starting strength gym
Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 120 days of Linear Progress

Default Day #54

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Warming up for squats didn't go so well but went ahead anyway. On the first rep of workset #1 I realised it wasn't happening, so racked it. Then realised I'd put the wrong plates on and instead of 137.5 I actually had 145 on the bar. Shit. So accidentally squatted 3 plates today. Dropped it back to 137.5 on set #2 and only got 2 reps. Maybe I should have taken a longer warmup after the first set.

Will try again tomorrow, today wasn't my day.
    Last edited by msingh; 10-21-2010 at 08:20 AM.

I thought you said you were fat?

Congrats on putting up 3 plates. Not the cleanest rep, but who says that accidental PR's should be?

Thanks maz, nope not anymore. I don't think i've been eating enough over the last month so been slowly losing weight. If i slept better it'd be even more pronounced but that's not gonna happen. How's training going for you?

Going to a gym with my friend for fun. Ive been drinking so wont try a normal workout, thinking of doing DE bench with dbs like sloejow described before. 3x9 db press with 40-50kg. Excited because i havent been to a gym for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by msingh View Post
    How's training going for you?
    I got bored so I'm trying a cycle of Pavel's bear. I started the deadlift too heavy so today I'm adjusting that weight for my second session. It is a pretty short-and-sweet workout that wrecks my chest/shoulders/upperback - exactly where I need to beef up. Should be brutal and fun for the next 3-5 weeks.

That sounds wonderful. Pavel's programs are pretty interesting, i'd like to try a few of them once i've finally rinsed LP thoroughly. What's bear again? DL and press only? Hope you make some nice gains out of them, and if you do let me know because I need meat on my upper back more than anyone else -- i have the back of a woman. Ok back in a bit my mate is here.

It is outlined in his book (I don't own it, so I'm going based on what I've read) as a deadlift and side-press program, but using doing DL and BP.
    DL start weightx5, wait 5 min, deadlift 90%x5 wait 1 minute, deadlift 80% for as many sets of 5 as you can handle on a 1-minute rest time.
    Repeat the same protocol with bench. I started with 300lb deadlift and I only got 4sets+3 of the light weight so I am going to try 250 instead. I benched 115 start weight and i got 13 sets of light weight, which is perfect. Shooting for 10-15 sets.

Brutal.

Default Day #58

Squat
    1x5, 1x2 137.5 (PR)
    1x1 135

Bench
    3,3,2,3,2,2 85 kg (PR)

Chins
    3x10 orange
    2x5 yellow

I wanted to improve my form and i'd watched carefully a video on the form check forum where someone suggested the poster was initiating the squat by breaking at the hips and that he should break at knees first (?!). Now i thought maybe that's what i'm doing wrong? So i went and tried to squat breaking knees first. This was a retarded piece of fucking advice and now my knee hurts. It was also really hard to squat in this retarded manner and that's why i only got 1 set of 5 and then 2 and 1. So next workout i'll either drop to 135 and get it with good form, or attempt 137.5 again.

Bench, yes LP is over for me. But i've only got 2 weeks left before i take a diet break so i'll just try to squeeze my numbers up towards 90 as much as possible.

Yeah, you need to break at the hips first. Good job at getting to 300#.

starting strength coach development program
    By LP being over for bench I assume you mean novice LP? You could still make weekly LP via a TM style template like I mentioned previously (Day 1 5x5/Day 2 Press/Day 3 Intensity).

And yes, breaking at the knees first is some of the worst advice I could imagine a person giving on the squat.

Page 13 of 23 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast