starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tinkering with the pulls

Default Tinkering with the pulls

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    SS LP since May, this log is started bc I've recently had to tinker with the pulls as

1) 5x3 PC hit a wall hard due to form issues leading to occasional wrist pain
    2) DL twice a week stopped being doable for me
    3) I added 3x5 weighted chins

A month or so back I altered the pulling lifts such that:

Monday: 5x3 PC +5 lbs weekly; 3x5 weighted chins +1.25
    Wed.: 1x5 DL +10 weekly
    Friday: 5x4 PC at 135-155 lbs. (for form practice); 3x5 weighted chins +1.25

I figure someone else possibly might run into the same thing in their progressions, and may benefit from seeing if/how this plan works.

last achieved LP lifts were 330/ 230/ 165/ 425/ 200, chins +35, bw ~215.
    same lifts on eve of programming switch: 305/ 210/ 147.5/ 375/ 185

fwiw: Reset sqaut after 315 in late July, I feel a second reset coming within the next month. Probably a first DL reset in the next couple weeks. Presses also definitely will be reset in week, possibly two.

Monday 8/23

SQ - 335 - 3x5 -felt tired but all sets done
    Bench - 232.5 - 3x5 -didn't feel extremely hard but muscles felt it after
    PC - 205 - 5x3 -got it, but rested a lot (~5 mins) in between each set. No new pain but these seemed to aggravate a little left elbow pain I've gotten from squatting very recently
    Chins +35 3x5

I was worried about PC today as I got crappy sleep last night. I generally worry more about the tail end of my workouts following bad recovery; nailing PC was a bit of a surprise. Form is definitely still the issue, as I felt my third and fourth PC sets went up easier than the first.

Wednesday 8/25

SQ - 340 - 3x5 -tough, really bad 15th rep.
    Press - 167.5 - 4(f)/5/3 - a couple wacky de-racks cost at least rep on the first set, but the full 15 would still have been iffy.
    DL - 435 1x5 -got it, but very tough even with chalk.

I felt as though recovery was good in recent days, I think I'll reset both the press and DL at next opportunities. Squats looming too, goal is to leave it all out on Fri, take advantage of the weekend rest and shoot for 350/355 next week before dropping.

DL was not easy. I don't really trust myself to consciously cut short a DL set between reps. Will probably drop to ~375, 1-2 jumps by 20 to hit 435 again in a month or so.

All these resets, I better keep PCing and chinning or I might lose some strength!

Friday 8/27

SQ - 345 - 3x5 -easy pushing, widened grip to make first two sets almost pain free for the elbow. That went to hell on the third set, where my left hand ended up pushing while right was fine. Mucho pain.
    BP - 235 - 3x5- hard
    PC - 135/145 sets of 3s and 4s, probably 20-25 reps.-I think I need to work on bar path especially.
    chins +36.25 3x5-some bodyweight too, all chins done super fast as gym closed, good riddance to summer hours

350 should go off well on Monday after the extra rest, need to get the grip right. Will probably reset press low with quick build up. May or may not go for 210 PC, it will probably come down to how SQ go.

Monday 8/30

SQ - 350 - 3x5 -elbow pain was minimal. Not too tough. Wobbled forward a couple of times, esp. on a weird final rep.
    Press - 140 - 3x5
    PC - 155 5x3 - - 210 would have been doubtful and a bitch to recover from
    chins bw 3x8

355 and 237.5 or bust on Wednesday along with a throughaway reset DL. Press PC and chins were all done lighter to try and maximize success on Wed. still focusing on bar path on PC, still really form limited, as some reps just zip up to shoulders w/o much effort at all while a few may even require arm pulls.

Wednesday 9/1

SQ - 355 - 3x5 -elbow pain came in second set and was bad. Some wobbling, didn't like my 15th rep again.
    BP- 237.5 - 5/5/4(f) - a little rushed in the gym, also waited to long before last rep.
    DL- 375 - 1x5 - - easy, hardest part of DL was the squats!

I was pissed about missing the BP, and may try again Monday, but I knew this was coming, anyway it's only the bench. Sleep has been very shitty past 2-3 nights, gotta rest up good after this. May be able to do 360 on Fri and if so, 365 on Monday. I actually do care about my squat, hopefully I can pull that off.

Friday 9/3

SQ - 290 - 3x5 -bumped down after rough last few days. No way 360 was gonna get done today. elbow pain was there, not too bad. Tried a belt for the first time. Should be back up in 2-3 weeks.
    Press - 150 - 3x5
    PC - 155/165 - 5x4 - 210 attempt on Monday
    chins +38.75 3x5 - also some bodyweight pullups after

Chins the only PR today! Squat would have been nice, but really out of the question. Not the worst thing in the world either, as I'm hoping to get a nice windsurfing day with Earl winds tomorrow-all the better if I can feel my legs.

Monday 9/6

PC - 210 - 5x3 - Got it but this sucked, elbows and hands hurt after.
    SQ - 305 - 3x5 -Belt still weird, I need to think about getting a good breath between reps now and feel like I'm coming too far forward with too vertical a back, no (additional) elbow pain today though
    BP - 205 - 3x5 - reset, will pass 235 by end of month.
    chins bw ~30 - didn't weight these b/c elbows bad

Another 1 PR day, this time PC. Oh well, that's one more than I'll do my next wkout. Was in gym forever today, resting up to 5 mins. between PC sets.

Wednesday 9/8

SQ - 320 - 3x5 - belt still makes this lift feel weird. I think I'm exactly in the middle between two settings. Really easy on back but still feel I'm coming forward.
    Press - 157.5 - 3x5 - easy, should hit PR in 2 weeks
    DL - 395 - 1x5 - prob suffered a little from PC on Mon., but not hard.

Elbows are fine from squats, shoulders becoming more flexible. I'll be happy if I can get rid of that pain, and get comfy squatting in the belt, by the time I hit 360.

Chins the only PR today! Squat would have been nice, but really out of the question. Not the worst thing in the world either, as I'm hoping to get a nice windsurfing day with Earl winds tomorrow-all the better if I can feel my legs.

starting strength coach development program
    Saturday 9/11

SQ - 330 - 3x5 - absolutely NO elbow pain, not one iota!
    BP - 215 - 3x5
    PC - 135 up to 175 x2s - prob 24-30 reps total
    chins - +40 - 3x5

Got too drunk on Thurs, so had to take my lifting "weekend" early. Probably will try to get back on MWF next week. Looks like I got the elbow fixed, the belt I still don't know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast