starting strength gym
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Black_Spit Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My lower back is a little sore from Deads and Squats in the same day on Monday. It occurred to me that I'm already starting to have a harder time recovering from adding weight to the squat 3x week at my current weights.

So my first adjustment is to ramp up to a top set on squats. And for the next week or so I'll be deciding where to go next training wise, whether Texas method or whatever.

Today:

Squat
    135x5
    225x5
    265x5

Press
    120x5
    120x5
    120x5

Power Clean
    135x3
    135x3
    135x3
    Last edited by Black_Spit; 08-11-2010 at 06:55 AM.

Well I am reading PPST today at work and I guess I won't be doing what I talked about above.

I guess I will just stick out the program the way I am until I reach a point that I do not progress, and then follow the protocol in the book.

30 minutes cardio today. Walking on the treadmill.

Did NOT feel like rolling out of bed for cardio this morning. I'm really just hoping to keep from getting bigger at this point. If I can "recomp" as they say (lose some fat and build some muscle) that would be great for now.

Appetite is huge right now, and I'm eating mass quantities of protein.

Wow today was easily the toughest workout since I started this program. My sleep has not been enough this week, and by yesterday morning I already was looking forward to the weekend for some rest, and this morning I felt myself filling up with all kinds of excuses to not do squats this morning, or deadlifts... Of course I get up at 4:30 am to lift, so I need to work on getting to sleep a little earlier.

It felt good to finish up though. I''m currently about to kill my post w/o breakfast, the one thing I have not been skimping on this week is food/protein.

About to have 6 eggs cooked in coconut oil, 12 oz bacon, 4 pc toast, 2 pc sharp cheddar cheese, and a banana, and maybe some oatmeal if I feel like it. edit- ended up being about 76g protein.

Workout:

Squat- 275 lb 3x5
    Bench- 240 lb 3x5
    Dead - 275 lb 1x5

Btw I realize I write my sets and reps backwards from what everyone else here does, but I'm too stuck in my ways and I find it hard to think of it backwards.
    Last edited by Black_Spit; 08-13-2010 at 07:38 AM.

Hey, I notice you're doing deadlifts for 3 sets of 5. FYI, the program calls for only one set of 5 for deadlifts, and I'm sure your deadlift numbers and your recovery will shoot up if you make this change.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    Hey, I notice you're doing deadlifts for 3 sets of 5. FYI, the program calls for only one set of 5 for deadlifts, and I'm sure your deadlift numbers and your recovery will shoot up if you make this change.
    This. And why did you make a 10 lbs jump on the squat? I don't think that you can keep a steady progress with 10lbs every workout.

Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    I keep doing that on accident. I've only been doing 1 set.
    Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    This. And why did you make a 10 lbs jump on the squat? I don't think that you can keep a steady progress with 10lbs every workout.
    You're probably right.

Thanks for stopping in guys.
    Last edited by Black_Spit; 08-14-2010 at 12:47 PM.

Default Week 6 Workout 1

Rough day today. I've got my right shoulder bothering me and my lower back is starting to feel some pain (maybe not pain as much as getting pumped too much) like I said last week during squats especially.

That's one reason why I like to start using a belt when I get in this weight range. I'm hoping that Inzer belt I ordered comes before my next workout day on Wednesday.

Squat: 3x5 280 lb's
    Press: 3x5 125 lb's
    Clean: 5x3 140 lb's

Default Week 6 Workout 2

Another rough day today.

My shoulder is hurting, and Bench Presses aggravated it today. This happened to me before back in 06, when I was doing Starr's Intermediate, and believe it or not, at the exact same weight (in the 240 range). Last time, I had to take a few weeks (3-4, can't remember exactly) off of Bench Presses and it went away completely, and I ended up blasting through the 240x5 range all the way on up to the 285x5 range.

Strangely, overhead Presses didn't bother my shoulder at all. So I guess I could do like the guy in one journal here and just do presses every day and lower my progression rate to 2-3 lb's or so.

Today:

Light Squat:
    135x5
    225x5

Deadlift
    280x5

Bench Press
    135x5
    185x5
    225x2
    245x5

I could tell after the first work set that it would be pretty dumb to continue.

Default Week 6 wrap up

starting strength coach development program
    Well, with an injury, sore back and a lack of sleep last night, I missed my first workout in this 6 week time frame.

My alarm was going off at the normal time (4:20 am) and I hit the snooze (VERY unlike me) and after that it was over. I decided in my half-awake haze that sleep/recovery would be better for me at this time than my workout session.

Up until this morning, I have been excited for all of my workouts. Hopefully after a little bit of rest this weekend, I will feel that way again by Monday.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast