starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Julie's SS log

Default Julie's SS log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi!

Yesterday I did my first SS workout! I've been doing a program called New Rules of Lifting for Women for about 2 months but I've decided to switch over to SS because I've realized that I want a program that is more oriented toward building strength. The New Rules program has a lot to offer and I'd recommend it if your primary goal is fat loss and general fitness. It's not a strength training program.

First, a note on the genetics I'm working with. I'm 28 years old, 5'2" and female, usually 120-125 pounds though lately it's sometimes up at 127-128. So around there somewhere. My bathroom scale says I'm about 22% bodyfat. I have a relatively stocky build - My ankles are 9 inches at the narrowest which is fairly thick for someone of my height and gender so I do have some things going for me when it comes to strength potential.

My first exposure to anything strength related was through rock climbing. I started climbing after college when I was 23 and I couldn't do a pull up. Took me about 1.5 years of climbing before I could do a full pull up. I've really enjoyed the strength gains from climbing, but my climbing progress plateaued about 2 years into climbing, never got much beyond beginner level, and now I mostly climb for social reasons.

When I was 25 I took a fall and hit the wall really hard and badly sprained my ankle. I couldn't walk on it normally for several weeks and had to take about a 6 month break from climbing. In the mean time, my friend who had been lifting on and off for years taught me a bunch of lifts (some with dumbbells, some machine stuff) so I did that for a few months. Once I was able to climb again I stopped lifting and went back to just climbing.

About a year ago I got tennis elbow so no climbing for me for several months. My boyfriend was doing SS at the time and was really excited about it so I read the squats section of the book and gave them a try. I learned the movement quickly and he gave me really helpful feedback so I started working up the weight. That was the only exercise I did from the program, the others hurt my elbow. I worked up to a body weight squat (125) fairly quickly which I felt pretty good about.

Right after I got my body weight squat I got my first lifting injury which was that one of my hip-flexors started hurting. It started hurting randomly on an evening walk around the neighborhood the day after I squatted and hurt pretty bad for a few weeks. A friend of ours who knows about these things gave me some active stretching exercises to help it, and also some glute activation exercises to correct the error in my technique that was causing the problem.

A few months went by - I started climbing again at some point and also did a yoga class for a few weeks. Dabbled in some lifting here and there but nothing serious.

On May 1st 2011 I went to my first proper lifting class. TomC led a squatting class at Crossfit Oakland. Awesome class! I learned a lot, one thing being that I wasn't getting full depth and that getting some squat shoes would likely fix the problem. I have since bought some and they're great and have indeed fixed that problem. For a few weeks prior to the class I built up to bodyweight squat again, no hip flexor problem this time.

After the class I was motivated to get into a more regular lifting routine but not sure what program to go for. The New Rules for Women program was recommended to me. I was excited about the fact that it was designed for women and spoke to some of my concerns and desires. Since the beginning of June I've been really consistent about doing my workouts 3 times per week. I switch up the days depending on other commitments, but always 3 times per week with 1-2 rest days between workouts.

From the New Rules program I learned a few things about my goals (link here http://forums.jpfitness.com/training...ining-log.html). First, I like the routine of working out but I want to be able to finish it in 1:30 max. Second, I like getting stronger so learning a lot of new exercises every few weeks is frustrating - spend too long learning the new movement and not enough time building strength. Same with reps - I'd rather do less reps and be able to increase the weight. Also, I don't mind gaining a bit of weight to get stronger. I am a typical girl in that I really don't like getting on the scale and seeing the weight go up. I think if I break the 130 threshold that will be hard for me (most I've ever weighed is 128) and I'll probably feel like a fatty. But if putting on a few pounds of mostly-muscle would allow me to lift more then I think I could make peace with that. Also, I've seen videos on the internets of some pretty skinny and attractive women lifting heavy so it may actually not be necessary for me to gain. Time will tell.

Getting close to the present...

Yesterday I went to another class by TomC. Totally awesome class on pulling - Deadlift and Power Cleans. In prep for this class I trained my deadlift a little. I had been training deadlift a few months ago in the New Rules program Phase I. At that time I attempted my single rep max and got 2 reps at 175. So after 2 months or so of not-deadlifting I deadlifted one day about 2 weeks before the class. Of course my ego got the better of me and I tried going up to 175 again. Bad move - I got my 2 reps but I also hurt my back and it's still giving me trouble. In the class I learned what I was doing wrong that probably caused the injury. First, my back is very flexible and my natural posture is slightly hyper-extended. So when I deadlift I need to actually flex my back slightly from what is my natural posture to get a flatter back and make sure I hold that position. Also, I was lowering the bar way too slowly causing added unnecessary stress on my back. Power Cleans were totally new so I learned a bunch about that movement too.

The class was very inspiring and confirmed for me that I want to get stronger, so I've started SS as of today!

My back is still injured - I'm pretty sure it's a muscle strain of some sort so not too worried about it, but I do want to give it time to heal before I push things too hard so I've started at lower weights so I can still increase weight for the first few weeks and hopefully in 2-3 weeks my back will be healed and I'll be working more challenging weights.

First workout!

9/5/2011

Workout A

Squat: 45*10; 55*8; 65*6; 75*5; 85*4; 95*3; 105*5; 105*5; 105*5
    Press: 28*10; 28*7; 33*5; 38*6; 45*5; 45*5; 45*5
    Pull ups: 5; 4; 4 (yesterday I did DL at TomC's class so swapped out Pull ups this time, will typically do DL. I used 135 to DL in the class.)

Default Workout B

Squat: 45*10; 60*7; 75*6; 95*3; 107.5*5; 107.5*5; 107.5*5
    Bench press: 45*10; 55*7; 60*5; 65*2; 70*5; 70*5; 70*5
    Deadlift: 65*5; 95*4; 115*3; 137.5*5

Default workout + climbing

Did workout number three today followed by doing some top rope climbing with a freind. Everything felt very doable, still working up the weight slowly to give my back time to heal. My back still has a sharp pain when I lean backwards, but I think it's less severe than it was a few weeks ago.

The squats feel a little funny in my knees on some reps. I think my knees cave in a bit sometime so still working on holding them out. Also not 100% sure what stance I like best - I was experimenting a bit with how turned out my toes should be, I think they aren't usually turned out enough.

Press felt good though I'd like to get someone to watch my bar path. Also my wrists got a little sore so will keep an eye on that.

DL was great - I feel much more confident with technique since the class. No back pain and I focused on staying tight and lowering fast.

Squat:
    Warmups -- 45*10; 60*8; 75*5; 90*3
    Work sets -- 110*5*3

Press:
    Warmups -- 28*10; 33*8; 38*4; 43*2
    Work sets -- 48*5*3

Deadlift:
    Warmups -- 45*10; 70*5; 95*4; 120*3
    Work sets -- 140*5

Hi Julie,

Good to see another climber out there! In my case, ex-climber since I just moved to Houston and there isn't a hill or rock to be seen within 200 miles.

Good luck with your injury

Did you still have the back strength to climb after deadlifting? Normal dogma would say technical training before strength...?

Porphyry

Good work, Julie. Welcome to it, and keep it up.

Thanks for the welcome Sully!

Porphry, sorry to hear that there's no climbing out in Houston. Any climbing gyms nearby at least? Interesting question about what order to go in with climbing vs. lifting. I was originally going to climb outdoors in the morning but we ended up favoring sleeping in and just climbing at the gym in the afternoon so the order was a little by chance this time. Both the lifting and climbing were relatively chill yesterday - I wasn't pushing myself too hard on either due to the injury. If I find myself wanting to do both on the same day when I'm further along with lifting I'll have to put more thought in it and I'll let you know how it works out. I think I'll probably favor lifting first bcs I have goals to improve with lifting whereas I just climb for fun so I don't mind dropping my level bcs I'm too tired from lifting.

It's great to see that your wife is also lifting! Always encouraging to hear that other women are trying the program. I look forward to seeing her progress too

Catching up on my sessions from earlier this week...

My workout Monday night felt really good. Everything felt good. My back got a bit sore afterward but not significantly.

Workout B: (9/12)

Squats:
    Warm up: 45*8; 60*6; 75*4; 95*2
    Work sets: 112.5*5*3

Bench press
    Warm up: 45*10; 50*8; 60*4; 65*3
    Work sets: 72.5*5*3

Deadlift
    Warm up: 45*10; 65*6; 90*5; 120*3
    Work sets: 142.5*5

Last night's workout was difficult. Since I started the progression again I've been having some discomfort in my left knee on the outer side of the back of my knee. Last night it became more painful. I played around with stance to see if I could find a position where it didn't hurt but no luck. Also foam rolled but that also didn't help. I have a few ideas for my knee including planning to read the squat section of the book again and also warm up more before starting to squat. May be related to my back pain as it's on the same side of my body. Last night I was mostly just really tired and bummed that I couldn't do my squats, but I did do the rest of the routine - press and DL both felt good.

Workout A (9/14)

Squat
    Warm up: bunch of reps at 45 and 65. Pain in left knee. Experimented with stance and foam rolling. Pain persisted so stopped.
    Work sets:

Press
    Warm up: 28*7; 33*5; 38*4; 43*3
    Work sets: 50*5*3

Deadlift
    Warm ups: 45*10; 65*4; 90*3; 120*2; 135*1
    Work sets: 145*5

Default relearning squats

My knee pain has been persistent since the session last week where it started to hurt. The first night it hurt I mostly felt disappointed and discouraged. But on Friday my boyfriend and I spent a significant amount of time studying what I was doing and troubleshooting. Looking at video was very instructive - that really helped it click for me that I was sitting back too much at the beginning of the squat and then pushing my knees too far forward beyond my knees at the bottom. Also I was caving my knees a bit at the bottom of the squat. We rigged up something that I would touch my knees on it if they went too far forward. Really helped! I'll keep working on the movement until my knee pain resolves itself. I'm also re-reading the squat section slowly and expect that I will learn some things that I didn't really absorb before.

9/15/2011
    Squats - worked on squats with low weight and no weight

Bench
    Warm up: 45*10; 50*5; 55*4; 65*2; 70*1
    Work sets: 75*5*3

Deadlift
    Warm up: 45*10; 65*4; 95*3; 115*3; 135*1
    Work sets: 147.5*5

9/19/2011
    Squats - worked on squats with low weight and no weight

Press
    Warm up: 28*7; 38*4; 43*3; 48*2
    Work sets: 52*5*3

Deadlift
    Warm up: 45*10; 65*4; 95*3; 115*3; 135*1
    Work sets: 150*5

9/21/2011

Squat
    Wood Dowel*6; 28*5; 38*3; 43*3; 48*4; 53*3; 53*5*3

Bench
    Warm up: 45*5*2; 55*4; 65*3
    Work sets: 77.5*5*3

Deadlift
    Warm up: 45*5; 75*4; 105*3; 135*2
    Work sets: 152.5*5

This workout was fun I felt the knee tweak when I was squatting but it was an awareness rather than pain. I think that my form has improved quite a bit from reading the book and also getting feedback from my bf who has studied the technique a lot - really helpful!
    A few helpful things that have stood out to me are -
    - Don't sit back too much -- should bend at the hips and knees evenly
    - Wiggle my toes to help me to keep my weight over my heals
    - Keep knees out

My back's getting better too - similar to my knee pain, it's still there but much less severe so I think it should be fully recovered soon as long as I keep good form for the deadlifts.

Bench finally was pretty hard today, but interestingly the first set was the hardest, the second two sets felt good. The equipment is kind of a pain though - it's made for people with longer arms than me. They just made some improvements to some equipment in the lifting area which is great to see - I'll put in a suggestion to make the rack more adjustable because in it's current state I think it's less safe for people with shorter arms.

All in all a very encouraging workout

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by julz937 View Post

It's great to see that your wife is also lifting! Always encouraging to hear that other women are trying the program. I look forward to seeing her progress too
    Julie - I was excited to find your log for the same reason! Glad to find another woman working on the program - I am excited to read your log!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast