Thread: Chris' Training Log: Start Date 06 March 2012

Post Chris' Training: Race to 1,200lbs

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    A bit of background.
    24years old, Male, UK based.
    5ft 9"
    As of Jan 2013 - 82kgs/180lbs - started around 70ish, in Feb.

I work full-time in an office but have a gym opposite the building so go three days a week after work/weekend.

Body history: I have played every sport you can name, several to county level over the years. Have a long history of swimming at a high level and in the past three years have cycled regularly with a club (since stopped). Overall fitness/musculature not bad but could be better. Generally always been pretty strong for my height/weight - generally in the top 10% of achievers but never number 1.

Workout history: sporadic at best. At school we did 4 hours of sport a day (rugby mostly) so was leaner than big. School gym was non-existant (ofc they have since installed a state of the art gym with free weights, barbells, machines). Following school I went to university and sat around and drank. I started going to the gym in order to train for cycling across France in the summer i graduated. Went from 80ishkg (fat) - 70 in a month or so. Lost a lot of upper body strength in the process of all the cycling.

Start Weights:
    Squat: 90kg / 198lbs
    Deadlift: 100 / 220
    Power clean: 60 / 132
    Bench: 52 / 114
    Press: 39 / 85

Current PR's - 31 December 2012
    Squat: 155kg / 341lbs
    Deadlift: 185 / 401
    Power clean: 80 / 176
    Bench: 109 / 240
    Press: 70.5/155

Starting 3 Lift Total = 242/532
    Current PR 3 Lift Total = 446/982

Aims for 2012 WERE:
    Bench - 200lbs (reached May 2012)
    Squat - 300lbs (reached Nov 2012)
    Deadlift - 400lbs (reached Dec 2012)
    And Total 900lb (reached November 2012)

Goals for 2013
    Bench - 300lbs
    Squat - 400lbs
    Deadlift - 500lbs
    And Total 1,200lbs
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by StrongLiftMyBalls; 01-07-2013 at 05:51 AM. Reason: updating

The attchment left off yesterdays session which was

Squat 108kg/238lbs
    Bench 71kg/155lbs
    Power cleans (have been practising them but yday was first actual session)
    57kgs/125lbs

Default Stall and progress

Wed 18 April

Squat: 103kg/226lbs 3x5. Pretty annoyed, had rested well and eaten several large animals whole but tried 110/242 and almost killed myself after 2 reps. I sensibly deloaded and did a faaairly comfortable 103 3x5.

Bench: 75kg/165lbs - was angry after squat fail so pumped these out easily. Looking for 172lbs this week.

Deadlift - 135kg/297lbs 1x5 (with the 5th very shakey). Happy

Monday 23 April

Missed Friday session as external client meeting ran late. Then GF flew over from france and was ill and had to take care of her this weekend (-10 man points but +10 BF points [those can be redeemed for teh sex so evens out])

Was ITCHING to gym it today so went at lunch and busted out:
    Squat: 110kg/242 3x5. Happy but as I have an hour for lunch thats all I could fit in today. Aiming for a full session tomorrow but will likely either not do squats or do light ones as I only just did them today.

Also, quick question if anyone reads this: my hips hurt in the days between sessions. If i stand on one leg i get a twinge or if i lift my leg diagonally 45degrees i get one. Twinge is usually on the outside of my hip, near the back and feels fairly deep inside. Any ideas as to what my squat technique could be doing to cause this?

I'd consider drinking a litre/2pints of milk after your workouts. Milk has an almost magical quality for a bunch of people.

Anyway, welcome to the site.

Quote Originally Posted by StrongLiftMyBalls View Post
    Wed 18 April
    Also, quick question if anyone reads this: my hips hurt in the days between sessions. If i stand on one leg i get a twinge or if i lift my leg diagonally 45degrees i get one. Twinge is usually on the outside of my hip, near the back and feels fairly deep inside. Any ideas as to what my squat technique could be doing to cause this?
    This sounds like it might be a piriformis trigger point. Try lying on a tennis ball. It it hurts like a bitch, hang in there for 30seconds, and see if it tapers off. If it does, work all the way across your butt.

Quote Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
    I'd consider drinking a litre/2pints of milk after your workouts. Milk has an almost magical quality for a bunch of people.

Anyway, welcome to the site.
    Already do some days. Id say Im probably on top of the calories and protein requirement. thanks for the advice though and I hope to see you guys around for quite a while longer.

TUESDAY 24 APRIL 2012

As I did heavy squats at lunch just yesterday I did ~75% 5RM sets of 10:

Squat: 80kg/176lbs 3x10 - I thought these would be a nice deep burn but without too much difficulty. Wrong. Man these suck, reps 8-10 are just pain.
    Bench: 77kg/170lbs 3x5 - In line with +5lbs LP. quite easy so happy.
    Power Cleans: 60kg/132lbs 4x3 1x5 - In line with +5lb LP. Find these tricky technique wise, weight not too bad, and also shoulder flexibility is awful so getting elbows parallel is nigh on impossible. working on stretching these out over coming weeks.

Assistance: Chins: BW 3,3,3,5,3

Stretched and foam rolled for 10mins. Eating and sleeping are generally good. Next workout either Thursday or Friday
    Last edited by StrongLiftMyBalls; 04-25-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Forgot assistance

THURSDAY 26 APRIL 2012

Squat: 112.5kg/247lbs: 3x5 (form collapsed on a few reps in 2nd set. Overall not happy with this session)
    Overhead Press: 39kg/85lbs: 3x5 - Despite having shoulder pain I have decided to start OHP and see if the pain gets better or goes away as strength increases.
    Deadlift: 130kg/286lbs: 1x5 - was fairly easy but not a PR for reasons below.

I will post this in the injury section as well.
    As stated above; my left hip, around the back of the joint has been a bit touchy for a week or so. Iv tried stretching it but hasnt helped much. Last night while doing my PR squats something went a bit funny. Now, when i compress the joint (ie first stand on it, jump just off the ground and land on my left foot) i get a stabbing pain deep inside by the hip but it is very localised and the pain does not travel down the leg at all.
    It is affecting my walking and giving me a slight limp. The pain is short and stabbing when triggered (ie standing up on that leg) but goes away after a few seconds if i maintain the position. Also i get a stabbing pain when i cough or sneeze making me think it is more of a muscular tear than a pinched nerve?

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Last edited by StrongLiftMyBalls; 04-27-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Tuesday 01 May 2012

Had to miss weekend session as had to help aged grandmother move out of her home.
    Went to the gym at lunch time Monday to do shoulder rotator exercises and stretch hip due to continued pain. Also did press so will include it here.

Squat: 110/242 3x5. Didnt go for LP PR as was concerned about hip. Was fairly easy. Hip didnt flare up until the working sets. More on that later

Bench: 80kg/175 3x5. Very happy I can still LP the bench, especially after squat troubles. Felt comfortable.

Power Cleans: 62/137 3x3. To be honest the form wasnt great on these due to hip. Need to practice form anyway though as i dont have good feel on the second pull.

(Press: 41/90kg. Did these at lunch on Monday after shoulder exercises so was a bit tired but they went up, slow, but no danger of failing.)

Also did some practice snatches with 40 and 50kg as they are damn fun.
    Chins: 8,8,7,5
    Back Exts: 3x10 with 25lb weight on chest. Feel these are important as I my upper body collapses a bit on heavy squats.

So overall gym was okay but my Hip is really worrying me. This morning its a killer. Any compression hurts, incl walking. I feel that it could be a tear as by tuesday with four days of rest it was much better and only got worse after the 100kg squat. So although it sucks, and I hate to be one of those guys that just avoids pain and misses workouts, I feel i need it to recover to make the long-term gains Im aiming for.

So, only BW squats for this WHOLE week...... Will continue to do deadlift but will spend this week getting assistance exercises up to help for when the hop is better.
    Last edited by StrongLiftMyBalls; 05-02-2012 at 02:38 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Depressing writing this but injuries are injuries so did what I could.

Thursday 03 May 2012

So skipped squats as i said i would, then realised that deadlifts would be a bad idea as well and had a small cry to myself.

Press: Was going to increase press by 5lb per session but it been very easy and i was upset over squats so increased by 10lbs. 48kg/105lbs 4x5, 1x7 (did more sets as again I am punishing myself)

Then did as much assistance work as I could think of that dont use the hip:

Chins: 10,9,8,6,4
    Seated Row (machine *sigh*): 35kg 4x10
    Back Exts: 4x10 with 35lb plate on chest
    Dips: 3x10 at BW

Did a full 20 minutes of stretching as im an inflexible bastard.
    Session on Saturday will be similar and hope to start squatting again on Tuesday.

Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast