starting strength gym
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: A Spartan's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by gamedog View Post
    Enjoy it buddy! And good luck today!
    Friday was a fucked up day, which ended with a fucked up workout. Some motherfucker decided to ruin my day, so he slashed with a knife two of the tires of my car during the night. Fuck! So I call this friend of mine, change both tires, go to the repair shop of a friend, who says that the tires could not be repaired anymore! There go 200 bucks. So I have to go home, pick up a couple of tires I had when I first bought my car, and went to the repair shop. Obviously I was tired by the end of the the day, but I decided I couldn't loose my workout, and went to the gym. As most of you have already got to the point, my workout went to hell. I didn't reach depth in the last set of the squats and by the end of them was already gassed. The press felt heavy as fuck, and the p.cleans were done for only two reps as I was too tired. BUT the good news is that the PROGRAM is working. Those tires sure felt light compared to a year before .

Firday's Workout
    10/01/2010

Squat (5x3)
    Press
    130x3x2
    P.Cleans
    95x3x2

I'll repeat the squat, I can't have over parallel squats anymore. This has to be done right.

PS. I tried on Saturday and Sunday uncle Gamedog's recipe and it was delicious. I couldn't find feta cheese, but all the rest was still very good. I'm gonna try eating this as much as I can, b/c I need even more protein.

Man, there's nothing more chicken-shit than fucking with another man's automobile, I'm sorry to hear that. Damn, that kind of thing can fuck up anybody's day. However, I am glad to hear that the tires "felt lighter" ;-) And also that you enjoyed your dinner, too :-D Steaks with olive salad is probably the one dish that I never, ever get tired of. And it helps me tremendously. Good luck repeating the squats, I have a feeling that after a good night's sleep or two, and some more good food, you'll reach depth and be just fine!

Finally, thank God a great workout!
    10/05/2010

Squat (5x3)
    Bench (5x3)
    172 (PR)
    Deadlift (5x1)
    265 (PR)

Squats were done ATG, and I finally BOUNCED of the bottom. The Bench and Deads were done fast and easy. This is one of those GOOD days, when PRs come like nothing. Thank GOD. On the deads I kept my feet a little closer, and thought of pushing the ground. Also there are many factors that make a workout great, but I think that Gamedog's recipe certainly helped.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonidasfromSparta View Post
    Finally, thank God a great workout!
    10/05/2010

Squat (5x3)
    Bench (5x3)
    172 (PR)
    Deadlift (5x1)
    265 (PR)

Squats were done ATG, and I finally BOUNCED of the bottom. The Bench and Deads were done fast and easy. This is one of those GOOD days, when PRs come like nothing. Thank GOD. On the deads I kept my feet a little closer, and thought of pushing the ground. Also there are many factors that make a workout great, but I think that Gamedog's recipe certainly helped.
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! That's how we do it son!! EXCELLENT WORK!!! Seriously, once you get enough quality protein each day, and you get enough of the right kind of fats, you recover, grow, and crush PR's for as long as you can maintain the streak. Olives (and extra-virgin olive oil of course) and healthy nuts like pistachios and almonds should be should be staples in our diets. I know they work for me. And the lean beef (or goat/lamb if you can't get a-hold of good beef) is awesome because it packs a great protein whallop per serving. I prefer it over chicken for that fact. Keep up the eating, and eat enough to fuel the effort and recovery plus some growth. And remember the simple rules:

1. (Good) Carbohydrates fuel good workouts.
    2. Protein is used to repair tissue and make new tissue
    3. (Healthy) Fats fuel recovery from workouts.

Keep it up!

LOL GOD DAMN IT I AM SO FUCKING PROUD OF YOU RIGHT NOW!!!:-)!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gamedog View Post
    Now THAT'S what I'm talking about! That's how we do it son!! EXCELLENT WORK!!! Seriously, once you get enough quality protein each day, and you get enough of the right kind of fats, you recover, grow, and crush PR's for as long as you can maintain the streak. Olives (and extra-virgin olive oil of course) and healthy nuts like pistachios and almonds should be should be staples in our diets. I know they work for me. And the lean beef (or goat/lamb if you can't get a-hold of good beef) is awesome because it packs a great protein whallop per serving. I prefer it over chicken for that fact. Keep up the eating, and eat enough to fuel the effort and recovery plus some growth. And remember the simple rules:

1. (Good) Carbohydrates fuel good workouts.
    2. Protein is used to repair tissue and make new tissue
    3. (Healthy) Fats fuel recovery from workouts.

Keep it up!

LOL GOD DAMN IT I AM SO FUCKING PROUD OF YOU RIGHT NOW!!!:-)!!!!
    Thank you buddy, I'm honored to have a friend like you!

I've been absent from the forums b/c I went to a wedding out of the country, so I lost 2 workouts. Anyway Monday's workout went like this:
    10/11/2010

Light Day
    Squat (5x2)
    Bench (5x3)
    174.25x(5+4+4)
    Power Clean (3x5)
    94.5 (PR)

This was a mixed day, the Bench didn't go up on the last reps, but I hope it will be done the next workout. I'm happy for the P.Clean though!
    During the days I was absent, I've been eating meat like a mofo, the problem is that I've only been eating meat. Bacon and lamb were delicious in Kosovo (that's where the wedding was), so I really enjoyed it, plus we had a very good time.
    Yesterday also was preaching day. There were a couple of young boys, who have come to the gym a month ago, doing bicep curls and 4 (I literally mean four) exercises for the chest, and 3 for biceps. I demonstrated them the deadlift and the squat, and was telling them they've got to eat a lot. They are seriously underweight, and guess what they told me: they were afraid they wouldn't have a flat stomach anymore! I know, our society overrates the "core" and that is still the trend, but to be honest if somebody bigger and stronger than me would have suggested that a couple of years ago, I would have listened more carefully.

I've been absent from the forums b/c I went to a wedding out of the country, so I lost 2 workouts. Anyway Monday's workout went like this:
    10/11/2010

Light Day
    Squat (5x2)
    Bench (5x3)
    174.25x(5+4+4)
    Power Clean (3x5)
    94.5 (PR)

This was a mixed day, the Bench didn't go up on the last reps, but I hope it will be done the next workout. I'm happy for the P.Clean though!
    During the days I was absent, I've been eating meat like a mofo, the problem is that I've only been eating meat. Bacon and lamb were delicious in Kosovo (that's where the wedding was), so I really enjoyed it, plus we had a very good time.
    Yesterday also was preaching day. There were a couple of young boys, who have come to the gym a month ago, doing bicep curls and 4 (I literally mean four) exercises for the chest, and 3 for biceps. I demonstrated them the deadlift and the squat, and was telling them they've got to eat a lot. They are seriously underweight, and guess what they told me: they were afraid they wouldn't have a flat stomach anymore! I know, our society overrates the "core" and that is still the trend, but to be honest if somebody bigger and stronger than me would have suggested that a couple of years ago, I would have listened more carefully.
    You know what to do. Beat one of them to death with a dumbbell, screaming that you hate skinny kids with a core obsession. Then ask the remaining one if he'd like to reconsider.

You know it makes sense...

Quote Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
    You know what to do. Beat one of them to death with a dumbbell, screaming that you hate skinny kids with a core obsession. Then ask the remaining one if he'd like to reconsider.

You know it makes sense...
    LOL Yeah buddy, that's probably the only approach that would work!
    The problem is that this misconceptions are widespread. I see objectives in the program they have: "Larger shoulders and a six-pack" - literally, I'm not making this up, it was actually written there! So I don't know, it seems to me like a lost battle, against the media, magazines the internet, personal trainers, I mean everybody. But I'm still fighting this war man. Why? Cause years ago, I was training like a bodybuilder cutting at a weight of 132, following a stupid article and program from a well known magazine! And that meant losing time and energy, and strength and muscle, which happened b/c I didn't know about SS, and nobody told me anything.

LOL Yeah buddy, that's probably the only approach that would work!
    The problem is that this misconceptions are widespread. I see objectives in the program they have: "Larger shoulders and a six-pack" - literally, I'm not making this up, it was actually written there! So I don't know, it seems to me like a lost battle, against the media, magazines the internet, personal trainers, I mean everybody. But I'm still fighting this war man. Why? Cause years ago, I was training like a bodybuilder cutting at a weight of 132, following a stupid article and program from a well known magazine! And that meant losing time and energy, and strength and muscle, which happened b/c I didn't know about SS, and nobody told me anything.
    I've got the same problem. The 5-lift SS program (plus maybe dips and pullups) works. It REALLY works. I want to tell people. But if I'm spending time yapping like a missionary to the bar-barians from the Church of Rip, I'm wasting time from my own workout. Sometimes, I get sucked in, which is why I put my workout on the stop-watch, but generally, I have enough problems trying to get stronger to worry about waifs and strays in the weight room.

The one thing I've sworn to myself is to never tell anyone I haven't seen in the squat rack that they should start squatting. There's only one squat rack, and I don't need some muppet thinking he can block it for me.

starting strength coach development program
    10/11/2010

Light Day
    Squat (5x2)
    Bench (5x3)
    174.25x(5+4+4)
    Power Clean (3x5)
    94.5 (PR)

You had a good light day, dispite the bb-split naysayers LOL Nice PR power-clean man! And I'm glad you made it back from your trip to the wedding safely as well :-)

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast