Default 220 or Bust

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    9/25/10
    5'10" 165lbs
    27yrs old
    7% body fat
    Stopping Paleo diet, stopping CrossFit. Patellar Tendinitis in both knees and really bad in my left knee. I want to get to 220lbs and as strong as possible going through a beginner and intermediate strength progression. After that I will revert back to healthier eating to shed some body fat and get back into crossfit with focus on keeping my strength up. Also took a bunch of body measurements to see where I am growing. Hopefully my fucking knees will get better, god dammit! I will be starting with only the bar and going from there to hopefully give them YET ANOTHER chance to heal. I have tried two weeks rest ice stretching and ibuprofen a couple of times and the pain comes back after a week of working out.

MONDAY 10/5/10 175lbs
    45x3x5 Squat
    45x3x5 Bench Press
    45x1x5 Deadlift
    2x8 Dips (rings)
    Last edited by 220orBust; 10-06-2010 at 02:33 PM.

Welcome. Good luck. Did you really have to start at the bar? And is it acute or chronic tendinitis?

If you have tendinitis in both knees you will want to lift in shoes that have the lowest heel possible. High heels on shoes cause this and exacerbate it for those who already have it.

And Good luck in your endeavors.

Welcome aboard buddy!

I've never had a really BAD bout of the patellar tendinitis, but I have gotten sore knees from time to time because of being a 31 year-old who spent the better part of his adult years a sedentary lazy-ass. I invested in a nice pair of neoprense knee sleeves and buddy, let me tell you, they help a lot. Helps the knees get warm and stay warm. Warms them, and the associated fluid and connective tissue up and I don't have any complaints. I never get sore knees when I use them while squatting. So go pick up a pair and see if they, along with your icing/ib treatment helps you stay in the weight room and on the program.

Good luck!

If you haven't tried this, buy some "red hot". It causes localized inflammation which causes increased bloodflow in the area that you apply the cream to. It makes the area VERY hot but it takes away the pain. I have 2 very bad knees and the wife put me on this stuff since she has tendinitis in both knees due to the additional heel put on her oly lifting shoes.

It's $14 for a 1lbs jar. Alot of the lifters at Coffees use it and love it.

Welcome and good luck.

With tendinitis, I'd post squat and deadlift vid ASAP so that any form issues can be worked out.

Classic cause is excessive forward knee travel in the squat. Do you have the book?

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherIron View Post
    If you haven't tried this, buy some "red hot". It causes localized inflammation which causes increased bloodflow in the area that you apply the cream to. It makes the area VERY hot but it takes away the pain. I have 2 very bad knees and the wife put me on this stuff since she has tendinitis in both knees due to the additional heel put on her oly lifting shoes.

It's $14 for a 1lbs jar. Alot of the lifters at Coffees use it and love it.
    Do you apply right before training? I used A535 for a while but it wasnt quite doing it.

And for the OP I'll be following this. Body weight goals are fun.
    cool name

The tendinitis is in the chronic state.

I will look into this Red Hot.

I am pretty sure my form is nearly flawless, my shins stay damn near vertical when I squat. I have filmed myself squating from all angles and the only flaw I can find is that - when I film from directly behind my hips are moving closer to my right leg on the way up as an unconscious guarding of that left knee. I think the knee issues may be residual from the hell they went through in the military and from all the box jumps and other CrossFit stuff combined.

I got a pair of the RehBand Blues and they are life savers, the workouts are nearly painless when my knees are warm, just hurt like hell the rest of the day.

Yes it feels ridiculous lifting just the bar for starters, but if my knees can hold up and my legs can keep up with the progression I will be squating over 300 in 2 months.

Thank you all for the encouragement, I will post my body weight every Monday.
    Last edited by 220orBust; 10-06-2010 at 02:26 PM.

WEDNESDAY 10/6/10
    55x3x5 Squat
    45x3x5 Standing Military Press
    45x3x5 Power Cleans
    2x8 Chin-Ups
    1.5x3x5 Captain of Crush
    Last edited by 220orBust; 10-06-2010 at 02:32 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by 220orBust View Post
    I am pretty sure my form is nearly flawless, my shins stay damn near vertical when I squat.
    You just contradicted yourself. Please observe the cover of SS:BBT, you don't even need to open it.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast