starting strength gym
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength, Waterpolo and Connditioning

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Callahan View Post
    With my athletes they have gained an average of 15-20lbs and all dropped swim times across the board.

Dead weight will slow you down, but not muscle mass. At a lean 195lbs you will be faster than you would be at 175lbs.

Good luck, and keep working hard!
    I would be happy if i gained so extra muscle mass. I think within progression this should happen, but my first goal is strength.

In what time they've gained 15-20lbs? Sounds like a huge difference.

Some other stuff:
    I really care about the deepth of my squat. But i thing maybe i go too deep.

After reading alle the threads an stuff i suggest the my first rep here
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85ibcPoRCTY
    has the right deepth (pointing to much of the pictures of "the-whole"), but all the consecutive ones are way deeper. Should i stay with the range of motion of the first one? The first one is the only one without a little "butt-wink" (Stretching stuff is done, too...)

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__..._Placement.jpg
    Last edited by B117; 06-03-2010 at 02:15 AM.

Squat 115,5 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press 110 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 176 x 5 x 1

Facepulls 12 x 2
    Ext. rotations 12 x 2
    Sleeperstretch
    Band S-dislocates 30 x 1

- pretty easy

Calculating my logbook shows me i'll be hitting following weights in week #6:

SQ - 165lbs
    BP - 165lbs
    Dl - 253lbs
    Press - 88lbs

notes:
    - i have to use every weight in SQ twice, because of my weak 5Rm (176lbs) and the frequenzy Squats are performed (3x a week)
    - same at the press

-> i think this isn't dramatic because the weakly progress does happen
    -> also this is close to my former 5rms so i'm hopefully leaving them behind 2 weeks later
    Last edited by B117; 06-03-2010 at 08:32 AM.

Workout A
    Squat 121lbs x 5 x 3
    Press 71,5lbs x 5 x 3
    Power cleans 88lbs x 3 x 5

Chins BW x 15
    Knees to ellbows BW x 6,4
    Calves

- also pretty easy, but weather's hot...
    - need to work on pulling the barbell closer at PCs

Squat 126,5 x 5 x 3
    Bench Press 121 x 5 x 3
    Deadlift 185 x 5 x 1

BW x 12 Pullups
    Ab-rotations and crunches

- short resting time between sets
    - pretty easy

Workout A
    Squat 132lbs x 5 x 3
    Press 71,5lbs x 6 x 3
    Power cleans 88lbs x 3 x 5

Chins BW x 15
    Knees to ellbows BW x 8,6

- hot and easy; almost short breaks

Press
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1wbQiCuyP8

PC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=473IcwSBUjw
    Last edited by B117; 06-10-2010 at 09:01 AM.

Wait... why are you repeating every squat weight twice? Because six weeks from now you'll be 10 pounds less than your 5rm? I think the idea of SS is to INCREASE your 5rm. Quickly. At the LEAST, as an athlete, you should have no trouble at all handling 5lbs per workout, but most here would say 10 to start slowing down to 5lbs after a couple weeks... which of course requires eating food to sustain the rapid muscle growth. Don't short change yourself or the program.

Edit: watched your vids... those weights are EASY for you... stop repeating weights. Put weight on the bar and get stronger.
    Last edited by MazdaMatt; 06-10-2010 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Wait... why are you repeating every squat weight twice? Because six weeks from now you'll be 10 pounds less than your 5rm? I think the idea of SS is to INCREASE your 5rm. Quickly. At the LEAST, as an athlete, you should have no trouble at all handling 5lbs per workout, but most here would say 10 to start slowing down to 5lbs after a couple weeks... which of course requires eating food to sustain the rapid muscle growth. Don't short change yourself or the program.

Edit: watched your vids... those weights are EASY for you... stop repeating weights. Put weight on the bar and get stronger.
    At first, thanks for posting here!

Yes thats the idea, but for programming Rippetoe says that it should be programmed to hit former 5rm in week 4-6, so i programmed it like this.

I'm really weak at Pushing and Squatting. Putting the smallest increment on Squats and Presses everey workout (5,5lbs -> 2,5kg) i would hit it more or less after ~4 weeks. Rippetoe says he'd highly recommend to hit it in week 6.

Maybe I'm confused...but are you sure that it isn't supposed to be 6 workouts?

You are blasting that press up. You're underestimating your ability.

Personally, i'm a wuss and I'm going up 5lbs per workout and I've done so for a looong time. I don't participate in sports and I sit on my ass all day. I've been doing 5lbs per press and bench, too.

Most people use 10lbs per workout on squats to start, then slow to 5 when shit gets heavy. Give 5lbs a try for a few workouts, but be sure to eat and sleep accordingly.

Can you post a squat check? Can you film them so they show up upright in youtube?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Maybe I'm confused...but are you sure that it isn't supposed to be 6 workouts?

You are blasting that press up. You're underestimating your ability.

Personally, i'm a wuss and I'm going up 5lbs per workout and I've done so for a looong time. I don't participate in sports and I sit on my ass all day. I've been doing 5lbs per press and bench, too.

Most people use 10lbs per workout on squats to start, then slow to 5 when shit gets heavy. Give 5lbs a try for a few workouts, but be sure to eat and sleep accordingly.

Can you post a squat check? Can you film them so they show up upright in youtube?
    Yeah he talks about hitting the 5rm in week 4 - 6, better in 6. i'm in week 2, so weight are fuckin easy, as programmed and told (after substracting 33lbs in press...).

so in week 6/7 it would be heavy i guess and im leaving 5rms in the past. your suppose with increasing 5lbs per workout would let me hit 5rm in SQ in week 5.
    i'm not hurring about 2 weeks at all. i think that's the way to manage my recovery (add 3 times a week waterpolo an 2x conditioning to SS).

SQ video should be on the last page.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast