starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Icarus's Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ran into a friend yesterday and had some drinks, woke with a hangover this morning so didn't go to the gym today.

Squat: 260x5x3 (PR)

Tough but good. Going to have to start using chalk for squats because the bar is starting to slip under the weight. Had to rack to re-grip the bar on the second to last rep on my last set.

Bench: 145x5x3

Finally eeked out that 145 weight, and I'm sure it's no coincidence that I was able to do it because I gained 6 lbs. in a matter of 10 days. At this rate, however, I'm afraid I might be gaining weight too fast. I don't want to have to get new clothes.

Deadlift: 265x5 (PR)

My deadlift is finally beginning to overtake my squat. This set felt much better than I did last time, when I got dizzy after each rep. I still get dizzy but not as much. I need to get film my next deadlift for a form check.

Summary

It felt good that all my spreadsheet numbers were black today.

It's been 3 days since I've been in the gym and I feel terrible, mostly disappointment with myself for not being able to take greater control of my life. An organization I volunteer for has been in crisis mode since this past Saturday and I've been meeting people, visiting distant sites multiple times, and this has totally thrown off my schedule as far as rest, gym, and food preparation. In addition to that, I have two interviews coming up before I leave the country next Tuesday, and travelling itself will also keep me from the gym until I return May 6th.

Starting tomorrow I can get in three gym days and get myself back on schedule for the 5 days I have left before I leave. Hopefully I won't atrophy too bad during my travels.

Squat: 235x5x3

Press: 95x5,5,3

Powerclean: 135x5, 5, 3

All in all a bad workout day. May have to do with my lack of sleep and bad diet. Also went in to the gym earlier than I usually do, hopefully do better on Sunday. Back to my strict diet regimen.

Most likely won't be heading into the gym for the remainder of May, thesis crunch time.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    Most likely won't be heading into the gym for the remainder of May, thesis crunch time.
    Take time off the thesis, linear progression crunch time!

Rediscovered this old thread after a long time away. When I last posted I was wrapping up my master's program and in the two years that have elapsed I moved to Chicago for a fellowship and just returned to NYC this summer. My lifting was very intermittent while I was away.

My last successful 3x5's are:

DL: 255
    Squat: 250
    Powerclean: 145
    BP: 140
    OHP: 92.5

I was frustrated with my rate of progress on the BP and OHP and need to increase my intake to begin identifying the culprit. However, I'm also 20 lbs heavier than when this thread first started so my first goal is to get from 191 lbs back down to 170. In the meantime, I'm going to continue hitting the gym to make minute gains/maintain current level of strength.

Please give us your height and age. Why do you want to lose weight?

Height: 5'11"

I want to lose weight in order to stay in my clothes, which would be impossible if I started bulking from where I am now. Better to trim some fat to make room for muscle.

Also, I'm posting again to use this thread as an accountability tool. I started this spreadsheet a while back for novices to keep track of each other - don't know if there's a new one floating out there as I've been MIA.
    Last edited by Icarus; 12-17-2013 at 10:11 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm no expert, and I've gone a bit too far in the other direction due to metabolic issues and love of food, but it seems hard to get stronger and lose weight at the same time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast