starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dan's Log

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    • starting strength seminar february 2025
    13-07-2011

So, the arms didn't feel much better and the rest didn't happen and surprise surprise I ended up with a really poor work-out today, except for the press strangely enough. Early morning, fatigued and a little down about missing Friday and Monday.

PC:
    Warm and practise: 20 * 5 * 3; 30 * 5; 40 * 3; 50 * 3
    Work: 62.5 * 3 * 3; 50 * 3 * 2
    The 62.5 was ugly and ragged (2nd set was OK, but 1 and 3 were *awful*) so dropped back again to try to get form. Practise practise practise.

SP:
    Warm: 20 * 5 * 2; 30 * 5; 40 * 3; 50 * 2
    Work: 63.75 * 5 * 3
    Shoulders were hurting and could feel arms going again.

DL:
    Warm: 70 * 5; 110 * 5; 130 * 3; 150 * 2
    Work: 172.5 * 2
    Just pathetic.

And I was moping about so much I ran out of time.

Reading around a little vis. arm pains (which the rolling and stretching are helping but not clearing up as they have previously) I came across some stuff indicating some curls may help. On Thursday I tried some and, with the rolling and stretching, they did. Chins no doubt would have too. Need to get a chin bar.

15-07-2011

Fearing hurting my arms again I reversed my session and also stuck some assistance in...

BP:
    Warm: 20 * 5 * 2; 40 * 5; 50 * 5; 60 * 3; 70 * 2
    Work: 92.5 * 5 * 3
    This actually felt pretty good. Funny, I was all set to reset but 70 flew up so I thought I'd give it one more try. Success.

CG-BP:
    Work: 60 * 10 * 3
    Last set actually faster than 1st. Again, felt good.

Straight Curls:
    Work: 40 * 9/7

EZ-Curls:
    Work: 40 * 9 * 2
    Why two types of curls? Why not?

Squat:
    Warm: 20 * 5 * 2; 70 * 5; 90 * 5; 110 * 3; 130 * 2
    Work: 152.5 * 5 * 5/4/5
    Missed the last rep of the second set - will failure as I got up halfway and began to grind. Last set I was determined to complete every rep. Stars and dark spots on the last one, but I made it. Did have to apologise for grunt and the swearing when I let go of the bar though.

Funny thing. I'd been getting a little down about my progress/gym time - missing too many sessions, fatigue, not sticking to the program as I should have - and then I went through my written log - stained and battered, scrappy and detailing every missed session and deviation from the program - and saw the progress I've actually made since November. Taking away time off for injury (not program related) I've really not been doing this that long, but my lifts have improved amazingly. Makes me wish I'd slept properly, eaten properly and DTFP 3 days a week every week, sure, but even with the messing about:

Bench - 50kg to 92.5kg (42.5kg increase = 94lbs);
    Press - 40kg to 63.75kg (23.75kg increase = 75lbs);
    Squat - 70kg to 152.5kg (82.5kg increase = 182lbs);
    Deadlift - 90kg to 180kg (OK, for a triple... but still ... 90kg increase = 198lbs);
    Power Cleans - Well, I admit it, I've not really been doing them. Technically I could claim about a 30kg increase, but they suck so badly. I promise to practise more though.

And now I don't feel so bad. Plus I think I have at least one more reset in me for BP, SP and SQ and 2 for Deadlift. Now I just need to man up for the last stretch of LP and then decide how I want to progress to intermediate

Oh, also I've recently been getting people commenting on my physique (and in a good way) - which is nice, but probably means I need to eat even more
    Last edited by dgilberthorpe; 07-15-2011 at 03:32 PM. Reason: Spelling

starting strength coach development program
    19-07-2011

Maybe I spoke too soon...

First the good:
    Rest and recovery were (I thought) very good - even got an extra day due to needing to get back home early on Monday so delaying my session till today. I've been concentrating on eating plenty and good. All was well....

SP:
    Warm: 20kg * 5 * 2; 30 * 5; 40 * 3; 50 * 2
    Work: 65kg * 5 * 3
    This felt nice and strong.

Weighted Chins:
    5kg * 5/5/4 + 1n
    Shame about the last one - very close, but didn't quite get my chin over.

CG - BP:
    Warm: 20kg * 5 * 2; 30 * 5; 40 * 3; 50 * 2
    Work: 62.5kg * 10 * 3
    Pretty straight-forward.

And now the bad:
    SQ:
    Warm: 20kg * 5 * 2; 60 * 5; 100 * 3; 130 * 2
    Work: 155kg * 5/0/0; 140kg * 5 * 2

So, what happened? First set at 155 felt great through number 3; and I mean great - fairly quick, strong - just felt good. 4 was a little harder. 5 was a grind. Bearing in mind how hard the fifth felt I rested a full 10 minutes before my next set and... went down, started back and failed comprehensively. I think the bar came back up maybe three or four inches and then I was settling back on my haunches. TFF safeties.

It felt like I'd just gone straight into a sixth rep on the first set. Rested for another 10, tried again and got about half-way back up through sheer bloody mindedness but could not get near upright so aborted. Following this I did a couple of sets of 140kg because I felt stupid. These weren't too hard - difficult but not murderous - and done more for getting *some* volume.

So, what's the problem? Possibly I should have repeated 152.5kg today (I did miss that rep in the 2nd set on Friday, though that was will) but honestly I felt rested and good and thought I should be able to do it. *sigh*

Maybe I'm just due a reset - it seems about that time. I'll have a think about what's best for the next session.
    Happy that the press seems to be moving along though (touch wood)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123