starting strength gym

Thread: mi233623 Training Log

Default mi233623 Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok, here I go again. I joined this forum back in February when I was trying my first attempt at the program and failed horribly I'll admit. I believe I started at weights that were far more flattering than that of my actual abilities and about a 6 weeks into it I suffered a lingering hammy injury. Well months later I am back and with a renewed burning desire to get stronger. As of today I am five workouts into the program and started at much lower weights than before. I am paying (what I perceive as) excruciating attention to my form on all lifts and I feel MUCH more confident this time around. I want to log my workouts because I feel by doing so I will uphold myself to a higher level of accountability than I would under normal circumstances. Plus it wouldn't hurt to receive some help, constructive criticisms, motivation etc. from established members of this forum. Without further ado, here are my stats:

Mike
    Height: 5' 7.5"
    Weight: 175lbs
    Estimated BF: 23% (fat ass)

Starting lifts: (all 3x5 except DL 1x5)
    Squat: 95lbs
    Deadlift: 170
    Bench Press: 115
    Press: 60
    Power Clean: 75

Today (5th workout)
    SQ: 135
    DL: 210
    BP: 125
    P: 65
    PC: 85

I've been following Mr. Rippetoe's advice as best as I can and have been eating clean (mostly), but am willing to gain weight despite my current weight problem in order to gain strength. A few years ago I was up to 200+ lbs. I can handle getting up there again if it means I can squat 300 lbs., but eventually I want to play sports recreationally and want to get my BF down to 10-15%. I have sold myself to this endeavor and have decided to commit ( if you knew my history with the ladies in regards to the word "commit" my words would have greater meaning to you ;-)). Any words of wisdom or warning or advice etcetera etcetera is much appreciated.
    Adieu.

Monday, November 5th, 2012

Workout 6:
    Weight: 177lbs

SQUAT

145lbs 3X5

PRESS

70lbs 3X5

POWER CLEAN

95lbs 3X5

Everything is going along smooth thus far. Though I've gained two pounds in the last week. I'm trying to balance gains with fat loss. I'm definitely prioritizing strength gains over fat loss, but if I can do both I will. I've changed my eating calories to a bit over what I believe are my maintenance calories and will increase intake as lifts begin to slow or stall. Hopefully this week I can make gains without gaining any fat (nice to dream).

Welcome back into SS. I also started last Feb and crashed out with an injury and restarted in late August. Advice: eat lots of meat, sleep 8 hrs a day and get to the gym 3x a week every single week. If you can stick with lots of meat and veggies and avoid the high carb stuff (bead, pasta, potatoes, etc), you won't gain too much fat, even eating a lot. Great progress so far.

Thanks, Gene. All I basically eat is meat, cheese, nuts and veggies/salad. I am hoping that a very low carb/keto-ish approach will be effective for trimming the fat while on the program. I found that I am one of those types of people that function well with little carbs and have made low carb a lifestyle. I think sleep will be the most difficult thing for me because I work 2 jobs: one during the day and the other overnight. I have to get my workouts in between and still manage to have some type of a life, but where there's a will there is a way. I have a workout today that I am excited about, but got off of work at 7am so I've got to get some sleep first. Will be logging it when I get home afterwards. Oh and before I forget, I'm curious as to how your progress been this time around?

Wow, two jobs! Well, sleep when you can. You can read all about my progress (or lack there of !) on my log here, Geezer Novice Log.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=33660