starting strength gym
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Finally Finishing Linear Progression: An Overdue SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I had to miss Wednesdays workout due to exams. So I did deadlifts today instead.

Squats: 215x1x5
    Press: 122.5x5/4/4
    Deadlift: 115x1x5
    Pull ups (Unweighted): bwx10
    Back Raises: 5x20/15

Squat form still feels weird. Second day of the hard deload, will be back to 3x5 on Monday.

Press, on the third rep of set 2, I somehow let it get about a foot out in front of me. No idea how I was so careless, but I still have hope of completing this weight next time.

Deadlift form was still iffy. I tried a lower start position as I found out the middle of my foot is further forward than I thought it was. I asked a guy to watch my back for rounding, and he instead kept trying to interrupt me mid-set, was not watching half the reps, and after was trying to tell me I was starting with the bar too near my shins. When I asked about my back he was like "Well, it rounded a little". Big fucking help there.

I did one more single after and a PT I had watch said it was good, my low back was fine, but my thoracic spine rounded a little. But that was a single, not a set of 5. I am going to repeat the weight once more.

Pull ups I just did one set of since I had to deadlift on the same day due to missing Wednesday. Managed a set of 10, which is my previous PR, but that was all.

Back extensions I just did 2 sets due to deadlifts too.
    Last edited by Subsistence; 12-17-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Sounds like you're surrounded by unhelpful people. It'd be nice to have a little help every once in a while... I have to take videos of myself because I don't trust anyone else... I hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    Sounds like you're surrounded by unhelpful people. It'd be nice to have a little help every once in a while... I have to take videos of myself because I don't trust anyone else... I hope that helps.
    Some of the people there aren't bad, though I actually had a PT recommend I use a thumbless grip on the bench press before. Did the guy *want* to kill me? lol

Over Christmas I should try to ninja some videos at the gym in my home town. There is usually only 1 person on staff so it seems easier to pull off. And if I get in trouble, it isn't a gym that I am going to all the time anyway.

Thanks man.

Squats: 215x3x5
    Bench Press: 182.5x5/4/4
    Chin ups: bwx11/6/-
    Cable Crunches: 150x8/-/-

Squat form still felt iffy. Second set was ugly, but third was a bit better. I am having a really tough time nailing these. Bad form is definitely causing my sore leg.

Bench failed but didn't feel undoable, I need to figure out how to incorporate leg drive. Right now my legs are just kind of there.

However, I was doing a fasted workout (10g BCAAs beforehand) today. Usually this is fine, but this time 1 hour in, directly after the bench I just ran out of steam. Chin ups my grip was crappy and started to slip. If it was solid I could have done 12 again I think. Mid-set though I just completely ran out of energy. Cut the final set of chin ups due to this.

Cable crunches I just did one set of as I was feeling very weak without food.

I think you might be having diet-related recovery issues... Fasting and caloric restriction just doesn't work well with this program. I know you originally said that you didn't want to get fat, but this might be a good time to prioritize. If you want to maintain the body composition it might be time to change the program a little. I'm not sure how to tweak it, but it probably needs some tweaking. Or, on the other hand, if you want to try getting strong quickly now and lean out afterwards, eat more...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric K View Post
    I think you might be having diet-related recovery issues... Fasting and caloric restriction just doesn't work well with this program. I know you originally said that you didn't want to get fat, but this might be a good time to prioritize. If you want to maintain the body composition it might be time to change the program a little. I'm not sure how to tweak it, but it probably needs some tweaking. Or, on the other hand, if you want to try getting strong quickly now and lean out afterwards, eat more...
    I just want to note that I am still in a caloric surplus, just not a super massive one. So I wouldn't really call it "caloric restriction" to too massive an extent.

The fasted workouts never effected me before, in fact I felt better on them in the past. I am not sure why things went to hell in a handbasket this time. If that keeps up though, then obviously I'll have to do without them.

Thanks for the advice.

EDIT: Oh, and for clarity I am doing leangains-style fasting with 16 hour fast, 8 hour eating window. So I am not fasting for a whole day or anything.

I swear I am not just a lazy cunt. Gym closed 4 hours early for holiday hours and I wasn't aware. So missed my workout.

Also, Inzer sent me the wrong size belt. And I can't say I am thrilled with their customer service in regards to fixing it.

/rages

Happy Holidays.

There's always, something, man. The holidays aren't as great a time to train as I had expected... People are nuts this time of year... Fortunately, if you do make it to the gym, it's usually empty until next week... Haha

Anyway, happy holidays to you, too.

So I wake up at noon. Realize the nearby gym closes at noon. Son of a bitch.

In a internet searching frenzy I see the YMCA is open until 3PM. And my mother is just up in time to drive me for 1PM. Close call.

Squats: 225x3x5
    Press: 122.5x3x5 (PR)
    Deadlift: 252.5x1x5 (PR)
    Pull ups: 15x7/5

Squats finally felt good again. A little grindy on the last reps, but form and all felt more solid. I still swayed a little left to right, but nothing like the past disasters. I actually wondered if the bar was lighter than 45lbs for how easy things felt. But the difficulty of the Press and Deadlift convinced me this was not the case.

However this gym had a window right in from of the (only) squat rack. And the sun right in my face. After my first set some middleaged lady nearby had this conversation with me:

"You're strong!"
    "...thanks."
    "Are you a dancer?" (wtf?)
    "...no."
    "Oh, you're so flexible, my back would snap in half if I did that."

So...1) 225lb squat is "strong", 2) If someone is strong your first thought is they must *dance*, and 3) Flexibility was what was holding her back from a 225lb squat.

Was hard to keep a straight face.

Press was really nice to complete. The bar was a little fatter than usual, but I kept a real eye on my form and finally broke through this plataeu and hit a PR.

Deadlifts were a bitch. I had no chalk here, and the bar was fatter. I started off with a double overhand, not realizing how big a difference this made. After 3 reps I had to switch to a mixed grip (first time I've used it). Which means technically I let go of the bar. The last rep felt really ugly. A guy at the gym said my back was flat though. And while my shoulders may have rolled forward a bit, I never felt that "oh shit!" feeling in my lumbar I did the once I know it rounded. So I think I'll do a conservative weight increase for next time.

Pull ups I added in at the end and the only pull up station was angled and a slightly wider grip than I was used to. Made it quite challenging. Only did 2 sets as the place was closing and I deadlifted this workout.

All in all though, despite the poor facility, best workout in a while.
    Last edited by Subsistence; 12-24-2010 at 03:08 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Squats: 230x3x5
    Bench Press: 182.5x3x5 (PR*)
    Chin ups (Weighted): 15x6/5/5 (PR*)
    Back Raises: ---

Squats were challenging again, but doable. Friday I will go for 235 again then next Monday I go for the PR of 240lbs.

*On the bench press my spotter (despite my specific instructions on NOT to touch the bar unless I told him to) decided to help me with the last rep. I am still quite livid. However, I felt strong enough that I am almost *certain* I could have made it this time. So I am going to go up to 185lbs anyway, but man, some people are assholes.

Chin ups were on stupid angled bars again, and no chalk made my grip really suck. I don't know why places have bars at every angle but none straight.

No place to do back raises so I didn't do them.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast