starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stolpTDI's SS Log

Default stolpTDI's SS Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm getting back into lifting after a summer hiatus that started in May with a fractured kneecap and an aggravated meniscus tear (left knee). So ends my spectacular career in social soccer (the shit we do for women).

Old PR's, February 2010:
    Bench: 195lb
    Squat: 245lb
    Deadlift: 325lb
    Press: 135lb

Current Build: 5'10", 208lb, BF around 24% (my guess, will measure)
    BMR at program start: ~2500 cal based on lifestyle

Diet: Ignoring caloric intake and simply eating everything I can, paying attention to carb intake and focusing on eating clean. Some milk, not the full gallon. I'm starting to get sick of eating, which should mean I'm on the right track. Noticeable growth one week in.

All lifts 3x5 unless noted. Received SS over the weekend. Wow. This is the best lifting resource I have found. Strict form control is going to be important as I rehab my knee and add weight. I had to modify all my lifts and will need to reduce weight and focus on form as I get stronger.

First Workout: 9/08/10
    Squat: 95lb
    Bench: 95lb
    Assisted pull-ups: 3xfailure, 80lb
    Comments: severe soreness after this workout, was unable to straighten arms for a couple of days. Knee has some slight pain at bottom of squat.

Second Workout: 9/10/10
    Squat: 105lb
    Press: 75lb
    Deadlift: 135lb
    Comments: arm soreness going away, slight knee pain in deadlift, none in squat.

Third Workout: 9/13/10
    Squat: 95lb front squat
    Bench: 135lb
    Assisted Chin-up: 3xfailure, 65lb
    Comments: Due to lack of power and squat racks, will not be returning to this gym. Also time to get a log so I don't fuck up the progression again.

Fourth Workout: 9/15/10
    Squat: 95lb
    Press: 85lb
    Assisted Pull-up: 3xfailure, 80lb
    Power Clean drills with bar.
    Comments: Received SS over the weekend. Made major modifications to my squat. Was doing high-bar, 3/4 squats. Full squats are more difficult. No knee pain.

Fifth Workout: 9/17/10

Squat: 135lb
    Bench: 135lb
    Deadlift: 155lb

Comments: Warmed up with squat drills and felt great - everything was super light so I went with 135 to catch up the squat. The new form feels different but more powerful. Focused on bench press technique and stayed at the previous workout's weight: I don't want to go backwards, but I know I overshot so I'll start the 5lb additions next week and watch for a stall. Deadlift feels pretty good as the back is getting stronger.

Weighed in at 213. Based on what I'm reading on these forums, and my overall feeling of chubbiness, I'm making the switch to skim milk and lowering my carb intake. Also added whey as a protein source.

Workout Six: 9/20/10

Squat: 155lb
    Press: 90lb
    Chins: 3xfailure

Comments: need to work on hamstring flexibility and press form.

Workout Seven: 9/22/10

Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 145lb
    Deadlift: 175lb

Comments: Two weeks in and things are going pretty well. I've noticed that I appear to have more strength in my right leg than left as the bar comes up unevenly during my squats. I am not sure how best to correct this other than to focus on keeping the bar parallel to the floor as I lift? I don't want to perpetuate an imbalance.

Workout Eight: 9/25/10
    Missed yesterday while making Pumpkin Ale (making Barley Wine today ).

Squat: 185lb
    Press: 95lb
    Powerclean: 85lb

Weighed in today at 217, 9lb gain in two weeks. Not bad for a guy not eating to gain (removed milk, added whey shakes), only 2500-3000 cal per day.

Yup just focus on proper squat technique and the imbalance will take care of itself.

I saw one workout you specified front squats? Are you doing front, high bar, or low bar back squats?

Quote Originally Posted by stolpsTDI View Post
    Workout Seven: 9/22/10

Squat: 165lb
    Bench: 145lb
    Deadlift: 175lb

Comments: Two weeks in and things are going pretty well. I've noticed that I appear to have more strength in my right leg than left as the bar comes up unevenly during my squats. I am not sure how best to correct this other than to focus on keeping the bar parallel to the floor as I lift? I don't want to perpetuate an imbalance.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    Yup just focus on proper squat technique and the imbalance will take care of itself.

I saw one workout you specified front squats? Are you doing front, high bar, or low bar back squats?
    Low bar - I did not realize walking through the door that this particular gym did not have a rack, and I didn't feel like driving another 15 minutes that evening. Thanks for the feedback - it's getting less noticeable with each workout.

Workout Nine: 9/27/10

Squat: 195lb
    Bench Press: 155lb
    Deadlift: 195lb

Comments: felt like I rounded my back a little during the squats - I think it's a warm-up issue because it was rock solid during the DL set. Time to look more carefully at that part of the workout.

Workout Ten: 9/29/10

Squat: 205lb
    Press: 100lb
    Powerclean: 95lbs of total dogshit

Comments: I am really having trouble learning the powerclean movement so I'll probably continue to focus on technique development at lower weights for the time being. My press form is also falling apart; I'm going to re-read the section in the book, but I am having trouble getting my shoulders up and forward during the lift. I've got a broken collarbone that throws my geometry out of whack, maybe that's the issue? I also discovered that I'm shifting to the right as I come of from my squats. At least the bar is level, however.

starting strength coach development program
    Workout Eleven: 10/4/10

Missed last Friday's workout - life got in the way.

Squat: 215lb
    Bench Press: 165lb
    Power Clean: 100lb (moved since DL is getting heavier and Press takes less out of me)

Comments: Doing power cleans from the hang position and focusing on the shrug is really helping the movement feel right.
    Last edited by stolpsTDI; 10-09-2010 at 05:17 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast