Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sessulan's training/eating log

Default Sessulan's training/eating log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Name: Sessulan
    Body: 5'11", 155ish pounds.

Planning on eating 3k calories a day to make SURE I gain weight. No more half-assing this growing stuff!

I'm starting with my last two days' eating logs. Then I'll start putting up training logs as I work out.

1/06: http://imgur.com/8lehh

1/07: http://imgur.com/cMIKF

No offense, but 3000 Calories a day is hardly non-half assing. Don't get me wrong, I think it should allow for a comfortable rate of weight gain, and I may go as far as recommending it. But if you think you are eating big and going to throw on over a kilo of weight a week, you need to increase that by a fair margin.

Welcome to the forum. I gotta agree with Subsistence on this one. 4-5,000 is more reasonable for adequate recovery/growth.

Okay, thanks for the advice guys...so how on earth am I gonna fit in another 1k calories?

The only thing I can really think that will add calories easily are peanut butter and bread/oatmeal, and butter. Is 40/40/30 carb/fat/protein acceptable for my macros? That is, about 200 g protein.

Quote Originally Posted by Sessulan View Post
    Okay, thanks for the advice guys...so how on earth am I gonna fit in another 1k calories?

The only thing I can really think that will add calories easily are peanut butter and bread/oatmeal, and butter. Is 40/40/30 carb/fat/protein acceptable for my macros? That is, about 200 g protein.
    Have you tried the whole milk, it is the standard recommendation around here. 40/40/30 is fine I imagine. Pretty much anything with enough protein is fine. I personally favour carbs over fats but I would be shocked if it made a massive difference in such a hypercaloric contest.

I feel I may as well issue a warning: If you eat that many (4000+kcal/day) you will get fatter. And (assuming you are doing the program) a lot stronger. I assume you are aware of this, but I figure I may as well give you the heads up so you don't came back in a couple months fat and angry at us.

I drink whatever milk is available here, which is usually skim. I'm fine with that, I get plenty of fats from the peanut butter

Okay, well given your warning, I think I'll choose to go with 3k a day and get moderately stronger and bigger. Because--I've never gotten any bigger in all of my working out, and i've never eaten more than 2200 or so. So I think 3000 will be a good start.

Looking forward to some squats tomorrow! On the smith, unfortunately...I can't seem to do a squat correctly without falling backward. I think they'll come with some more practice in the smith, assuming I practice good form (which I am!)

Fuck the smith machine. It doesn't teach you balance in that dimension, so it is no way to practice squat form. Read the book, watch the DVD, and learn how to do a barbell squat ASAP.

And if you have a hard time taking in calories whole milk is far more calorie dense, making it a better choice than skim in this context.

Good luck tomorrow!

Okay, well if you don't mind staying up with me for a bit, Subsistence, I'd like to get your help on squatting then.

I've watched lots of people squat correctly and I think I know the steps to do it properly, but I seem to fall over when I get halfway through the motion. It's like I am too inflexible or something. I have to lean forward too much to stay on the ground.

Do you think having a barbell will help? I want to give real squats another try at the gym tomorrow (with the bar), but there aren't staff members that go around and help with that kind of stuff at the YMCA, you have to set up an appointment, and...frankly I want to start putting these calories to use. So, smith machine tomorrow, or try with a bar and possibly fall over?

Quote Originally Posted by Sessulan View Post
    Okay, well if you don't mind staying up with me for a bit, Subsistence, I'd like to get your help on squatting then.

I've watched lots of people squat correctly and I think I know the steps to do it properly, but I seem to fall over when I get halfway through the motion. It's like I am too inflexible or something. I have to lean forward too much to stay on the ground.

Do you think having a barbell will help? I want to give real squats another try at the gym tomorrow (with the bar), but there aren't staff members that go around and help with that kind of stuff at the YMCA, you have to set up an appointment, and...frankly I want to start putting these calories to use. So, smith machine tomorrow, or try with a bar and possibly fall over?
    Sorry, I went to bed right after typing my last reply to you.

Have you tried the starting position without the bar? Feet at shoulder width, 30 degrees out, with your elbows pushing out your knees, as deep as you can go? If you can get in the right position there, you should be able to do it when squatting. This also functions as a stretch.

I am not exactly sure what to tell you if you can't balance at all even like this, as I never had that issue personally. You may want to repost your question in the technique forum for more advice. You may want to do some leg swings and such in your warm up to loosen the hamstrings a little. The squat itself also acts as a stretch, but that is of course contingent on you being able to squat.

starting strength coach development program
    1/08:

Squat: Weight was irrelevant, just used the bar to get the form right. A trainer at the YMCA said my form looked "good," but I don't know if I trust him. I'll shoot a video to you guys soon. Also, subsistence, I agree with you now--fuck the smith. I tried it after using the barbell. Not even close to the right motion.

Bench: 85x5, 95x5, 105x3. Guess I'll start at 90x5 next week. Or 95? ...I just don't like failing a set.

Deadlifts: Used a guided thing where you put the freeweight discs on the side and grip handles and do the deadlift. I guess I should switch to a bar next time. Just another thing to learn...

It's annoying eating 3k+ calories and not getting a great workout because of my technique problems. Makes me fret that my excess calories are for nothing! Oh well, I'll just keep it up and hope my technique comes with more persistence...

EDIT: food log: http://imgur.com/dEv3f
    Last edited by Sessulan; 01-09-2011 at 11:25 AM. Reason: add food log

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast