starting strength gym
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Finally Finishing Linear Progression: An Overdue SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dsp View Post
    why bother with the belt? unless your back is rounding and your health is compromised, "hard" shouldnt necessarily be a bad thing. stick with the DOH, you'll be happy you did. If you grip fails, use mixed or hook to finish off the work set.
    If I feel my back is a week link and that switching to a belt will allow me to progress without stalling for longer, then I will use a belt.

I stick with double-overhand when I can. When it gets too heavy I use hook grip. On max effort sets I don't like to switch mid-set, as a weaker grip can make the earlier reps more draining than they need to be.

Squat: 215x3x5
    Bench: 165x3x5
    Chin Ups: bwx11/8/7
    Cable Crunches: 77.5x8/8/10

Squats were harder than they should be. I feel like my back *might* have rounded on the last rep of the last step, but I may just be imagining it. I think I'll go back to using my belt as I don't see any reason to hold myself back without it.

Bench was pretty easy. Last rep of each set slowed down a little but overall it was fine.

Chin ups were the same as last time. One more rep on the final set, but it could be due to a longer rest period, so who knows.

Cable Crunches I went lighter on to nail the form and work back up. They were pretty easy.

8/3/11

Squat: 220x3x5
    Press: 115x3x5
    Chin Ups: +30x3x5 (PR)
    Cable Crunches: 87.5x8/8/7

I added the belt for squats. They were tough but I got them done. Back felt rigid.

Press was pretty easy.

Chins were tough on the last set, but I was doing 5 minute rests opposed to my usual longer ones still.

I think I got too aggressive with cable crunches, going to scale back to 85lbs.

8/5/11

Squat: 225x3x5
    Bench: 170x3x5
    Deadlifts: 250x1x5

Squats were damn tough, but I managed. Since my estimated 5RM was 228lbs, doing 3x5 for 225 is probably around max effort. Hope I can continue to progress for a bit longer.

Bench wasn't too bad. I was letting my left arm drift toward my face a little though, so I have to keep an eye on that.

Deadlifts were also challenging, but I managed them.

Squat: 230x3x5 (GOAL 1 REACHED)
    Press: 120x3x5 (GOAL 1 REACHED)
    Chin Ups: bwx11/9/7
    Cable Crunches: 85x3x8

Squats were tough, but no tougher than last session. I took longer rests, so they may have even been a tad easier. That or I am just getting used to the feel of tough squats again. This session also puts me over my estimated 5RM of 228lbs.

Press wasn't too bad. I felt my form was a touch shaky but the weight could be muscled up anyway. This also puts me at my estimated 5RM, so I am hitting the end of my run up.

Chins were tough as going to failure tends to be. My grip almost failed on the last rep of the first set. My forearms were really strained from this one.

Crunches felt really good, could really feel it in my abs on the last set. I think I am finally getting the form for these down.

Weight: 175.9

Squat: 235x3x5
    Bench: 175x3x5 (GOAL 1 REACHED)
    Chin Ups: 175.9 + 35= 210.9x3x5
    Cable Crunches: 85x3x8

Basically everything was tough and I am reaching the current limits of my strength. My bench is not at my estimated 5RM.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat: 240x3x5
    Press: 125x3x5
    Deadlifts: 265x1x5 (GOAL 1 REACHED)

Squats were fucking tough. Not confident about my ROM on these. Also was the first time I thought I might actually fail since re-starting this log. Sunday will be a real challenge, and I'll have to try to keep an eye on my depth. When deloading I also hit my finger on my belt buckle and almost dropped 45lbs onto my foot. Lesson learned- be fucking careful.

Presses were harder than I expected at first. My first set I did with four 10s on each side. It felt a lot harder to balance laterally. I switched to using a 35 and a 5, and it felt a little better, but I was still too wobbly. On my last set I really focused on keeping tight and it was the best set of the three. Getting pretty close to where I left off here.

Deadlifts were tough, but doable. Not as bad as squats. I was not really controlling the eccentric and got asked to lower the bar more gently, saying it really echoed downstairs. I don't know why they moved the gym from the basement to the second floor if they were worried about that. Probably because they are idiots.

Also, I am not sure if I have mentioned curlbro before, but that is what I dubbed my nemesis at this gym. One day I went in and wanted to use the squat rack (we have only 1) and he was doing forearm curls in it, and said he had something like 7 more sets. I asked if I could work in because I was doing squats and needed the rack to do them. He said yes, though not without sounding annoyed, and then just left to take up the bench press doing forearm curls. Got forbid you have to lift up the fucking weight. He has also been spotted doing curls, staring intensely at himself in the mirror, while standing on one leg on a bosuball, amongst other things. So when I finish my set of deadlifts I turn around and just see him glaring at me in anger. Apparently the noise disrupted his set of leg extensions. Caught off guard to see him of all people giving me the death-stare, I just burst out laughing. Since deadlifts were last I just put away my stuff and left.
    Last edited by Subsistence; 08-12-2011 at 07:21 PM.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910