starting strength gym
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dougs becoming a useful human being log.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks, brain I will try that cue on monday.

squats 5x3 295 press 5x3 147 1/2 clean 3x5

Seems that I was writing my sets and reps backwards, fixed. I got my squats up but I'm having trouble keeping my eyes down and my chest up at the same time. I seem to either kill hip drive or bring it up with to much of a rounded back.
    I failed on my last rep of my last set for press. Time to start going up in 1 1/2 pound increments, boo. Cleans are frustrating in that I will occassionally have a great rep and it the bar will just fly up to my shoulders. I could definitly do a lot more if I just got my technique straightened out. Still I'm progressing over all and no major upsets.

Yesterday was a big milestone day. I squatted 300 and benched 200. The squats were so damn hard, but the bench was no problem at all. Droped my deadlift down to 330, thought about "pushing my feet through the floor" and curling back my toes, it worked real well.

Funny story, I'm doing my last warm up set on squats and this guy about my age starts laughing, giggling really. I look over at him and giving him a questioning expression then he said "dude that's crazy that weight would snap me in half" I chuckle and after I do my first work set he says "dude I was like no way he's going down that far then you did! Then I was like "no way he's coming back up and you did!" It was pretty funny and felt good even though I know I'm not very strong as of yet.

Oh yeah, a little bit later I see the same guy doing half range of motion rack pulls with 90 pounds. I must have looked a little confused so he told me he was doing "deadlifts" He said that he had only done them one other time from the floor and that he had hurt his back. His trainer gave him about 5 seconds of instruction then had him try to do 50 deadlifts with 135 pounds....yeah let that sink in for a second. I was able to correct his technique a bit and suggest that he try pulling from the ground instead. He also asked how I got so strong in just a few months and I tried explaining about linear progression, but i could tell it was sort of going in one ear and out the other. Ah well can't help everyone.

okay I'm back! I did workout on wednesday but it was a terrible workout, failed on squats failed on press, power cleans were wonky. Today went much better though.

reset squats to 295 and finally started doing them right! Seems I was still about two inches too high this entire time. They were hard but my form didn't really break down at all. No rounding of the back or anything. Bench pressed 202 1/2 I think I could have handled even more weight but my lift bicep started killing me on the second set. I finished fine but it was really hurting. I was so excited after my deadlift set, it felt surprising light!...then I realized I loaded it 20 pounds light. I skipped pullups because I was running late for work. Still since I squated right for the first time and set an all time pr for the benchpress I call it a good day.

squat 3x5 300 press 3x5 140 clean 5x3 150. pullups 5 4 3

Gym was closed on monday but I got in there at 5:20 this morning. My squats went great. Press felt good, I think I hadn't been leaning back far enough and my bar path and been a little infront of the center of my foot. Things felt much better today and I"m gonna take 2 pound jumps on it. Cleans are a continueing source of frustration. Finally gonna stop putting it off and get some coaching this weekend though.

Oh had a consult with John Shaefer this weekend. Over all diet looked good but he recommended a few tweaks. He also told me to get myself a neck harness and start using that three times a week so I can thicken up my neck and help cheat the silly military body fat measurement test. Oh and the big thing I have to remember is DON"T GET STUCK. That fucks everything up.

Hey Doug --

Firstly, congratulations on the 300# squat @ 5:30 in the damn morning LOL How you could bang that out at such an ungodly hour is beyond me LOL But in all seriousness, nice work on a solid workout. I hope to be joining you in the 300# squat club soon.

Also, good luck with your continued efforts and with thwarting those stupid, antiquated body-mass requirements. My heart goes to fellas like you, because we have to jump through a lot of hoops as it with the weight lifting (organizing schedule, dealing with the wife when she gets pissed that you have to buy new shirts and pants AGAIN because you keep growing out of them, etc) without having to worry about tape tests.

Keep getting stronger and stick with it! And get that neck nice and thick ;-)

Cheers!

Hey thanks a lot Gamedog, it only looks like your a couple of weeks away. Yeah the bmi is pretty stupid, but I could definitely stand to drop a few pounds of fat so it's all for the best.

Websites been down so I haven't been able to log the last couple sessions.

I got some training on the squat from a coach I found in the starting strength directory. It's a bit embarrassing but I was doing several things wrong and I was having trouble doing 250 with really good form. Still I think I got most everything ironed out and I"m gonna go back on wednesday for some help with my deadlift/clean. Anyway todays workout.

squat 3x5 255 press 3x5 142 cleans 5x3 150 chin ups 4 3 3

Didn't get a chance to update yesterday. I benched 207 1/2 2x5 squated 260 3x5 and worked on my cleans and deadlift later that day with my trainer.

I'm pretty frustrated right now. First I learn I'm doing my squat all wrong and I need to significantly drop the weight. No the same thing with my dead lifts. Apparently I'm lifting with kind of a rounded back and the middle of my back moves before my scapula. So I think I need to drop it down to at least 300 pounds. I'm also having some pain when I bench and the press is moving up with frustrating slowness. I just feel like if I actually knew what I was doing that I could still make great progress for quite awhile.

Still it's not all bad I guess at least I'll be squatting and dead lifting correctly now. I even got some help on my clean. I have a couple problem areas with it but I think if I deload a bit I can start making consistent progress.

squat 3x5 265 press 3x5 143 1/2 pclean 135 5x3 pullups 5 4

Was a bit rushed in the gym today so I didn't get to practice my pcleans as much as I wanted or finish my last set of pullups. Still it went alright My press felt really, really good. I think I'm getting better at putting some intensity into my lifts. Squats are moving up fine now and I think my pclean form is way better. I just have to get stronger and learn to fire everything off at the same time. Oh and bodyweight is holding steady, I just need to stop being weak willed and follow what John set out for me 6 days a week.

starting strength coach development program
    squats 3x5 270 bench 3x5 210 deadlift 1x5 300 pullups 5 4 3

Good workout over all. I kept good form throughout my squats and I think I will be able to keep on moving up for some time. Bench hurt a little less. I think I may start taking 2 pound jumps though. I reset my deadlift since my form was so bad before. I'm still not sure if I was rounding my lower back to much though. I have never been terribly athletic so it's just really hard on me to concentrate on doing like 8 different things and doing them all well at the same time. Still my weight is remaining constant and I'm making progress over all so I'm trying not to get bummed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast