Thread: Laughing Buddha journal

Default Laughing Buddha journal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Male
    ht: 5'10"
    wt: 323
    BF: YES, look like a Laughing Buddha, and that ain't funny!

My work and life have been pretty sedentary. My weight has been on a linear progression since I quit smoking years ago. It's time to quit being fat and tired. I don't think that walking and dieting are going to get me the results I want, so I'm starting SS. I like it because I can understand it and I don't like the machines.

Started 8/14/2010

Last two workouts

8/31/2010

squat: 185x3x5
    press: 110x3x5
    bb row: 125x3x5

9/2/2010
    squat: 195x3x5
    bench press: 145x3x5
    deadlift: 175x1x5

Going to be missing the next two workouts due to traveling over the holiday. I'll start back up at the last weights used and progress from there. I'm going to work on learning the PC and work on figuring out my diet after the holiday too. Thinking about signing up for the 9/25 SS training camp so I can get some instruction on the squat and deadlift, I know I could use it.
    Last edited by psc15771; 09-03-2010 at 12:54 AM.

Welcome Psc. Nice starting numbers. Do you have the book yet?

Make sure you do some forum searching on what heavier guys can expect from the program. There's a lot of good stuff here.

Aspiring buddha here at 5'10" and 265.

Thanks, geoff. Yes, I have the book. I am reading through it again, trying to work on performing the lifts properly. Any suggestions on keywords to use in the search. Tried "obese" last night and got some good info and some Rip wisdom.

That's a solid starting weight for a fella carrying a heap of extra bodyweight. Nice job, man. That kind of strength will net you some serious goal-crushing. You drop 50lbs and put it on the squat bar.

Are you able to reach depth okay?

here's kind of a starter list of threads in Mark's Q&A. my takeaways are 1) ketogenic diets are probably most effective for very heavy guys and you should be able to make progress on this for several months at least 2) you may not see dramatic weight loss in the first few months but you should see your pants fitting better while your squat soars (your body is recomposing itsself 3) You need to stay away from the lifestyle that got you to this weight in the first place--ie, not training and bad eating. The training part is taken care of by you doing the program, but you'll need to watch the diet. diet high in refined sugars and starches don't do us heavy guys any favors (see #1). But any guy with the willpower to quit smoking can also do this too.

Best of luck and I look forward to following your progress.

http://startingstrength.com/resource...ght=overweight

http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf
    Last edited by misspelledgeoff; 09-03-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Oh and what part of TX are you from?

Lewisville

I think I'm doing okay on depth, but I don't really know. Rereading SS to get the info.

If I don't donate to the highway funds this weekend I think I've talked myself into going to the training camp.

thanks for the threads, geoff

starting strength coach development program
    9/8/2010
    squat: 200x3x5
    press: 115x3x5
    bb row: dropped
    power clean: 95x1x5, 115x1x3 , 115x1x5

I've dropped the bb row and am going to do the program with power cleans. Didn't have any issue with the weight, although I'm sure my form was terrible. The power cleans were more of an aerobic exercise than I was expecting. I'm planning on staying at 115 next time and trying to finish all 3 sets of 5 with better form.

Waiting on my SS DVD to arrive. Not paying too much attention to diet this week. Researching Paleo and planning on implementing a more Paleo, Dr. Bernstein type diet next week.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast