starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Icarus's Log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by dpinsen View Post
    I'm no expert, and I've gone a bit too far in the other direction due to metabolic issues and love of food, but it seems hard to get stronger and lose weight at the same time.
    It certainly goes against the SS training and my own experience. 5'11" is better suited for 200 lbs and not 170. But then, who am I?

I'm no expert, and I've gone a bit too far in the other direction due to metabolic issues and love of food, but it seems hard to get stronger and lose weight at the same time.
    Quote Originally Posted by carson View Post
    5'11" is better suited for 200 lbs and not 170. But then, who am I?
    Perhaps I was unclear. My goal at this time is to maintain my current level of strength while losing excess fat. Once I hit 170 it will make sense to do a clean bulk. This extra step in the beginning will help me to not purchase a new wardrobe. Strictly speaking this is not Starting Strength - no - not at this time. If you think this is reason enough to move this thread to "General Training Logs" please PM the moderator. Regardless, I will continue using this thread as an accountability tool for getting into the gym.

Edit: An additional .02, Starting Strength is a program one pursues in consideration of other life factors. It should have been apparent to me that posting on the SS forum I might attract sycophants who believe SS is the answer to all training endeavors, regardless of timing, context and other mitigating factors. This "purist," "hardcore" mentality is a failure to recognize Starting Strength is one of many tools at one's disposal; but then, people who are good with hammers like to think everything is a nail. No, I am not pursuing the Starting Strength because I am not bulking. I am, however, using the exercise program in SS, in order to maintain my current level of strength while losing weight. Never mind that Dan John, who Mark Rippeteoe has interviewed, recommends losing weight before bulking in his book Mass Made Simple. If you're unable to wrap your head around this concept please waste your time elsewhere.
    Last edited by Icarus; 12-18-2013 at 05:13 PM.

Take it easy. Why post if you don't want responses? I bid you peace.

Wedesnday, Dec. 18

Squat: 225 - 5, 5, 5
    OHP: 92.5 - 5
    PC: ---

Had a long work day and got to the gym too late, it closed before I could finish my workout.

Friday, Dec. 20

Squat: 235 - 5, 5, 5
    OHP: 92.5 - 5, 5, 5
    Powerclean: 135 - 5, 5, 5

I've had to back off on my exercises involving my lower back since doing something to it Monday. On Monday I set DL and Squat PRs and walked away thinking my lower back was tight from those workouts, but it lasted into the next day and through the week. Not sure whether his is a muscular or skeletal-type injury but the pain is manageable and the active recovery (first time doing this) seems to be accelerating it's improvement. I believe I have a genetic bias towards growth in legs and trunk as my upper body has always lagged behind - or is this a common occurrence among people who lack sufficient protein intake?

Do you hang at all, to stretch out your back? I use straps and hang for about 30 seconds before and after squatting and pressing. I find it helps my back.

Do you hang at all, to stretch out your back? I use straps and hang for about 30 seconds before and after squatting and pressing. I find it helps my back.
    I don't, but I did that incidentally did that yesterday for that reason - I may give it a shot tomorrow. You don't find that it affects you negatively? I'm curious about stretching the spine right before compressing it.

Monday, December 23rd, 2013

Squat: 245 - 5, 5, 5
    BP: 140x5, 135x5, 140x5
    DL: 225 - 5

My back is continuing to improve and I think the stiffness might all be gone in another week. My squat is approaching my PR and I took it easy on the deadlift since it was the first time I was doing it since the injury. I took special note to cue "chest up" and maintain a rigid torso, since I think my injury came from a rounded back in the first place.

I realized this morning that my bench press's grip is too narrow - I used to place the middle joint of my thumb right where the knurling begins from the center. I asked a someone to watch me press and to look for where my forearms are perpendicular and this placed my pinkies just inside the smooth stripe in the knurling. Benching this way (while backing off on weight a touch) I felt like I had much more "gas in the tank" at the end of each set, even if I was still struggling. I attribute this to recruiting a larger number of muscles. I also switched benches in the middle of this workout which accounts for the drop in weight for the second set. I switched to the power rack and experimented with slanted safety bars in the absence of a spotter. This worked out well for me. All in all a good workout.

I've begun taking 5mg of BCAA's before and after my workouts to help preserve lean mass during my diet.

I will be in LA for a week beginning the day after Christmas so I will have to find a gym with a week-long membership plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
    I don't, but I did that incidentally did that yesterday for that reason - I may give it a shot tomorrow. You don't find that it affects you negatively? I'm curious about stretching the spine right before compressing it.
    I don't hang just before a heavy work set. I hang before I start my squat warm ups, and then immediately after my last 3 warmup sets. Then immediately after my last squat work set. Then after my last press work set. And I usually hang after my dead lift work set.

starting strength coach development program
    Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Squat 240*5*3
    OHP 122.5*5*2, 4*1
    PC 135*5*3

Weigh 196 lbs.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123