starting strength gym
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: tfarny starts starting strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Don't stop yourself at parallel if that's your weakest place. Go all the way down and bounce of your calves or something. You might want to experiment with high-bar.

ps I hate you for being so flexible....
    A) Yes, because we don't want to work on weaknesses and make them stronger.... /sarcasm
    B) You are going to get someone seriously hurt with your piss-poor advice. Bouncing on the calves can lever the knee joint open, placeing even more stress on the patellar and quadriceps tendons. You're not only a fool for doing it, you're a fucking moron. And it's criminal that you offer this as "advice."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve in ATL View Post
    A) Yes, because we don't want to work on weaknesses and make them stronger.... /sarcasm
    B) You are going to get someone seriously hurt with your piss-poor advice. Bouncing on the calves can lever the knee joint open, placeing even more stress on the patellar and quadriceps tendons. You're not only a fool for doing it, you're a fucking moron. And it's criminal that you offer this as "advice."
    Forcefully stopping at parallel might be worse for the knees, whereas a full range of motion would put the knees in a strong position.

Took video, will post when I have time.
    Squat: 180 3,2, MTH%&*$&%(FKr, 135 2 x 10, might as well work some endurance while I'm all dressed up. Still no bounce-feeling, wait for the vid. One cue I realized I'm missing is the ass-clench.
    Press 97.5 5,5,4-and-almost. Very happy to get the 1.25 lb plates. I can see they're going to get a lot of use. It's a marathon not a sprint.
    I think my pec is feeling better now so I'll go back to alternating press / bench on Wed.
    Deads 230 1x5, love my deads. When I'm not getting anything right, the deads come along and rescue my ego.

Inverted row + 15 lb 2x10, weighted pushup (37.5) 2 x 10.

Form check video uploaded. Link to thread: http://startingstrength.com/resource...743#post200743

Well they opened up the gym partway (they had a power surge or something) - apparently barbells and squat racks are immune to power surges - who knew?
    Squat 180 5,5,3 (dump), 3 - tried a slightly wider grip which I needed to follow the advice to get my elbows a bit more out and the bar a bit lower, it really helped my chest stay up too, and clenching my ass was a great cue. I also remembered not to look in the goddamn mirror at all, which really helped. Even though I didn't quite hit these, I felt good about my form and progress.

Bench - 165 5,3, 155 5 - first time back to the bench after feeling a weird tweak in my left pec. The tweak came back unfortunately. Two weeks off of bench for sure. Ah well, I seem not to have lost any bench ability.

Clean and jerk 120 3,3,3,3,3 - didn't hit all the jerks, I took it on a case by case basis depending on my strength. I like my clean form better, with light weights it's not too bad but as it starts to get just a little bit heavier I'm putting too much arm into it. But I feel like I have the basic idea. Yay for the video.

Chins 6,5,4 plus a couple of static holds at the end.
    Good day form-wise but I didn't break any records.

My brother's car broke down on a road trip, we had to stay in a motel, the motel gave guests acccess to the adjacent gym, so I did get a light day workout on my vacation!
    Only had 1/2 hr or something, just did squat 2 x5x 155, press 2x5x95, chins 2xf, cleans 115 4x3, deads 135 1 x a lot until I got tired. Still I think it was good and will minimize DOMS when I really get back. Will do some plyo pushups and chins today and tomorrow too.

First day back after three weeks off and a touch of pneumonia. Didn't manage too much and I was planning on a light day anyhow.
    Squat 165 1 x 5, hammies were real tight and no reason to push it the first day back.
    Press 85 2 x 5 easy
    dead 225 doable
    Chins 6,5, omfg.
    Not a lot of energy but it's good to be back at it.

I was wondering where you went. Pneumonia? Damn. I hope you're all right. Good luck getting back into it.

I hear a lot of people are getting sick in NYC lately.

starting strength coach development program
    Just a touch of it, really. I'm still not 100% but I'm off the meds. Oh I've lost 7 lb on my "cut" in just a few weeks. Shockingly easy to lose weight after a few months of lifting - I'm assuming my metabolism increased quite a bit or something. I'm revising my next-steps plan a bit based on that result and thinking about my progress so far. I'm still weak as hell but not really like a kitten, just like a newb. So that's nice. I'm thinking I'll re-start SS on Feb 1 and fully DTP - calories and all - with the slight mod of the following Wednesday program:

Mid-week workout: Chins 3 x f, Squat (80% of working weight x 1), bench / press alternating, deads / cleans alternating. No assistance exercises on that day, instead I'll do a metcon or a sprint workout later that same day.

If I really DTP for 12 weeks, considering I've already gotten the very easiest gains out of the way, the most weight I could gain would be 25-30 lb, which equates to losing 12 or so lb of fat at the very most once finished - that seems pretty doable now. I have a travel week off right in the middle, which is a perfect time to take a scheduled rest anyhow.
    That would put me to the end of April, which is enough time to get a 3 wheel deadlift, over BW bench, etc. The squat seems to be my nemesis so I'm not making any promises there. I still don't feel any "bounce" and can get way below parallel, I think my long legs and flexible hammies really work against me in the squat.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast