starting strength gym

Thread: Peter's Log: A Summer on Starting Strength

Default Peter's Log: A Summer on Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi guys,
    I have completed my first week on the Onus Wunsler version of SS. Having done both the original program and the Onus Wunsler version before, I prefer the latter and have chosen to implement it this summer. The details:

Background:
    I have been lifting weights for approximately 2 year, but it wasn't until I started with SS about 6-7 months ago that I got on a decent program and made some gains. I got my squat to 230 lb (3x5), press to 100 lb (3x5), power clean to 135 lb (5x3), bench to 145 lb (3x5), and deadlift to 265lb (1x5). During this period my weight went from 140lb to 155lb.
    As an engineering student, I go through stretches where I'm so busy and stressed from school that I have a problem gaining strength despite the fact that I'm eating enough. I haven't figured out how to solve this problem yet (school takes priority of course). For the last couple of months I have been losing strength and weight while lifting sporadically (and not eating or sleeping enough). I'm now back to 140ish. School is not a problem right now though because it's summer and I'm not taking classes. Time to get strong dammit!

Goal: By the end of the summer (10-12 weeks or so) I would like to be able to lift: Squat=280lb, Press=130lb, Deadlift=300lb, Bench=180, Power Clean=165. Regardless of whether or not I reach these numbers, my slightly longer term goal is to get all the way through linear progress. Beyond that I'm not sure which direction I would like to take, but I think we can all agree that the first step is reaching the intermediate level.

Starting Stats:
    Height:5'7"
    Weight: 142lb
    Squat: 180 lb
    Bench: 130 lb
    Press: 80 lb
    Deadlift: 215 lb
    Power Clean: 115 lb

The program:
    Switch workout every other day: ABABA style done Mon/Wed/Fri
    Workout A:
    Squat 3x5
    Press 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5/Power Clean 5x2 (alternate these)

Workout B:
    Squat 3x5
    Bench3x5
    Back Extension 3x10-20
    Chin Ups 3xfail

In addition to this I plan to do 3 sets of Ab work on the first and last workout of each week (make fun of me if you like but I don't think it will hurt the core lifts). I also plan on running 1-2 miles on Saturday just to get a tiny cardio benefit without messing up my leg recovery. Lastly, I will do Defranco's "agile eight" each day for mobility and recovery.

Diet: My diet is fairly healthy: I really try to avoid anything with lots of sugar and crap in it. I'll be sure to get enough protein. I don't foresee diet being a problem.

Random Notes:
    1. I know of one week of vacation where I won't have access to a gym, and several Fridays workouts that will have to be missed.
    2. Feel free to post in this training log: it will make me feel like somebody is actually reading it and will keep me motivated.
    3. Thank you if you actually read this long winded post.

Week 1 is as follows:

MONDAY
    Squat: 180lb 3x5
    Press: 80lb 3x5
    Deadlift: 215lb 1x5
    3 sets abs

WEDNESDAY
    Squat: 185lb 3x5
    Bench: 130lb 3x5
    Back Extensions: 25lb 3x14
    Chin Ups: 10-10-8

FRIDAY
    Squat: 190 3x5
    Press: 85lb 3x5
    Power Clean: 115lb 5x3
    3 sets abs

Everything went smoothly. Not much to comment on except for the deadlift felt heavy. I think my form was okay, but the deadlift was the most difficult of the lifts this week by a long shot.
    Last edited by pushPeterPUSH; 06-18-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Week 2:

MONDAY
    Squat: 195lb 3x5
    Bench: 130lb 3x5
    Back Extensions: 25lb 3x17
    Chin Ups: 10-10-9

Squats felt a little heavier than I would have liked for Monday of my second week, but I made it through okay. May be because I didn't get the best sleep over the weekend.

WEDNESDAY
    Squat: 200lb 3x5
    Press: 90lb 3x5
    Deadlift: 225lb 1x5
    My squat form got messed up on a few reps, in particular I started to "good morning" the last rep of the 2nd and 3rd sets. I'm going to repeat this squat weight next time in order to preserve form as I increase the weight. Press and deadlift felt good.

FRIDAY
    Squat: 200 3x5
    Bench: 140lb 4/5/4
    Back Extension: 2x19 25lb
    Chin Ups: 10/10/7

Today went pretty bad. My form on squats was good, but I really struggled to get the last rep of set 3. For some reason, Wednesday's workout gave me super sore shoulders that I was still feeling today. I have no idea why. This affected both by bench and my chin ups.

I'm starting to think I started out with too high of weights. I figured that since I was stronger in the past that I would gain strength quickly but that might not be the case. It turns out my initial sense that diet won't be a problem could be false, since I'm getting 8-9 hours of sleep each night. I'll step up the food intake and see how next week goes. Any input?

Quote Originally Posted by pushPeterPUSH View Post
    WEDNESDAY
    Squat: 200lb 3x5
    Press: 90lb 3x5
    Deadlift: 225lb 1x5
    My squat form got messed up on a few reps, in particular I started to "good morning" the last rep of the 2nd and 3rd sets. I'm going to repeat this squat weight next time in order to preserve form as I increase the weight. Press and deadlift felt good.

FRIDAY
    Squat: 200 3x5
    Bench: 140lb 4/5/4
    Back Extension: 2x19 25lb

Today went pretty bad. My form on squats was good, but I really struggled to get the last rep of set 3. For some reason, Wednesday's workout gave me super sore shoulders that I was still feeling today. I have no idea why. This affected both by bench and my chin ups.

I'm starting to think I started out with too high of weights. I figured that since I was stronger in the past that I would gain strength quickly but that might not be the case. It turns out my initial sense that diet won't be a problem could be false, since I'm getting 8-9 hours of sleep each night. I'll step up the food intake and see how next week goes. Any input?
    Upping food intake is good.

Along with food, the abs work and running is going to have an effect on your recovery ability. How about reducing to only doing abs work the day before the two-day break? With running, pace is significant factor. What is your mile time?

Thanks for the comment Slowjoe. I'll reduce the abs to once a week. Running is probably around an 8:30-9:00 min/mile pace: I find it to be a comfortable pace and as a former runner I think of the 1-2 miles as a short jaunt to get the blood flowing and stay loose. I wouldn't have guessed that this extra work would have an impact on my lifts, but I'll certainly eliminate it if need be. Do you recommend I do 205lb for my squat on Monday this next week or stay at 200? I'm confident I could get the 205 on Monday, but I'm not sure how the remainder of the week will feel.

Quote Originally Posted by pushPeterPUSH View Post
    Thanks for the comment Slowjoe. I'll reduce the abs to once a week. Running is probably around an 8:30-9:00 min/mile pace: I find it to be a comfortable pace and as a former runner I think of the 1-2 miles as a short jaunt to get the blood flowing and stay loose. I wouldn't have guessed that this extra work would have an impact on my lifts, but I'll certainly eliminate it if need be. Do you recommend I do 205lb for my squat on Monday this next week or stay at 200? I'm confident I could get the 205 on Monday, but I'm not sure how the remainder of the week will feel.
    Think of it like having a recovery budget. If your money runs out before you pay the rent, next week, you have to cut back on beer! For SS, lifting is rent, and running is beer. If you look at other people's logs, it's pretty common for them to have a bunch of extra stuff at the start that gets dropped as the going gets tougher.

Your log post says that form is good at 200, so the program says hit 205. When you miss a weight for three workouts running, go back to "miss - roughly 30lbs" and work back up.

Think of it like having a recovery budget. If your money runs out before you pay the rent, next week, you have to cut back on beer! For SS, lifting is rent, and running is beer. If you look at other people's logs, it's pretty common for them to have a bunch of extra stuff at the start that gets dropped as the going gets tougher.
    Makes sense. Your point was illustrated during yesterday's workout, where I stunk it up:

Week 3:
    MONDAY
    Squat: 205lb 5/4/4
    Press: 95lb 3x5
    Power Clean: 125lb 5x3

Squat didn't feel good. Press felt pretty solid, but I have a tendency to arch my back when the press weight gets heavy. I'm going to keep the weight the same for next workout since my back was too arched this time. Power clean felt good.

From now on I'm going to eliminate all extra work (abs and running). I'm going to keep the back extensions as that is part of the program, and I'm going to continue doing the foam rolling stuff.

starting strength coach development program
    WEDNESDAY
    Squat: 205lb 3x5
    Bench: 140lb 3x5
    Back Extension: 25lb 3x20

Surprisingly, everything felt good today.