starting strength gym
Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Training Between a Rock and a Hard Place.

Minnesota Raised, Live in California now.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    An update on progress:

after 3 months of strict SS I've gained 25 pounds, gone from 19% BF to 17% and my lifts look like this with only one stall in BP and OHP:

weight 205>230

Squat 225>345 5RM
    DL 265>385 (highest 1rm so far)
    BP 215>270 5RM
    OHP 125>205 (highest 1RM attempt so far)
    Power Clean 135>195 3RM

One stall on OHP and BP so far, but I worked through them. Planning on TM next. The squat goal I stated in my first post of 350 will be met monday unless God strikes me down, so I need some new goals:

Squat: 405
    Deadlift: 500
    Bench:315

Somewhere around a 1200 total...

OHP: 225
    Power Clean:225
    100 consecutive reps on my Susan Sommers thighmaster...

Amazing job man.

However, without being too contentious, how confident are you on those body composition calculations? I just ask as it would seem you gained 2lbs/week of pure muscle, while losing fat, while already having weightlifting experience, at age 28.

If that is the case then I'll repeat: Amazing. Fucking. Job.

Oh man, my mnistake, that's using the Marine Corps neck/waist taping method...completly worthless, but it's the only method that matters to me. I've gained around 2.5 inches on my neck and my waist is still around the same as I started. Trust me, I still have some fat around the middle. Essentially, I'm now WAYYYY over my Marine Corps weight limit, but technically in better shape than when i started due to their crappy taping methods. That's their fault for being institutionally lazy though when it comes to categorizing everybody under one standard.

I plan on buying a caliper and learning how to use it in the future for a better idea of where my BF is.

Quote Originally Posted by John2336 View Post
    Oh man, my mnistake, that's using the Marine Corps neck/waist taping method...completly worthless, but it's the only method that matters to me. I've gained around 2.5 inches on my neck and my waist is still around the same as I started. Trust me, I still have some fat around the middle. Essentially, I'm now WAYYYY over my Marine Corps weight limit, but technically in better shape than when i started due to their crappy taping methods. That's their fault for being institutionally lazy though when it comes to categorizing everybody under one standard.

I plan on buying a caliper and learning how to use it in the future for a better idea of where my BF is.
    Fair enough, if they are going to use an inaccurate method you may as well take advantage of it! Amazing strength gains nonetheless, so I hope I don't come accross as trying to be a downer or the like. Your current bench press weight is my *goal* squat weight right now haha. Congrats.

No dude, thanks for pointing that out, I needed to clarify. I've depended on the Marine Corps crappy taping method for years now, so it's what matters to me. I do need a more accurate idea of where i stand though, so maybe I should buy a set of calipers sooner than later. i think the gyms on base offer the service for free as well. Maybe I'm just afraid of what they'll tell me. lol.

Thanks for posting man.

Squats (350)
    3x5

OHP(182.5) Fail

1x5
    1x4 (5th rep an unintentional push press.)
    1x4 (5th rep an intentional Push press.)

Power Cleans (200) Epic Fail
    (Set X Reps)
    2x3
    1x2 3rd rep a high pull
    1x1 last two reps high pulls.
    1x2 3rd rep a high pull

Squats were fine once again. I narrowed my stance a bit and felt a bit more stable in the hole. Thanks to everyone for the advice in my posted video.

The Press is just getting heavy, and I'm not surprised i'm stalling. I'll give it another go on Friday. In fact the pressing movements are started to add up, and my shoulders are not recovering fully between workouts. I may make wednesday a full light day for all three movements... but in that case I might as well switch to TM now instead of after my squats stall.

I altered my technique today on power cleans. It was brought to my attention that I wasn't putting my shoulder blades far enough over the bar. I did today, and while my warm up felt much more smooth (the weights moved up in a much straighter line than normal) my strength felt absent on the work sets. I also had to ruch all five sets into 15 minutes before the gym closed for cleaning, so conditions weren't optimal. I'll give it the max of three tries before a reset. Either way, I didn't feel like such a douche after finishing with the high pulls. Feel like I got some work in still.

Any opinions from you all on whether it'd be better to just switch to TM now? My squats and DL's havent stalled yet. Everything else is starting to get into legitimate 5RM/3RM territory. I might be able to put together a hybrid SS/TM that will allow day to day progress on Squats and wekkly progress for everything else still.

Allright, I'm considering bumping my squat increases up from 5 pounds to 10 pounds (Monday/Friday) and my deadlift jumps from 10 pounds to 15 pounds (wenesdays)

The logic to me behind this is to reach my stalling point sooner to bring LP to a close. I figure i might benefit from the weekly progression and reduced volume offered by the TM.

Any opinions from you guys on this would be appreciated.

Allright, I'm considering bumping my squat increases up from 5 pounds to 10 pounds (Monday/Friday) and my deadlift jumps from 10 pounds to 15 pounds (wenesdays)

The logic to me behind this is to reach my stalling point sooner to bring LP to a close. I figure i might benefit from the weekly progression and reduced volume offered by the TM.

Any opinions from you guys on this would be appreciated.
    Dont.
    keep milking LP as long as something is showing improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by 250orBust View Post
    Dont.
    keep milking LP as long as something is showing improvement.

Man, I know you're totally right... I'm just really wanting to move onto a program with some 1, 2, and 3RM work so I'm getting a better idea of where I should be at for my meet. I'm still 3 months out so I'm sure that i'm thinking this through entirely way maore than necessary.

starting strength coach development program
    Man, I know you're totally right... I'm just really wanting to move onto a program with some 1, 2, and 3RM work so I'm getting a better idea of where I should be at for my meet. I'm still 3 months out so I'm sure that i'm thinking this through entirely way maore than necessary.
    You can still do that, just rotate them into your programming. for the first week do a 5 rm in one lift per workout, then after youve cycled through all the lifts do a 3rm per workout, ect, ect.

Page 11 of 36 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast