Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris' Training Log: Start Date 06 March 2012

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Wednesday 30 May 2012

Good and bad session.

Good:
    Squat: 110kg/242lbs 3x5. Eaaasy, only took 2 mins between sets.
    Press: 56.8/125 [PR] 2x5, 1x6. So easy. Had to double check weight.

Bad:
    Power Cleans: 69/152; 1,1,0,0,1 then fail. So heavy and my shoulder/wrist flexibility is awful so always receive bar with elbows pointing straight down. Very painful for my bad shoulder.
    Deloaded to 60 and still sucked, so moved to 40kg and practiced hang cleans. Was easy and felt better but shoulder was hurting a lot so stopped.

Also did pullups and chinups. Then steam room and sauna. Feel stiff in lower back today. Croissants for breakfast helped (Eat clean waaaaat?).

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    Wednesday 30 May 2012

Good and bad session.

Good:
    Squat: 110kg/242lbs 3x5. Eaaasy, only took 2 mins between sets.
    Press: 56.8/125 [PR] 2x5, 1x6. So easy. Had to double check weight.

Bad:
    Power Cleans: 69/152; 1,1,0,0,1 then fail. So heavy and my shoulder/wrist flexibility is awful so always receive bar with elbows pointing straight down. Very painful for my bad shoulder.
    Deloaded to 60 and still sucked, so moved to 40kg and practiced hang cleans. Was easy and felt better but shoulder was hurting a lot so stopped.

Also did pullups and chinups. Then steam room and sauna. Feel stiff in lower back today. Croissants for breakfast helped (Eat clean waaaaat?).
    Stick a couple of sets of 5 front squats in, starting with maybe 20kg and 30kg+2.5kg per workout at the end of each workout. Gravity will fix the rack problem over time. Cut the cleans out for a week until you can rack.

If you "learn" bad form, it's a bitch to unlearn.

Thursday 07 June 2012

Bit of a lay-off as went to Berlin for short holiday. Ate badly, drank and generally didnt do my body many favours.

Saying that yesterday was awesome. Two PRs and a maintainence lift. Synopsis is: form shit, lifts still count.

Squat: 114.5kg/252lbs PR. 5,5,4 Should have made the fifth but form was pretty bad near the end. Will repeat this weight next time as form wasnt great, coming onto the toes too much and hip rising faster than the bar.

Bench: 88.6/195 4,4,4. Bit disappointed but all the lifts felt a bit odd, will take it as an off day and come back strong.

Deadlift: 147/323 PR 1x5. Smoked every single warm up set and felt so strong. working set was heavy but never in doubt (well the fifth was a toughie). Form wasnt great however, gym buddy said my hips went up early. but I think that was more excitment about hitting a PR and wanting to come out of the hole fast and hard. Ive been watching Konstantinovs videos and although I obviously will never use his starting position i notice that compared to other lifters he really explodes from the bottom.

Anyway, will be going again Saturday and will see how well i recover and if I can improve the Clean form.

Sunday 10 June 2012

Got greedy, paid the price.

Squat: Said I was going to repeat 115 with better form but felt really good so did 116.8kg/257lbs 2x5 but once again back angle got too horizontal and felt a small pull of a lower back muscle. dropped to 110 and finished the 3rd set.

Press: 56.8/125, 3x5 - decided to go for maintenance as back was aching

Power cleans: used 40kg to work on technique. Trying to come up with hips first, getting shins more vertical and shoulders over the bar and then brush/bash upper thighs with explosion. Felt good. Did 3 reps at 60 just to do some weight. Shoulder hurt quite a bit so i left it there.

Chins 10,7,5,5
    Pullups - 1x8

Back is broken today, pretty sore, ibuprofen program for a few days, may wait till thursday for next workout, will see how i feel on Tues.

Wednesday 20 June 2012

Well that was a bit of a longer break than I anticipated. I decided to give my back a week as was really fragile to movement. Meant to go gym on Saturday but ended up doing a P90X workout with my gf who is currently doing it (as she has no gym membership). Was a pretty good pump and was definitely tired as I was using heavier weights than was probably sensible.

Meant to go on Sunday but was hungover and lazy. Monday was a definite but work is unreal atm and had to stay in the office till 9pm, and Tuesday had a meeting till late.

So roll around Wednesday and I was itching for one, and hating myself for being such a lazy fat-ass. Was interested to see what my working sets would be. I decided to go in with a number and see how it felt leading up to it and see if i could surpass it.

Squats: Was thinking 110kg but ended up doing 114.5/252 3x5. Was pretty easy, definitely easier than the last time.

Bench: Have lost a bit of strength here - 84/185 3x5. Was actually pretty tough. Hopefully start ramping up as i get more gym consistency.

Deadlift: Was feeling strong but tired at the same time, odd. Though 140 was the limit but ended up doing 149/328 x5. 4 and 5 rep were slow and a little shakey but got them done with a shit bar and no chalk. Happy days. Thats a 5RM PR.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    Deadlift: Was feeling strong but tired at the same time, odd. Though 140 was the limit but ended up doing 149/328 x5. 4 and 5 rep were slow and a little shakey but got them done with a shit bar and no chalk. Happy days. Thats a 5RM PR.
    That sounds "lucky", and I don't like being lucky.

There's nothing wrong with leaving the gym without a PR first day back, or not maxing out on a PR, so that there's more left in you for next time. Particularly when first day back is after an injury.

But good work, anyway.

Friday 22 June 2012

Cant remember what I did, think it was 116.8kg on the squat 3x5 but after that I cant remember.
    I do remember it being a good session so lets leave it at that. Especially because:

Monday 25 June 2012
    Felt exhausted coming in. Totally drained.

Squat: Ended up doing 114.5/252 1x5 then 110 2x8.
    Press: 57/125 3x5.
    Deadlift: 150 1x3

Wednesday 27 June 2012
    Slept terribly so felt shit again.

Squat: decided to see what would happen. Did 120/264 2x5. Strangely not that hard.
    Bench: No benches free and couldnt be bothered to wait. Did BB style curls, shoulder raises, chins and pull ups.
    Power Clean: Need training badly, my shoulders hate doing this exercise. Cant seem to get my elbows up and so always catch the bar with elbows pointing down even though i am really trying to rotate my elbows as soon as the 2nd pull. This cause a large force on my shoulders.

This post has been whiny with excuses and thats not who I am. I have written these off as 'better than nothing' sessions. Hope to come back next week guns blazing. Summer is going to be tricky though as going on holiday soon and then unsure of gym access during Olympics...

Cant be bothered to write some of the workouts Ive had. All you need to know is that work has been KICKING MY ASS and I've had to skip sessions due to working late.

(Note: I did squat 120kg/260 5,4,2 on the 27th)

Anyway i've got two weeks left before a week holiday so hope to get some relatively good sessions in before then to tide me over.

July 04 2012

Squat:
    Went a bit differently today given lack of consistent training
    Bar (20) x 5
    50 x 6
    80 x 5
    100 x 3
    110 x 3
    120 x 3
    100 x 8
    80 x 8
    100 x 6
    110 x 5, 5

Push Press
    20 x 5
    40 x 5, 5
    50 x 3
    54 x 3
    56 x 5, 5, 4

Deadlift
    70 x 5
    90 x 5
    110 x 3
    130 x 3
    150 x 5

Chins 5 5 8 and pull ups 5 5 5
    Last edited by StrongLiftMyBalls; 07-05-2012 at 03:00 AM.

Last week before week holiday (no access to gym but will do pushups and squats with my GF on my back) so decided to go for some PRs

Monday did Squats and Press

Squats 120kg 5,5,5 (PR). Hard but getting easier. Im aware my progress hasnt exactly been stellar recently but I will work on that post holiday/Olympics
    Press: 60kg 4,4,3 (PR - of sorts).

Wednesday Deadlift and Bench

Bench: 91kg/200lbs: 5,5 and then stopped. Bicep tendon was aching badly so dropped to 185lbs and did 10reps.
    Deadlift: warmed up and then did reps of 2 until 150kg then moved to singles
    150 x2
    154.5 x 1 (PR)
    160 x 1(PR)
    165 x 1(PR)
    170kg x 1(PR)

Followed by 130 x 9 for volume.

Very happy. Friend said upper back was only rounding very slightly and lower back was fine. Also said i went very red in the face.
    Either way it means that ive already hit my bench goal for the year - am only 11kg off my deadlift goal but unfortunately still 16kg off my squat goal. Funnily enough I really assumed Id hit squat goal before deadlift. I think technique might be the limiting factor here...
    Last edited by StrongLiftMyBalls; 07-23-2012 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Put in reps for deadlift

starting strength coach development program
    Great job on the PRs SLMBs.

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast