starting strength gym
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tfarny starts starting strength

Default tfarny starts starting strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all:
    New to this forum and pretty new to focusing on getting strong. I am 39, have not ever really lifted before, and my efforts at health have always been half-assed. I was healthy in my 20s like everyody I suppose. I'm a hardgainer, ectomorph.
    I started lifting on Stronglifts 5x5 two months ago and came here when I wised up. I'm doing SS + assistance exercises pretty close to Mark's plan:
    A
    Squat 3x5 (started 95, now 160)
    Bench 3x5 (started 95, now 160)
    Power clean 5x3 (Just started, 105, form stinks)
    Inverted rows (aussie pullups) (12 on first set, usually three sets)
    Weighted pushups (35 lbs, 8 5 5)
    B
    Squat 3 x 5
    Press 3 x 5 (started 64, now 100)
    Push Press 2 x it depends (115)
    Deads 1 x 5 (started 135, now 205) been doing 2 x 5 because it feels dumb to put it all away after warming up and getting set up.
    Pullups (9 strict dead hang full chins on a good day, first set) 3 sets x f
    Bridges (10 sec each alternating: elbows, hands, l. side, r. side) 3 x failure

Nice to meet everyone, I'll post more later. Any comments or criticisms welcome.
    Last edited by tfarny; 11-30-2010 at 12:10 AM.

Default One idea

I had was to knock off the bench for a couple of weeks and move the push press and chins into that spot, for the sake of balance and getting stronger in the shoulders and arms.

The Basic Strength Standards tables show that press to be about 65-70% of bench press weight. Your press is 62.5% so it really isn't behind by much. Just a 4 pounds which is probably well within the error of the tables.

That's true, I guess - I still might lay off the bench just for a week or two, I feel like it's ahead of my other lifts especially the squat. A muscle-up is a goal of mine so maybe I could work in pullups there for a couple of weeks or something. I definitely don't have the back and arm strength to do a muscle up just yet.

At 160 there's no reason to lay off bench at all... keep at it, man! I'm just 5lbs behind you on bench.

I am, however, 125lbs ahead of you on squat... so you need to work on that!! haha.

Why is your bench and squat progress the same? You squat twice as often and SHOULD be adding more weight each time than you add to bench.

Also, say the word "hardgainer" out loud, then slap your mouth. Repeat this activity 5 times before every meal. I used to be 5'11" 148lbs "hardgainer". Learn to eat. I'm now 205lbs after YEARS of trying to gain weight, I got it all in a year. There is no such thing as a hardgainer, only a person of unfortunately small appetite. EAT BIG!

I've only been lifting for two months, but I could do about 40 pushups before starting. Realistically I could have started the bench at 135. But, I've done very little lower body work, like ever. My first ever proper squat was two months ago. I'm happy with 70 lb progress in two months. My goal is to get squats up to 225 by March and then spend the spring and summer out of the gym playing sports and having fun, six months in the gym six months out is what I'd like to be doing on a yearly basis.
    I have not skipped any squat days, but I had a few days with bad technique, and actually stalled @ 160, went down to 145 and worked up again. It doesn't come easy for me.

Weight: I've gained maybe 7 lb these last couple months, to 192 lb. I'm 6'1" and would like to stay under 200, I've upped my calories a lot but since I was recently pudgy I am not going to let myself gain much fat while getting strong. I know it's a tightrope but I am in great control of my diet (Paleo + milk, and I'm a good cook).

225 by March is aiming really low. You'll get in the groove and start crushing weights. Gains seem to go up in spurts, I've found.

If you're stalling at 160 (Don't feel bad, I think I stalled at 170 the first time) you should probably post a video... I wish that I had.

Staying under 200lbs at 6'1" will limit your progress.

Aren't you from MDA?

6 months out and 6 months in will not get you anywhere. You'll be back at 95 lbs squat when you start again.
    Last edited by Carnivroar; 11-30-2010 at 08:47 AM.

1. Thanks for the tips everyone. If I don't follow them, that's on me.
    2. I'll post a vid but I have had some coaching and I think I've got my form pretty decent for a newb, my real form concern is the power clean.
    3. I don't mind slower progress and less added gut. That's why my goals are modest, I'm doing this for overall strength and health, I'm not too interested in weightlifting for its own sake - not a knock on those who are, of course. I'm used to exceeding my goals and if I do squat 260 in March that will be even better. I plan to eat enough, but not go insane, because I don't think that yo-yo weight gains are good in general and I really like being leaner than last year.
    4. Yep I'm on MDA, do you post there?
    5. I plan to stay very active over the summer, I doubt I'll lose all my gains or that I'll have too much trouble getting them back. I have some minimal home equipment and have lots of bodyweight stuff to work on. I travel a lot during summer anyhow so a regular barbell program will be impossible. Athletes in all kinds of sports do off-season conditioning then focus on their game during the season, they don't lose all their gains.

starting strength coach development program
    Heh... if you keep this up, you'll both smash your goals andbecome addicted thus continuing through the summer as well as adding a few pounds to support your lifts... just you wait :-)

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast