starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Andrew + SS = Stronger Andrew

Default Andrew + SS = Stronger Andrew

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've tried keeping a workout log on other forums in the past and never stayed consistent. No sense in not getting back up and trying again, eh?

My most recent lifts were on a 5x5 program (1x5 DL) 175 Squat, 225 DL, 135 Bench, Press 75, Chin-ups 3:2:.5

Given my 6'4" 215lbs frame these numbers are unacceptably low, so I'm going to switch to SS and get strong.

I think my squat form is off. I believe I need to get lower, and I may be rounding my back out of the bottom of the lift. Hard to tell without a workout partner or a video. I'm gonna start over at 135lbs and really work on form. Hoping to coerce the wife to take a vid and have it posted this afternoon along with my first workout details.

All feedback welcome. The more the merrier.

Good luck!! Whats your BF like?

Quote Originally Posted by ivankannan View Post
    Good luck!! Whats your BF like?
    16% last I checked, which was about three weeks ago. Pudgy.

The workout was good. The wifey took a video of me squatting 135 x 5 and my form was a lot better than I thought. That being said I bumped the weight up.

Squat 185 x 3 x 5
    Bench Press 145 x 3 x 5
    Deadlift 235 x 3 x 5

Had four fried eggs on english muffins with tomato slices and swiss cheese for breakfast, as well as three glasses of milk, some almonds, and a peach. Post workout I devoured some sushi, a smoothie (whey protein powder, 2tbsp peanut butter, 1/2 cup yogurt, 1/2 cup milk, a banana, and a handful of blueberries) and I'm just now about to down 3 or 4 glasses of milk and some more almonds.

Please offer any and all constructive criticism regarding my form.

Next update will be up on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS View Post
    The workout was good. The wifey took a video of me squatting 135 x 5 and my form was a lot better than I thought. That being said I bumped the weight up.

Please offer any and all constructive criticism regarding my form.

Next update will be up on Monday.
    Looks good to me, but you should ask for some more people's comments. I was wondering whether you are slightly leaning forward?

Thanks Ivan. I'm not too sure what to do about my forward lean. If I come up any straighter I have to round my back to keep the bar over the middle of the foot. I think the former makes my technique suffer less and leaves me less prone to breaking myself.

Anyone else?

Ate a spinach quiche (basically an egg pie with spinach, onion, and cheese in it) for dinner with watermelon, kiwi, and 3 glasses of milk for dinner last night. Leftover quiche for breakfast along with more watermelon and 3 glasses of milk. Then I'm gonna have a protein shake and some almonds later when running errands. Then the real fun begins as I start sanding and applying pre-stain treatment to my hardwood floors. Being pretty much the anti-diyer that I am that should be comical.

Todays workout went well.

Squats 195 x 3 x 5
    Press 85 x 3 x 5
    Cleans 95 x 3 x 5

Squats didn't feel too heavy, not nearly as much as last week. A good sign.

First attempt at power cleans. Awkward at first, but I think I was jumping with the bar too high on my leg. Still unsure about form, and my wrists didn't love it at all, but it definitely took it out of me. Glad they were last.

Ate an egg with cheese on a dry english muffin with a protein smoothie (powder, banana, blueberries, 2tbsp peanut butter, 1 cup milk) for breakfast as well as a protein shake, some milk (don't know how many glasses, drank from the jug) and piece of steak post-workout.

So based on more reading/forum lurking/and a thread or two I've decided I definitely need to eat more and keep track of what I'm eating to keep up linear progression. This hit me like a ton of bricks during Mondays squats which felt H E A V Y !

Squats
    45 x 5 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    205 x 5 x 3
    135 x 5

Bench Press
    95 x 5
    115 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 5 x 3

Deadlift
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    205 x 3
    235 x 5

So I switched to whole milk and did a gallon Tuesday and am over halfway through todays gallon. Eatings lots of eggs, steak, lunch meat sandwiches, almonds, protein shakes, and veggies. I'm gonna start keeping a food journal so I can post specific meals and times. Hopefully all the food and rest will make 215 x 3 x 5 doable today. I'd obviously rather not hit a wall this early in my training log and get stuck at just under bw for my squats. Update later tonight.

Good work, man. Keep it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Good work, man. Keep it up.
    Thanks Briks.

Todays workout was a success, and a letdown at the same time.

Squats
    45 x 5 x 2
    135 x 5
    155 x 3
    185 x 2
    205 x 1
    215 x 5 x 3

Press
    45 x 5
    65 x 5
    85 x 3
    95 x 5 x 2
    95 x 3 (failed on the 4th rep)

Cleans
    . . . nope

I had a time crunch today since I had to be home for the plumber to replace the busted water heater and then back at my new job soon thereafter so I wasn't able to fit in power cleans. Not happy about that or the failed set of presses. Gonna repeat 95 x 5 x 3 for next week's press.

I'm very happy with todays squats though. They didn't feel nearly as heavy as last week. I'm gonna attribute this to GOMAD and lots of red meat since it's the only variable I changed. I would say 2 or 3 reps in my working sets were a bit high, but it was still a great workout.

starting strength coach development program
    Today's workout:

Squat
    45 x 5 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    185 x 3
    225 x 5 x 3

Bench Press
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    145 x 2
    160 x 5 x 3

Deadlift
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 2
    255 x 5

Not too much to say about it. Squats were tough. I'm coming out of the hole slower than usual. Really trying to focus on hip drive. That's tough when I'm trying to simultaneously concentrate on my valsalva, low back arch, and chest up. I'd say form was acceptable, but hopefully I can get another vid posted, this time of a working set.

Bench is progressing nicely and doesn't seem to be getting more difficult as weight increases.

My deadlift warmup set at 225 felt fairly easy, so I said fuck it and went for 255 instead of 245. It was difficult, but I didn't have to sacrifice form. Grip may become an issue next dl workout since it was an effort to go double overhand today. Hopefully not.

Now for food, milk, and rest.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast