starting strength gym
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: tfarny starts starting strength

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quick update - I'm back from travel, the tiny hotel gym only really let me do chins and dumbell presses, dumbell squats, and pushup variations, so I did that a few times. Today I went to my new-temporary gym and did light front squats 105 3x5 ("light squat day"), 55lb dumbell prone press 7,6,5 (easy, will do 60s next time, hardest part is cleaning them into position then sitting down), then PC 135 5x3, Chins 3x5. So no, I'm not DTP because I'm flying all over the place, moving, etc. etc., but I'm doing some stuff, staying with it.

Next week I ought to be in a better position to hit some new PRs though - I'm definitely going TM for the squat portion. Maybe I'm a genetic dwarf, maybe I'm more decrepit @ 40 than you bastards, maybe you are all a bunch of jr high trolls playing a huge joke on us "normals" with your tales of 400 lb squats after 3 months(!). Maybe my long skinny legs and flexible hammies put me at a big mechanical disadvantage. Who the fuck knows. But I'll hit 225 for 3x5 before I switch to gut reduction.

Well I guess I stopped lifting around the start of april, life really and truly got in the way for a while. I did lose about 10 lb and worked up my conditioning, found a permanent spot to live and a new gym. This week I started back up again with the barbell, I'm working up a different program from SS though - I have decided 1) I'm in no rush 2) 3 heavy days per week is too much anyhow 3) I'm going to watch my diet and gain minimal fat in future, 4) bench pressing is not for me. 531 doesn't appeal but it's hard to say why. So I'm looking at an intermediate-gain (weekly) 2xweek program based around squats, press, dl, clean and jerk, chins, and a short metcon, plus a third day of hill sprints + playground work (more chins, inverted rows, etc.). Instead of bench I'll do weighted pushups, dips, dumbell press but I'll do them as accessory work. So no, I'm ndtfp but I'm doing something fairly closely related. First step is just to linearly progress up to my old prs and then figure out a volume / intensity thing for the squats and press, and find out how much more linear progress I can get out the dead. Yesterday I played it very safe (2nd time back) and did squats 175 3x5, press 90 3x5, dl 225 1x8, chins maybe 20 or so.

Warmup: 1k row, 3:52
    Press (intensity?) 2x3 @ 100lb. Nice to do these before squats for a change.
    Squats 3x5 @180. Somehow the time off really did wonders for me form. Legs feel less wobbly, hip drive is there. I think I'll be pr'ing again shortly.
    C&J ramped up to 2x3 @ 115 for the heaviest. Try 5 lb jumps from this point. Felt good though, could have def gone harder. Coaching has done wonders for my clean.
    Chins 3x5
    Metcon: 5 rounds of 10 high box jumps, 15 kb swings (16kg bell). 6:31. A 2k row might be just as good a metcon, though I like the "plyo" thing even if it is somewhat bogus.
    Feeling good today, ready to get heavy soon.

best of luck with the new program/revamp!
    - you are right - there is no race to a certain number, especially if you keep getting sidelined by injuries

starting strength coach development program
    Had a workout of C&J coaching plus a bunch of light stuff.
    Today:
    Chins 3x5 (got six the first go)
    Squats 185 5 5 4 (how could I miss 185? Fuck! I actually dumped it, too. Not feeling strong at all today)
    flat bench dumbell press w/ 45s (mucking about really, had some very sore shoulder bits from C&J training last week and skipping press). Probably should have just done weighted pushups here.
    Dead 235 double OH x8. I'm ready to go back to town on the deads.
    Figuring out my fancy new gym. It is incredibly well set up but too crowded in evenings.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678