• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Friday 10/15/10

Bodyweight- 200.2

Squat- 225x5x3
    Press- 155x4 (intensity day)
    Deadlift- 135x8
    165x5

Squats were all over the place. The weight felt very light, but trying to make the form changes made it feel awkward. I wasn't able to videotape to see if it looked better, but hopefully I will be able to tape most of my sets going forward so I can see if the form is being corrected as I build back up to previous PR land. I will make 10 pound jumps up to 245 or 255 depending how the form is going.

Presses were great. My goal is to cycle sets of 3,2,1 on intensity day for both press and bench. This was supposed to be my 3x155 day, and I surprisingly got a strong 4. When I had gone for my 1-rep intensity day 2 weeks ago, I could only manage 160x1. So 155x4 felt really good.

Deadlifts are basically just working on form and trying to get the blood flowing through my lower back. I feel like my form was good and I didn't have any pain. I will make 20-30 pound jumps on these for a while I think since I had gotten up to 285x5 and 355x1 in the spring before I hurt myself.

Didn't have time for assistance work on Friday.

Monday 10/18/10

Bodyweight- 198.4

Squat- 235x5x3
    Bench Press (volume day)- 245x5x4
    245x4x1
    Chinups- 7x40
    6x40
    11xbodyweight
    Curls- 7x40 pound dumbells
    6x40 pound dumbells

Squats felt alright. I played about 2 hours of basketball Sunday morning and was pretty sore all over, but since I have re-set, the weight was light enough where it wasn't a problem. I am really concentrating on 3 things: Knees out, sit back, hip drive. Watching myself on video, I feel like there has been an improvement in those areas on most reps. If I get the videos uploaded, I will post.

Failed on the 25th rep with 245 on Bench Press. I think i figured out a tiny form flaw on the 5th set, but by that point I had exhausted myself so much that I still couldn't complete the set. I will repeat 245 on my next bench volume day in 2 weeks. I think I should have no problem getting all 25 reps at that point, especially if my bodyweight is up over 200 where it should be.

Chins were fine. I usually do all 3 sets with the 40 pound vest but I tried the last set with just bodyweight and was happy with how I did.

Curls are curls.

Wednesday 10/20/10

Bodyweight- 198.6

Squats-245x5x3
    Set 1- http://sharing.theflip.com/session/7...video/21835021

Set 2- http://sharing.theflip.com/session/7...video/21834911

Set 3- http://sharing.theflip.com/session/7...video/21834831

Presses- 145x5x3 (PR)
    Deadlifts- 195x5

If anyone is tracking this log, could you let me know if this form looks any better than my videos at 270. I am concentrating on knees out, sitting back, and hip drive. I don't think I am there, but I am hoping its an improvement. My tendonitis was noticeably less painful the last few days than it usually is in the days following squatting.

Presses were a nice PR. Tough but not a max effort.

Deadlifts I am still taking slow. I will deadlift again monday before going to John Schaeffers seminar at Greyskull on Oct 30th.

10/22/10

Bodyweight- 198.8 (Scale acting wacky. Needs new battery. This might be too light. I hope. Ive been counting calories and it makes no sense that I am under 200)

Squats- 250x5x3
    Bench Press- 270x3 (PR) (Intensity Day)
    Chins- 7x40
    7x40
    11xbodyweight
    Dips- 14x40
    9x40

Squats were great. I am really starting to understand how it feels to sit back properly and get good hip drive. I didn't have video, but my training partner noticed a significant difference. I just have to keep working on it and make it part of my muscle memory. Id say about 10 of my 15 reps were good this time. Gotta make that 15 for 15.

Bench was tough. For some reason my left shoulder kinda gave out as I was taking the bar down before the first rep, which made that rep a real struggle. Got the groove back on the 2nd rep though and it went easy. 3rd rep was tough but never in doubt. Nice PR there. Next intensity day I will try either 280 or 285 for a double, depending on how I feel.

Chins were good. I like doing the bodyweight set as my 3rd set now.

Dips also went well. 14x40 pounds at the end of my workout is pretty good I think. Big dropoff down to 9 on the second set, but thats ok. My body isn't as used to recovering from higher rep ranges.

10/23/10

Starr Shrugs- 365x5x3
    Hill runs- 3x300m

Was actually supposed to do the shrugs last night but I was exhausted from a tough workout and put them off til this morning. I love these things though and I definitely think they are really helping my presses and trap size.

I have a hill near my house that is a trail through the woods. I am guessing the distance at about 300m and a pretty steep incline the whole way. This is my first time running it in years so I just did what I could. I just run up (didn't time myself today but its usually about 1:15 to get up), walk back down, and run up as soon as I get back down. Probably works out to about a 4 minute break between runs. By the third one, I was dying. Hamstrings were on fire and I thought I was gonna throw up. I figured that was enough for the day. I am adding these in since I am planning to be playing basketball and flag football a lot in the upcoming months, and I am really out of shape right now.

10/25/10

Bodyweight- 197.8

Presses- 140x5x5 (volume day)

I played basketball Sunday morning and my left kneecap slightly dislocated. I have dislocated that kneecap about 15-20 times in my life though, so I know from experience this wasn't a bad one. However, it swelled up on me a little bit and will probably keep me from squatting until next Monday. I will just do upper body this week before going to the Deadlift Seminar Saturday and then start squatting again Monday.

Presses with 140 were tough by the 5th set, but I never had any doubt I'd complete them. I will bench light on Wednesday and then try to get 2x165 on presses Friday for intensity day. Last time I tried 165 I couldn't even get 1, but I think I will get the 2 this time. The Texas Method has been working well so far.

I am getting frustrated with my bodyweight, but the basketball the past 2 sundays plus the hill runs Saturday and some bad weekend eating explain a lot of that. I hope to be up over 200 for good by the end of this week.

10/27/10

Bench Press- 225x5x3 (light day)
    Chins- 8x40
    6x40
    11xbodyweight
    Curls- 7x40s
    6x40s

Not much to report here. Knee is getting better but still not ready to squat. Hopefully Monday.

Moved my grip in slightly on bench press from having my middle finger on the rings to having my ring fingers on the rings. My shoulder has been feeling kind of weird, so I figured I'd give this a shot on my light day and see how it felt. It did seem to relieve a little pressure on the shoulder, but it also seemed to make the lift a little harder, as 225x5x3 wasn't as easy as it should have been. That said, since I am in this for the long haul, I think I am going to stick with the slighlty narrower grip going forward if it continues to make my shoulder feel more comfortable. If it forces me to take a little off my lifts, so be it. An extra 5 pounds now isn't worth risking injury.

10/29/10

Presses (Intensity Day)- 165x0 (F)
    160x2 (PR)
    Dips- 16x40
    12x40

Failed on my attempt at 165 on the press, which I had been hoping to get for 2. But I still set a PR with 2x160. My previous best was 1x160. So not a great improvement but its something.

starting strength coach development program
    I am going to be moving my log over to John Schaeffers new site, Strengthvillain.com.

I met John on Saturday for his deadlift training camp at Greyskull and it was incredibly helpful. He corrected the problems I had on the deadlift which had led me to injure myself multiple times. I had been failing to get my back into proper extension during the setup. For whatever reason, the cue "Squeeze your chest up" just didn't work for me, but once I realized that it was simply another way to say "arch your back hard", it all fell into place. I worked up to a single with 285, which while it isn't much, was still the most I'd done in a long time. I could have done more but my back was still tender and I didn't want to push it. Plenty of time for that later. And when I woke up the next day, it was the first time I didn't have really bad lower back pain in a long time. Same for this morning. While there is still a little bit of lingering pain, I'm confident that deadlifting correctly will straighten me out in no time.

Besides the deadlift fix (which would have been well worth the money by itself), the whole day at Greyskull was insanely informative. We touched on basically every exercise and a lot of more general ideas on training. John is big into thinking outside the box and not being locked into the idea that there is only one way to do things and everything else is wrong. He gave me some programming ideas that I will begin implementing this week. I also only live about 30 minutes from Greyskull so I am going to be stopping in there to workout every few weeks or so to make sure I am not slipping into any bad habits.

Because of all the help John has given me, it makes sense for me to log over there so he can keep tabs on my progress and continue to help. I still plan on being on this forum a lot, mainly for Rip's Q & A and to check up on other peoples' logs (Gamedog, Mazda, etc.).

If you want to check out my log on Strengthvillain.com, I will probably begin posting tomorrow under the handle BobbyBriks.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567