starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally getting on the program

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    You could try curling your toes up. Lots of people do that as a cue to get the weight on their heels. You like the vibrams? My buddy bought some and he likes them. He always squatted in socks before.

Sorry to hear about your mother (although you said "a mother", so maybe you're just borrowing one). Good luck in the future and keep fighting.

Your GF can probably take that 5,3,3 at 125 and assume that she would have had 5,5,5 at her prescribed work weight and carry on as usual.

Agreed with MazdaMatt's training ADHD diagnosis. I'm personally a fan of going off program if there's a good reason, but for you and your girlfriend, you'll get better results if you just do the program correctly. That includes weightlifting shoes (if you can afford a home setup, you can get these), keeping a log (in real time!) so you don't forget what rep and set you're on (and also so you don't, I dunno, accidentally add 25 lbs to the bar when it should be 5), resisting the temptation to do extra sets, resisting the temptation to lift on days off (at least it sounds like you can get this one right), avoiding pyramid rep schemes. Too bad about the broken toe though, that one's unfortunate and not necessarily your fault. Also understandable that real life can be crazy, but gaining discipline with regards to your training is part of the deal.

We use withfit.com for tracking as well as this log, we also precalculate everything in an excel workbook that I transfer to a whiteboard along with what plates we need for each weight. The problem with her jumping weights came in when she questioned the pre-calculated weights, we don't go off program except to add Chins/pullups (and the onetime exception of the crossfit trainer). I think that we will start checking off the whiteboard between sets.
    Docs orders are "no running for 6 weeks" I told him what my program consists of and he added power cleans to the verboten list.

We (the GF and I) both love the Vibrams, she has taken to lifting in Chucks but I typically go barefoot (joy of owning my gym)or Vibrams. We've thought about some lifting shoes but are nervous about purchasing a pair online, since we wouldn't know if they fit right.

Training ADHD, could you elaborate this concept I am perhaps not understanding what you mean. (in other words note what you see so that I can apply fixes)

Thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon M View Post
    We've thought about some lifting shoes but are nervous about purchasing a pair online, since we wouldn't know if they fit right.
    I ordered my rips(12.5s) half a size larger than my normal(12s) shoe size which is half a size smaller than my asic's(13s) running shoe size and they fit snug.

Some of the online-order lifting shoe companies have a no-question size exchange policy. Look around to figure out who does it.

I use chucks... they're fine, but I think I'm pushing my limits of knee safety with them. I hear proper shoes take a lot of stress of the knees and squatting 300+ it is about time I bite the bullet. I've asked Santa :-)

ADHD - wanting to work out the day after a workout. Wrong weights on the bar. Xfit workout day... no big deal, just be mindful of it. Stick with SS for 4 months of solid commitment, then decide if you need a change and if you do, make it a small one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon M View Post
    We've thought about some lifting shoes but are nervous about purchasing a pair online, since we wouldn't know if they fit right.
    I remember worrying about this same thing before I bought mine. But it's really not a great excuse. Get a ruler, and measure your foot length up against a wall. Send an email to the company (roguefitness.com or what have you, and IIRC they allow exchanges?) with your measurement and ask for what they think is the correct size. You'll want the interior length of the shoe to be about 1cm or 0.5in longer than your foot length. I would imagine the shoe will fit.

Default friday session 4 week 2 A

Interruptions abounded this workout, no broken sets but a couple of extended rest periods ~10-15 min in one case on the bench
    Me
    Squat 3x5 215 only increased 5 lbs, feel like I could have gone heavier but I don't want to stall. Felt good I'll continue 5 lb increases from here.

Bench 3x5 160 felt strong +5 lb increases here too, I'd like to hit BW before slowing down

Deadlift 1x5 280 Amazing I have no desire to slow down my deadlift, I love it love it love it. +15lb

GF
    Squat 3x5 120 felt good +5
    Bench 3/2@85 4@80 think we will drop her to 80 for the next workout to rebuild her confidence failing shook her up today.
    Deadlift 1x5 130 good +5 for next week

looking forwards to two days off definitely gonna work PC on Monday with empty bar (sadly not me just GF)

Just +5 on dl for the lady?

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    Just +5 on dl for the lady?
    Its what she wants to do, I have suggested more but...
    In the end its her program and her weights not mine, so she owns it.

starting strength coach development program
    Damn lol. Tell her you'll load the plates for her and sneak in an extra 10lb

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast