starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Borboski's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Well after a few days of junk food I need to get back on it tonight. After Friday night's pizza, I had a curry Sunday night, and 8 cans of lager.... and last night another pizza and 3 cans.

I do feel like I've put on a bit of fat already (and is it suprising eating like that!) but the test is whether I get stronger - tonight will be:

Squat 79kg 5 x 5
    Bench 77kg 5 x 5
    Deadlift 91kg x 5
    Dips 13, 13

I'll move to the 3 x 5s, not 5 x 5s shortly, but figure I'll stick with what I've been doing tonight.

Did it, sorted. Squats were fine, bench press was quite hard work, I reckon I'll go up another 2kg next time and after that 1kg a session.

Next session in the books...

Squat 81kg 5 x 5
    Seated press 35kg 5 x 5
    Powerclean 43kg 3 x 5
    Chins 9, 7

This workout feels a lot easier than the other, with bench and deadlift. That's in part because I'm lifting closer to my max on those lifts, and perhaps also because powerclean doesn't seem right. I don't know if I should be sitting down as I clean it up, but I can basically flip it up there without too much effort, but it feels out of control.

Right, spag. bol. for tea then more porridge... i may think about doing the pancakes (cottage cheese, oats, eggs) again before too long...

Ah, I really cannot be bothered today. Been for a 2 hour light bike ride with the family. Still, post on here and I'll force myself, numbers later.

Finally... at 9.15 got done finished. Not great as I have american football training tommorow, at this rate I'll be lifting on the morning of training.

Starting my workout at about 4pm
    Squat 83kg 5 x 5
    Went well, I think next time I will only go up by 2kg and focus on making sure I keep low and good form - as it gets heavier it's easier to cheat. Not saying I did - 'onest.

Then... Mrs B comes down with our little girl and says we're having a BBQ. After they've spent 2 hours snoozing. So I stop my workout, go to the store, cook the meat, and so on, and then pick it up about 8.15...

Bench 81kg 5 x 5. Fifth rep of fifth set was a little bit weak so I reckon I will stay at 81kg next Thursday.

Deadlift 95kg - I did 3 sets because I'd had the 3 hour gap - and I loved doing these, felt strong doing them. Someone put a tip on here about seting, and then "showing" your chest to the mirror, that makes a lot of sense.

Dips 14, 14. These felt great, I was surprised given the bench was a bit wobbly, felt very strong the first set were done slow and controlled.

So, on we go.

Squat 85kg 5 x 5
    Seated press 39kg 5 x 5
    Powerclean 47kg 5 x 5
    Chins 10, 6

Your squat is coming along. Nice! Keep it up.

Cheers pal. I must get a video up. When I squat really low - which I'm trying to do - I sometimes get this almost electrical shock feeling in the sole of my left foot. I think it may be when I do not focus on pushing up from my heel.

Still - one of the areas where I feel the progress being made, as when I began this with a much fuller range of motion this was hard, hard work.

The seated press is now at the range where it's tough, that will go up only 2kg a session from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by borboski View Post
    Cheers pal. I must get a video up. When I squat really low - which I'm trying to do - I sometimes get this almost electrical shock feeling in the sole of my left foot. I think it may be when I do not focus on pushing up from my heel.

Still - one of the areas where I feel the progress being made, as when I began this with a much fuller range of motion this was hard, hard work.

The seated press is now at the range where it's tough, that will go up only 2kg a session from now on.
    That sounds strange... I'd heard that sensations like that might be related to nerves, but I'm not a doctor. I've been abiding by the "Keep your knees pushed out and push from your heels and you can't miss" philosophy. Obviously its a little more complicated than that, but you get the idea. Definitely keep pushing from your heels. I know that for me, that actually made my hip drive better and it improved my balance, too. A win-win.

It is hard work, squatting so low but GOOD ON YOU for doing it! You'll be all the better for it, as long as you keep it up and keep doing them properly.

Default Getting big or getting fat?

starting strength coach development program
    Well, I'm back up a belt notch. I definately have an increased gut. I'm yet to feel like I've gotten any stronger. The only notable progress is:
    1. On the squats, which is to be expected given I've crap squatted 120kg+ before.
    2. Dips and possibly chin ups.

Still - I'm happy to remain committed to this; the aim was to get stronger, not ripped. Tonight should be a bit of a test as I slightly stalled at 5 x 5 81kg last time, so I will try that again.

Next week will be a pain, I'm away on holiday in London for a week, so my routine will need to be:

SAT Lifting
    SUN American Football match
    MON Lifting in the morning before we set off.
    TUE
    WED
    THU
    FRI
    SAT Lifting
    SUN American football match

And obviously it's crap to be lifting before a game full stop, never mind the morning of the day after...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast