked like a total badass; felt like a pussy. Holy bruising, Batman! Did all the reps, but it was hard to tell how my form or depth were while I was getting stabbed in the gut and upper thighs. I think I still benefited from the added support, but until my belt and I get better acquainted, it seems like it's going to be a distraction more than anything else.

Bench press:
    Went ok. Left elbow acting up for some reason. Will need to keep a close eye on that.

Deadlift:
    No belt (tried a few light reps but was really getting in the way). 1x5 turned into 2+1+1+1+0.5 (re-chalk, 5-10s rest between reps).
    Fuck my grip. Last rep was iffy at lockout. I'm going to reset this lift, no point in putting more weight on the bar if I can't hold it. I really think the rest of my body could handle it, but straps don't look like the answer right now.
    Did a couple of 365 double overhand rack pulls+holds (with belt).

Bodyweight: 100.8 kg. Down a bit, not that I care either way. Probably due mostly to lower hydration since the weather's been hot and I've been drinking less milk.

Squats 3x5x330 (last warm-up set and work sets with belt)
    Press 3x5x146.25 (last warm-up set and work sets with belt)
    Power clean 5x3x185

Everything as Rxd.

The belt felt better than last time when squatting, I'm starting to break it in.

I had to tighten it a notch for the press and fiddled around forever like a klutz getting the screws back on. The belt really helped for the press, kept me from overextending my lower back. I wonder if I can go back to 2.5lb jumps instead of 1.25?

Power cleans are starting to feel heavy, really have to think about being explosive and finishing the pull.

All in all, a good day at the gym.

starting strength coach development program
    Sq uat 3x5x335

Bench press 3x5x230

Deadlift 1x5x425

As Rxd except DL: 2+2+1

Squats didn't feel 100% solid. I had to work hard to push my knees out. Last warm-up set and work sets with belt.

Bench press went well, although a few reps were real grinders. I think my elbows weren't where they should be during past sessions. Concentrating more on form seems to alleviate the inner elbow pain that had started to creep up.

Another deadlift day, another split set due to grip issues. As always, I'm only pausing to rechalk, so it's not like I'm really doing doubles and singles. Or am I? In any case, it seems to me that since grip is really the limiting factor, there's no point in resetting right now. Time will tell. Speaking of time, I did'nt have time to add some grip work. And so it goes...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast