starting strength gym
Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris' Training Log: Start Date 06 March 2012

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Might as well be on BB.com

Hip is feeling okay walking but still cant run so squats still off the table. Went to the gym yesterday and did upper body only :/

Monday 07 May 2012

Bench: 82kg/180lbs PR - was pretty easy but hadnt had to do squats first.
    Press: 50kg/110lbs - hard after the bench
    Chins: lots
    Back ext: 4x12 with 35lbs
    Dips: 3x10

seated rows, ab work and also did behind the head shoulder press with barbell.

Not sure what to do about this hip business, I guess two weeks off squatting is nothing if Im doing this long-term but as Ive only recently started it is very frustrating.
    Last edited by StrongLiftMyBalls; 05-10-2012 at 02:25 AM.

Hopefully last Non-SS workout as planning on starting squatting again on Saturday.

Wednesday 09 May 2012

Bench: 84/185lbs 3x5 - still LPing
    Press: 47/105lbs 3x5 - tired after bench and after upper body on monday, will be happy to not do this Saturday.
    Chins: 10,8,7,6,5

Practised Power Clean technique to see if hip hurt (didnt), and did RDLs for the first time as training partner recommended if hip hurt. Just used 50kg/110lbs but didnt want to risk aggravating hip.

Anyway, looking forward to Saturday as im feeling pretty bummed about NDTP

I was getting depressed with doing only upperbody while waiting for hip to stop hurting and felt embarrassed so havent been writing up my workouts.

To summarise, since the 9 May:

Bench: gone from 84kgs/185lbs --> 91/200. This was an initial program goal so happy with this (althought set was 5,5,4 so not official yet)
    Power cleans: gone from 62.3kg/137lbs --> 70/154. Starting to get the technique down.
    Press: gone from 50kg/110lbs --> 54/120.

Hip stopped bothering me on the 19th so started very low on squat but already back to 100kg (PR is 112.5) and will be doing 10lb jumps so should be back to PR territory by the end of next week.

Deadlifts have been fun, with a friend we worked up to our 1RM which turns out to be 150kg/330lbs.

Have been doing a lot of assistance work while injured, Back Ext, Chins, Pullups, Dips and Ab work, also have been stretching a lot as my hammies are very very inflexible which affects my lower back tightness on the squat, which should put me in good stead for the renewed LP to begin.

SATURDAY 26 MAY 2012

Because Im still 24 and an idiot and work in an office i go out drinking on fridays sometimes. Bad idea for gym on saturday.

Summary: Drank too much, ate too little and slept too little.

Squat: 105/231 3x5. Still working my way back from injury.
    Press: 57/125; 3,3,2. God they felt heavy. did 3x5 at 105 as punishment.
    Power Cleans: 62.3/137. 10 singles after doing 3x3 at 60kg. Felt very heavy. I also split-jerked each of the 10 singles.

also did chins, pull ups, dips and ab-hanging legraises.

Summary - thinking of this as at worst a maintenance day, which isnt too bad considering situation.

Here's some stretches/mobility work Greg Everett outlines in his book:

Hip flexors & Quads:
    - Couch stretch (with 3 different points of emphasis)
    - Lunge stretch
    - Lunge stretch w/ rotation

Hip extensors & Adductors:
    - Straight-knee hamstring stretch
    - Bent-knee hamstring stretch
    - Spiderman
    - Straddle
    - Butterfly
    - Russian baby maker

Posterior/lateral hip & lateral leg:
    - Lateral hip stretches
    - Standing ITB stretch

Shoulders & Chest:
    - Door jam stretch
    - Tricep/lat stretch
    - Shoulder dislocations

Calves:
    - Soleus stretch
    - Gastrocnemius stretch

Wrists & shoulders:
    - wrist flexor stretches
    - wrist extensor stretches
    - Clean stretch
    - Jerk stretch
    - Bar shoulder stretch

He's got a sample or two on his site. I realize those might not be too descriptive, but I can try and scan in the photos from the book if you'd like.

edit:

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    SATURDAY 26 MAY 2012

Because Im still 24 and an idiot and work in an office i go out drinking on fridays sometimes. Bad idea for gym on saturday.
    I thought it would be smart to train on the weekends, but I find I'm too inconsistent with the quick lifts. That and it makes it difficult to get all the chores/house maintenance crap done on the weekend when training is always on my mind. I think I'll have to switch back to MWF.
    Last edited by Mr_Rogers; 05-28-2012 at 10:29 AM.

Ive got the book and am doing the stretches he recommends. Itll just take time i think. Im an incredibly inflexible person, always have been. And 3 years of long distance cycling with next to no stretching cant have helped.

But thanks for the time and effort of typing all that out

lol who's the idiot now? (I'm referring to myself).

Monday 28 May 2012

Squat: 107kg/235lbs 3x5. Felt heavy but wasnt close to failing a rep. Not sure if its because i still only weigh c.175lbs but the weight always feels very heavy on my back before i head downwards.
    Bench: 89/195 3x5. Tried 200 again and wasnt happening. 200 for next time
    Deadlift: 140/308 x5. Very tough work but made it.

Jerked around with some power clean&jerks but my thighs were dead. Did pullups as well.

Going for 110 in squat tomorrow and hopefully get press to 125. Heres to hoping. Gonna eat well tonight and try to sleep early. Also quick qu to anyone that reads this. I know this has been hashed out before but I wanted personal opinion not a scientific debate.
    What do you eat, if anything, before the gym (carbs, protein, fat and rough calories) and how long before? I usually eat some protein or have a shake (v low carbs) 20mins before the gym but was thinking of experimenting with having a quick bite of carbs as after work im usually pretty tired and getting psyched up for each squat set can be difficult energy wise.

The last week or two I've been having a protein shake (2 scoops of whey, 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of chocolate almond milk, 1 banana, peanut butter, flax seed) about an hour before. I have some fruit juice and an apple about 30 minutes before training. I only used to have an apple and I'd be dead, zoned out half way through. Now I'm finding I have much more energy at the end of a workout. All together I'd say I'm between 500-700 calories if not a bit more.

edit:

I work until 4pm and it's usually 5-5:30 before I actually start lifting if that matters.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    Monday 28 May 2012

Squat: 107kg/235lbs 3x5. Felt heavy but wasnt close to failing a rep. Not sure if its because i still only weigh c.175lbs but the weight always feels very heavy on my back before i head downwards.
    Glad it's not me. I get it from 100kg up through my warmup. I'm not sure I'll complete a set in my warmup until I'm on the way up on the first rep.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast