starting strength gym
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: tfarny starts starting strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Today I went to the free crossfit intro session. We did "Cindy" - I set = 5 chins, 10 pushups, 15 air squats, go for max sets in 10 min. Great simple metcon workout I should do at home once in a while. 90% of what they said, everyone on this board would agree with.
    I'm not about to jump ship on my SS plans though. When I can dead 3 wheels I'll give it another good think though, it sucks to be totally gassed from just doing simple calisthenics.
    Edit: I asked the trainer about combining occasional cfit with SS, and he said that sounded really reasonable, said Rip had visited their box a few times. Didn't like Korean food, apparently.

Second time back - I've got a bit of weird back of the knee pain and a tight hammy / groin thing going, plus my usual sore left wrist. Just working back from time off and illness.
    Squat 170 2 (fail due to getting stuck), 5,5,4
    Bench 145 5,5,5 Easy except for the wrist thing. The pain does help me to remember to grip the bar actively.
    Cleans 115 3,3,3,3,3 Also easy.
    inverted rows on rings, feet up: 10 8 6
    Rings tuck: 3 x 15 seconds approximately, garbage form. Going to keep the rings thing as my "A" accessory for now. They are fun.

Did a couple of workouts but didn't log them because I didn't squat and working back from injury.

Seated dumbell press 7,6,8 x40ea. - I'm experimenting to see if this exercise doesn't bug my shoulder like OHP seems to. It could be the chins, though, so I'm subbing out the OHP for this for a couple weeks and see how that goes. Felt good, easy weight.
    Squat = warmed up to 95x5 then bailed due to bad feeling in knee. Don't want to rush.
    Dead 245 attempt 2,1,X. Would have been a fun PR, I'll hit it next time.
    Chins 5,4,4 I seem to be getting worse and worse at chins!
    L-sit fun stuff. I'm going to nail this for 30 seconds then move to the rings version. Great static hold exercise.

Wow, you had a rough January. I don't dare whine about what I thought were serious problems now.... :-)

Anyway, FWIW my end-of-Jan total is 690 = 107.5 (press) + 162.5 (bench) + 190 (squat) + 230 (deadlift). Not much progress, actually, except the squat.

Must make February better for lifting.

@ Mulgere: you don't know the half of it. I'm not logging personal life shit on here.

Warmup 5 minutes C2 Rower, 10 clapping pushups, 50 fast jumping jacks.

Squat 135 x 3 x 5- I'm starting here and just going to pay attention to the knee as I go. No issue today. Next time 145 if the knee is still good.
    Bench 160 x3x5 - tough but felt good.
    Deadlift 245 x1x5 - Oh THATS what a hard deadlift feels like! Well, shit. Got it done though I took a knee between rep 4 & 5.
    Chins - forgot but it wasn't impressive
    L-sit: got a decent one but could only hold about 7 seconds. Subsequent attempts were not exactly Oly caliber gymnastics.

Feeling better!
    Squat 145 x3x5 - smooth sailing, I like how the knee feels today.
    seated db press - 45s x 4,4,pht. 40sx4. I'm going to stick with this press replacement for a while until I figure out for sure if it was OHP that kept hurting my shoulder, and if so what to do about it.
    Push press 105 x2x5.
    PC (& jerk) 115 x3x3. These felt fine, warming up with some hang cleans is good for my form practice. Still not racking it perfectly but I feel better about the jump. Jerk is getting a bit better too. Slow and steady here, watch the knees.
    pushups = hand on medicine ball 12x each hand. roman chair, medicine ball over head x12. Some yoga moves to round it out. Good day.

Knee feels good.
    Squat 155 x3x5
    Seated db press 45s 4,4,3 - Hmmm. I am going to either figure these out or find out how to stop pinching a nerve doing OHPs. I don't really want this to become a high rep exercise, I'd rather get back to OHP.
    Dead 250 1x5 (with a tiny break b4 rep 5). Rough going. I am going to video myself soon to examine my back rounding, I know it's not ideal but don't want to reset until I really have to.
    aussie rows, L-sits.

I do think I'm going to a mostly 72-hr recovery model, schedule permitting. I think I'll gain just as fast that way with less chance of injury given my age and crap genes and total lack of lifting history.

Squat 160 3x5, no probs. Could have done another 10 lb jump but didn't sleep much the last couple of days and It'll get hard again very soon.
    Bench 165 3x5, no probs. I think this is the heaviest I did well before having bench troubles last Dec. So next session I'll be back in bench PR territory. I finally "got it" as far as wrist / bar position and shoulders back, I think, which is going to make a huge difference here. BW bench, here I come.
    PC 120 5x3, I got better on the racking, jerked a few of them, overall made progress on the technique to where I'll start to progress upwards again.
    Good day overall. Assistance = nada, I'll go play racquetball in a few hrs. and that'll be enough for the day.

Squat 165 3x5, damn I suck at squatting. I hit these but they should not have been hard.
    DB seated press 40 7,4,3 - push press 105 2x5 - OHP 45 2x5. New plan with the press is to start over with the empty bar and hit a couple of sets +5 lb every single session until I get to my old working set of 95, then drop the less-than-ideal DB press and push presses. I need to find a way to exercise my shoulders without the pinched nerve, and so far staying away from OHP has helped me do that.
    Deads 1x5 255. I hit it but had to really take a knee before rep 5 and I don't feel good about my back rounding. Do over next time.
    Aussie rows, raised feet, x whatever. L-sit is getting fairly proper, I'm ready to start doing this one on rings.

Sleep = so so, nutrition = good and plenty but not monster quantities. Drinking milk w/ bananas and whey powder in it, plus a ton of real food. Lunch is veal neck and spinach fer instance.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat 170 3x5. This should have been easier than it was, and I already am starting to good morning it a bit. Ah well. I suck at squat.
    Bench 170 4,3 - I got a spot thank god because I totally failed this. Why am I still unable to hit 170 on bench? 165 was my PR last december when I started to feel some pec and wrist pain and backed off it for a bit. I'd hate to go to 2.5 lb jumps already.
    PC 125 5x3. I felt good about these! Form is improving, especially the finish, and the weight feels very solid. I'm giving up on trying to jerk these though.
    L-sit on rings - whew! I managed a 15 second tuck but a proper lsit on rings is a work in progress. Very fun though.
    Chins - hit 6 good proper ones so I tried them w/ 10 lb weight, managed 3 then just 1. Enough for today!

Thoughts on 72 hr recovery - likes it. Likes it a lot. I'm sitting here forcing down some all-meat chili and baked squash and choco-banana-whey-milk.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast