starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JohannesG's SS log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    15/10:

Squats 3x5x145: Obviously these were easier than last workout. Still hard, but only once did I have a little bit of 'buttwink' and I felt happy with the rest of my form.

Press 1x5x75, 1x5x70, 1x5x70: Accidentally loaded the bar with 75, realized it after I barely managed to finish the first set. Surprised I managed to finish it, honestly, I guess I can go straight to 3x5x75 next workout.

Barbell rows 3x5x95: Decided to repeat my last workout to check on my form. I think I did much much better again. Put my chest up, squeezed my back tight and all of a sudden the rows felt like a breeze. Up up up in weight with these.

I feel like I could've done more this workout. I've been trying to get rid of my fear of belly fat, and it might be paying off. More food+more sleep=more strength. Who knew?

17/10:

90 minutes of soccer.

18/10:

I woke up much too early this morning and couldn't fall asleep again. Also had a bit of a nagging headache, but decided to go to the gym anyway. I switched shoes today as well. They're still basically sneakers with too much of a heel, but these are at least slightly thinner. Chuck Taylor's or actual weightlifting shoes are hard to find in my size in this city.

Squats 3x5x150: Focused on maintaining back tightness, and WOW does it make a difference. I had practically zero issues with butt-winking/good mornings out of the hole. I've also noticed it makes me go less deep, but I'm still well below parallel. It also seems to involve my quads much more. These seemed easy again. I mean, it's still heavy for me, but it feels like I've worked harder before.

Bench press 3x5x95: Took a wider grip this time and also focused on maintaining back tightness. With the wider grip these actually seem to work my chesticles. Same deal as squats basically, heavy, but feels like I've done harder.

Deadlift 1x5x180: By this time my headache was getting worse. I did my warmups mechanically and fast so I could get them over with. Head was aching too much to focus much on form as I did the workset, but I completed it and it didn't feel like my form was too bad. Try and pay more attention next time I guess.

20/10:

Felt terrible going into the gym today. In a bad mood because a gf woke me up at 5am.

Squats 3x5x155: Unfocused, form was shit, but I got up the weight.

Press 3x5x75: Stopped resting the weight on my shoulders in between every rep. Hmm, so much easier, who knew? It seems to actually involve my chest much more, instead of having my triceps fail every time. Tough to breathe right and check the rest of my form going so much faster though.

Barbell rows: 3x5x100: Good except for the last rep. Looked down as the weight was coming up and it just destroyed my form.

Mehhhhhhhhhhh, okay, forget about this workout and do better next time.

21/10:

Did my first session of BJJ, mostly did some interesting bodyweight exercises to teach us how the body moves most efficiently on the floor. I was worried I'd be exhausted for the lifts today, but I was't too tired. I think I'll be adding in BJJ 2x/week in between my lifting days.

22/10:

Squats 3x5x160: Easy, form was good for the most part.

Bench 3x5x100: Swerved a bit on the last rep of the last set. I have some weird shooting pain on the outside of my right wrist during the warmup sets. I adjusted my grip throughout and it seems to get better, but I should really try and shoot a video soon. I also tried tucking in my shoulder blades much more, but I have trouble keeping them locked in as I do the set. I need to get my hands on a video camera.

Deadlift 1x5x190: Walked away from this set thinking how I just keep crushing these 15-lbs increases. Then I realized I'd misloaded the bar. Hmm, well. This felt easy too. Back to 15-lbs more next workout.

24/10:

Soccer game.

25/10:

Squats 3x5x165: Weird how these felt so tough again all of a sudden. Got them up, but form wasn't great. I guess I didn't have a good recovery, not enough sleep last weekend etc.

Press 3x5x80: Struggled struggled on the last rep but got it up. I think I've got a decent groove on this now. Not sure I can just crush on to 3x5x85, but we'll see next week.

Barbell rows 3x5x105: These felt wrong. More like I'm jerking the weight up than a smooth pull. I think I'll do same weight next week to work on form.

26/10:

Second BJJ class. Absolutely crushing warm-up today. 30 minutes of various ground-walking exercises - crab walks, elbow walks, spider mans, gorilla walks... and no stopping. I was exhausted by the end of the warmup. Luckily the rest of the class was just practicing technique and I felt okay afterwards.

27/10:

Very tired from last night still going into the gym. Had a hard time sleeping too.

Squats 3x5x170: This has to be the hardest bunch of squats I've ever done. I actually somehow adjusted in the middle of my last rep so I could get it up. This can't be good.

Bench 3x5x105: Last rep wasn't pretty, but a combination of WIM and extra focus on technique made this happen.

Deadlift 1x5x205: Hardest set of deadlifts so far. I feel my grip starting to slip a bit and I'm having to reset between every rep because of these damn hex plates. I should have chalk next week at least.

29/10:

Again didn't have a good night's sleep. Went into the gym on about 5 hours and it showed.

Squats 175x5, 175x4, 165x5: Well, first time I've actually failed on squats. Thank god for safety pins, I guess. I wasn't even close to getting out of the hole on this one. I just blame the lack of sleep and the effects of the BJJ class in between my other lifts. I'm still going to try and keep taking BJJ, but if it keeps affecting me like this I'll cut it out soon.

Press 3x5x80: Didn't feel ike failing on two exercises today, so I repeated last workout. Surprisingly good form and performance given my squats.

Barbell rows 3x5x105: I did these without setting the weight on the floor every rep today. This turns it into a somewhat different exercise for, I end up using more hip extension. Still not happy with the form on these, I'm thinking about trying power cleans next week, small space in my gym be damned.

31/10:

Soccer game.

01/11:

Squats 3x5x170: Decided to backtrack a little bit here. I noticed that my knees are still tracking inwards a little bit on the harder reps. I tried focusing on keeping them out, and it made the reps seem all that much harder. Maybe it's because some muscle I never recruited is pretty weak? Maybe I should deload a bit and focus on form again.

Bench 3x5x110: Hrm, didn't like my form very much here. Think I cheated a little bit on the last rep by not going full ROM. I'll

Deadlift 1x5x215: Bodyweight/two wheels next workout! God these felt hard though. I most certainly did not have another one left. I even think my back rounded a little bit on the last rep. I think I'll try to go to another gym next workout, because I'm sick of these hex plates.

02/11:

90 minutes of BJJ class. 30 minute warm-up was less crushing this time. Not sure whether the coach took it easier or I'm getting used to it fast. Put a bit more effort/strength into the actual drills. My upper abs seem to be super sore after these classes every time.

03/11:

Squats 3x5x175: Felt good, my knees caved in a lot less.

Press 3x5x85: Failed on the last rep. Repeat next workout, then start microloading with my new microplates that just arrived today. Form felt very good though.

Barbell rows 3x5x105: Much better this week. Reset every rep on the floor. Much less hip extension. 107.5 or 110 next workout, can't decide yet.

starting strength coach development program
    04/11:

90 minutes of BJJ class. Warm-up was tough again. While doing drag-ups I noticed one of my lowest ribs seems to be bruised. Doesn't really bother me in general, but no idea where that came from.

05/11:

Squats 3x5x180: Narrowed my stance here a decent bit after watching a random youtube video about common problems in the squat. It certainly prevented me from going too deep, and in the warm-ups I could suddenly feel my hamstrings and glutes working in the squat. When I came to the workset that seemed to disappear. Just too heavy to concentrate on form while doing them. I had to psyche myself up for the last set, and form was pretty awful. Very bad knee cave in on the last rep.

Bench press 5x115, 4x115, 5x105: I had planned to microload these to 112.5, but I forgot my microplates today. Well, that goes to show me. First failure on bench, wasn't too dramatic as I just rolled it down to my thighs then got someone to lift it with me.

Deadlift 5x225: Or I guess it was more like 3x225 + 2x225. I felt my grip slipping after the 3rd rep and had to go dry my hands on a towel. A girlfriend was supposed to get me chalk, but no go so far. Hrm. Well at least it was bodyweight.

I feel a little bit stuck right now. I've had a failure on every single lift the past two weeks. I'm wondering whether it's due to a recovery deficit from the BJJ classes, or I'm trying to do too much, or what. I'm not doing GOMAD, but I still have a decent bit of chub around my waist and ass... you'd think that wouldn't be the problem.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast